Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Making a live trap

ElaineG
October 29th, 2005, 06:18 PM
In trying to recapture my lost labrador, we are modifying a large wire crate to act as a live trap. Has anyone any idea how to do this?

Lucky Rescue
October 29th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Trying to use crates to trap animals, especially large and powerful ones, is extremely difficult. I've done this only to catch kittens.

You should call all humane societies in your area and see if they have dog traps and if they will loan or rent you one.

ElaineG
October 29th, 2005, 11:08 PM
We live near two humane societies - Cambridge and KW - Cambridge doesn't have such a trap, KW has one but will not lend or rent it to me, nor can they tell me how they made it until the manager returns next week. We are short of options right now.

CyberKitten
October 29th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Have you called the Dept of Natural Resources (it may be called by another name in Ontario).. Here, they too have traps and most forest rangers will lend them to you if they do not need them at that particular time.

ElaineG
October 30th, 2005, 08:37 AM
I plan to call the Ministry of Natural Resources local office. They have trapped wandering bears in Southern Ontario before, so they may have traps. The ministry web page doesn't indicate this service, but the local office may be more forthcoming.

I have also talked to an independent control officer, but his largest trap is too small for my dog.

Has anyone heard of a company called Tomahawk? They're American and make a large dog breed trap. It's an expensive option and by the time it's shipped, my dog may have moved on.

downloader
October 30th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Why trap him? Get some friends, family, co-workers, anyone that can help to go look for him. Labs are not wild dangerous beasts. They are one of the most friendly dogs. Leave food out for him don't give up. Good luck

ElaineG
October 30th, 2005, 01:27 PM
The trouble is my dog doesn't want to come in. He spent the first four years of his life roaming free on a breeder's property before his labs were rescued. They weren't abused, just allowed to roam. This is what he knows. I only had him for less than two years, but he showed no inclination to revert until now. The terrain where he is lost is steep and wooded. My friends and my son have been down there, approached him and he has run off. I don't know how to catch him except by trap.

CyberKitten
October 30th, 2005, 01:44 PM
What about a large net? I recall reading an experience of a dog rescuer who waited for a large dog (a lab or a dalmation, can't recall - in fact, it may be one of the women who founded imom.org and reading that might give you some hints. She literally waited and watched - sort of like feral cat trappers who wait set humane traps (like the Tomahawk or Have a Heart) and then wait. What about a vet in the area or a rescue group? Surely someone must have a trap!!

ElaineG
October 30th, 2005, 04:41 PM
You would think, but no such luck. My son would like the net idea. The question is will he wait long enough and get close enough to use it. Still, I'm open to all ideas.

Prin
October 30th, 2005, 05:13 PM
How about meat? Nice smelly meat?

CyberKitten
October 30th, 2005, 05:40 PM
I still have not found that narrative about the person who was wiating to "trap" her lost dalmation or lab - I know I bookmarked it but I think it is on another computer - at my office, ugh!! I'll try to search tho - it is awhile aho since I read it but I seem to recall it had lots of tips. It was quite a process she went thru so I do not envy you!

I labsit my brother's chocolate lab but he is not the type to wander - tho he does love to take off for a small mud pond in front of my home, lol But you know how labs are with water!

CyberKitten
October 30th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I found the story thru a link on imom. Here it is (tho I am not sure hoe she finally rescues the dog - and whether it will help you) but it's an interesting story - well for the most part!

http://www.imom.org/voices/rescue/lady.htm

ElaineG
October 30th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Many thanks for the link cyberkitten. I have bookmarked it and will contact imom to find out about the trap they used. The area where my dog is camped out is extemely hilly and wooded so trap placement is also an issue. Prin, I left smelly meat out this morning, but who knows what other animal will take the treat.

CyberKitten
October 30th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I think you or your son will have to take meat and wait for your dog. It is getting colder now so really it's not safe for him to be outside much longer. And you do not want to be doing this in the cold. I would wait with the food and call him and grab with a net when he came. I mean, labs are very social and he is YOUR dog - he is just roaming. It is not as if you have to gain his trust - he has no reason to think you will hurt him. It may take several days or more to do this but I think you or your son or someone will need to wait for him patiently and grab him when he shows up. Or what about buying one of those large dog kennels and putting food in it. You could always use the kennel again or donate it to some Rescue organization - or keep it in the event he runs off again and you need it once more (hopefully NOT!). Does he have a special teat? Does he like to go for rides in the car?( You could suggest that so he hears you.) I think where you have no trap, it might be a worthwhile investment since winter is coming and it is not safe for a domestic dog to be out in this kind of weather!

Good luck!!

Prin
October 30th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Prin, I left smelly meat out this morning, but who knows what other animal will take the treat.
Well, ya... You have to be watching; otherwise you'll just feed the neighborhood... :D

ElaineG
October 31st, 2005, 07:34 AM
I'm not sure I can get down the slope safely and back up again. The riverebank itself is very steep and I'd need hip waders to traverse parts of the river. He couldn't have picked a worse place. My son can get down there, but he's not as desparate as I am. Emailing imom today. I may even phone.

ElaineG
October 31st, 2005, 12:22 PM
Update. The humane society has a large trap and is willing to loan it to us as long we set it in the morning and spring it at night. The problem will be to get it in position. Do we repel down the slope or put on hip waders and risk the river?

ElaineG
November 1st, 2005, 06:44 PM
:fingerscr I am placing a trap tomorrow with the help of the humane society. I will have to bait it in the morning and spring it before night falls. We don't want any animals freezing to death. We can't place it where Jasper was actually living as the trap is too heavy to get over the terrain. It will have to be on the road - a road which is blocked by barriers due to a recent washout. I hope he is still in the area. This is day nine and I am heartsick. If only they knew.

ElaineG
November 3rd, 2005, 06:36 PM
Two days and the trap and the food in it hasn't been touched - by any animal. This weekend, I will try to sit in his territory with some food in the hopes that he will approach. The net sounds like a good idea. The trouble is, he is being atypical for a lab and will not come for anyone. The group of rescue labs from which he came - a vet informed me, has behavioural problems - this I wasn't aware of. It is definately complicating the search. Many thanks for the suggestions. I will try everything.