Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog peed on floor!

shannonRN
October 29th, 2005, 04:48 PM
My 6 1/2yr old GSD just peed on the floor when I was in the next room--I heard it and came to look. It wasn't a full void, but more like the amt he would mark territory with. He has never ever done anything like this ever before.

Of course, the first thing I think of is illness, UTI, etc, but is there any chance this is related to his recent food change? He had eaten the same food for quite a long time, but I started to switch him to a new food ~Oct 2nd or 3rd and he has been off the old food altogether since about Oct 14. The reason for the food switch was r/t gas experienced on the old food.

He has been his old self otherwise, minus the gas he had on the previous diet.

I'm just so shocked! I will take him to the vet on Monday--but what can I expect from this visit? I mean, in a human I'd expect to get a clean-catch urine sample for culture, but what is done for dogs? Do they straight cath them for a sample and go from there? Could it be behavioral related to diet change?

jawert1
October 29th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Oh wow, this is deja vu for me. Simon started that a few months ago and we've been through several rounds at the vet. They'll do urine samples to test for protein, possible crystal formation, and bacteria cultures. They may also do blood work and xrays (to rule out stones). Good luck, I pray that you don't go through what I'm in the middle of right now :)

Lucky Rescue
October 29th, 2005, 05:19 PM
When my dog (5 yr old spayed female) started peeing on the floor the first time, it was a bladder infection. the second time, it was bladder stones.

I'd expect to get a clean-catch urine sample for culture, but what is done for dogs?

That's exactly what I did with my dog. Went out with her for her first morning pee, and caught it in a very clean pill bottle.

CyberKitten
October 29th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Same here. When our elderly poodle urinated on the floor, something he had NEVER done since puppyhood, I took him outside with a pill vial and got a sample to take with me to see the vet later that day. He had kidney disease - but in his case (unlike your dog who is young), he was also elderly and even with the best food there was at that time, had already had a couple bladder infections.