Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Odin got bit!

raingirl
October 29th, 2005, 01:12 PM
We went to the Beaches in toronto today to meet a friend and her dog. we went to the beach and had a ton of fun. Odin went in the lake and got covered in sand of course!

Anyway, after, we went to Bark and Fitz and got him his favorite bone (he already destroyed two of the same one) then walked down to the 3 dog bakery. As soon as we walked in, the resident dog niped at Odin and got him in the ear. At first we notice blood, but didn't know whose it was, then notice Odin's ear was ripped.

anyway, we went to my friends vet that was close by and he is ok. No major damage, just needs antibiotics so that it doesn't get infected. And the owner/worker at the store paid for it all. He felt really bad and won't be bringing his dog to the store anymore. I know it was an accident, so no worries there.

I asked the vet about what we should put on it and she said nothing. She said not to touch it at all, as it was clotting well, and we don't want to mess with it. That's fine. But what if it gets itchy as it's healing? What if he tries to scratch it?

Also, whenever he shakes his head or rolls on his back, it breaks open and bleeds, so we are constantly having to watch him and put pressure on it until it clots again.

And what really sucks is he SMELLS because he was at the beach in the sand, and we can't give him a bath until this heals, or he will just shake his head a lot, and risk the scab falling off. EWWW

I was thinking of putting Gentian Violet on it, as it is a mild antiseptic, won't irritate it, and will stop the itchiness.

Toonces
October 29th, 2005, 02:11 PM
oh poor Odin, he was having such a fun day. Glad to hear that the owner of the dog was responsible.

Can you maybe try a cone on him so he can't get at it. I know they hate them but if it works its worth a try.

jesse's mommy
October 29th, 2005, 03:32 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Odin, but at least he was having fun until than and at least he is alright now and nothing too serious happened. I'm really glad to hear the owner was as responsible as he was. But look at it this way, at least the owner found out his dog can be like this and didn't do too much damage. It really could have been a lot worse.

Puppyluv
October 29th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Awww poor Odin! :grouphug:
Good thing you noticed it before it had a chance to get infected. What about giving him a "dry bath" or a wet cloth rub down? (to get rid of the beach-stink). Because it's on his ear, which moves a lot, it will probably take a while to heal :( (I remember when I was getting Layla spayed, there was a puppy lab there with a cut on her tail, and because she kept wagging her tail, her entire body was covered in blood, and the cut took forever to heal)
I hope he feels better! (At least he has his favorite bone to chew on!)

Prin
October 30th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Poor Odin... Is it a huge cut or just a little one? If it kept opening, depending on what it looked like, I might be inclined to put a bandaid on it... But only as a last resort because taking it off again is pretty hard if there's hair there... :eek: People I know swear by polysporin, but I'm not sure if this is the type of cut to use that on (I don't want to advise something that is totally wrong for the situation, you know? I've never used polysporin on a doggy before...)

PetFriendly
October 30th, 2005, 01:50 PM
If Odin is stinky, brushing him lots might help. I know it works wonders for both my little Charley and my parents' golden. Charley gets brushed daily and hasn't had a bath since early September and from looking (and smelling) at him, you'd never know.