Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog eats cat poop

Coetzer
October 29th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Hi, my name is coetzer and I have a 4 year old jack russell. He is of course the greatest dog in the world, unlike some JR's he is quite content sleeping on my chest rather than run around. I guess I'm lucky that way. In any case I had a 14 year old female cat move into my apartment recently and low and behold no fights or anything.

However Tyson has now been caught twice eating from the cat litterbox. Is there anything I can do. He has been spoken too. It also makes his breath smell something awfull.

Thanks

Lucky Rescue
October 29th, 2005, 12:02 PM
The only way to stop this, which is very common behavior with dogs since they are attracted to the protein in cat poop, is to make sure he cannot get access to the box.

Is this cat very small? In good condition and can jump?

Puppyluv
October 29th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Is there anyway that you can put the litterbox somewhere that your JRT can't get at? The cat poop is tasty to him, but not good for him, and the litter itself, if scoopable, is really really bad for him. There's also a possibility that your dog is lacking in a certain vitamin or mineral and is trying to acquire it through other means (a condition known as pica), or he may just like poop :yuck:
Either way, moving the litter box, to say somewhere elevated, or gated off, will help.

Coetzer
October 29th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Thank you all, we have discussed moving the litterbox to a higher position where he can't get through.

gottahavepets
October 29th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Welcome, I have the same problem with my border collie, if she doesn't eat it right away she rolls around in it. It is a survival instinct and there may be no way to make the dog stop. Try a hooded litter box in a room that the cat only can get into. I have seriously considered cat doors into the room where the boxes are (I have two cats, thus three boxes). There may be products you can spray on the box to ward the dog off but I won't guarantee that will work, the instinct to hide their scent is hardwired into them. They love any kind of poop. Cat is handy because it is in our homes. You could also try scooping everytime you notice there's been a "deposit". Good luck, I've given up and am grateful I have no diapers in the house anymore.