Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jasper

ElaineG
October 28th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Less than two years ago, I adopted a rescue lab from the KW Humane Society. Jasper is a yellow lab, male, with porcupine scars on his nose. He is 6 years old. On Monday, October 24th, he escaped from a friend's house on Riverbank Drive in Cambridge. He has been sighted along the steep, wooded riverbank and has been approached several times. He always runs away, even from me. He seems to want to stay in the woods. How do I coax Jasper to come back to my friend's house? It is difficult terrain and I have to rely on hardier friends to comb the area. He has been gone five days now and we are worried sick. We have tried putting out food but it is untouched. We have even tried playing a recording of my voice all night. I am afraid that we will drive him further away by crashing through the woods.

Sheltielover
October 29th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Hi Elaine,

I'm sorry to hear about your Jasper. hes beautiful. I am in the same boat as you,unfortunately. My little Sheltie was out at her breeders getting ready for a show in outside of Belleville, when she got out and ran away from her home. She went missing on Oct 17,2005. She was sighted the first night, then the 3rd day and then the 5th day, each time someone was running after her and she was running away faster. We have had a couple of false leads, being different dogs,but we've followed up on every lead. We have another today but we aren't sure whether it was her ot not :fingerscr . She has been gone 12 days now and I miss her more than anything. I'm hoping for miracles that she will be returned to us safe and sound. I will say some prayers for Jaspers safe return as I'm saying them for my "Abbey". Does Jasper have a microchip?

Also Have you tried setting a trap in the area? This is what people have been telling me but she doesn't stay in one place shes all over the board.

cpietra16
October 29th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Hi Elaine, I hope you find him..if he is social, I mean with other dogs, you can always have other dogs run around and see if that brings him out. My Winnie will more likely go and see another dog than a human, including me sometimes. Is your dog known to play or be friendly with your friends dogs? WOuld he come out of the bushes if he heard them play and get excited? Its worth a try. Good luck.

ElaineG
October 29th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Thank you for the kind thoughts and suggestions. Two of us in the same boat may make for easier rowing. It sure hurts to know that your dog doesn't want to live with you. Jasper is still in the same Riverbank Drive area and seems to have a well established territory. People see him but he just takes off when approached.

Yes, we are investigating modifying a wire crate into a live trap. It seems the KW Humane Society used a similar contraption to catch some of the rescue labs originally. We just have to get it to work and check it daily. A local independant dog catcher recommended raw meat since Jasper has not been tempted by his normal biscuits. My son says there are tons of mice in the woods!

Please let me know if you should find your dog on this latest lead :fingerscr . I sincerely hope you do and soon. This has been an agonizing week and we are drained of energy.

Very sincerely,

Elaine

CyberKitten
October 29th, 2005, 09:44 PM
These 2 web sites are two of the best web sites I know of with ideas, references and resources for people attempting to find lost animals. The second is for cats but some dog owners may find some hints there.

http://www.pet-detective.com/
http://www.catsinthebag.org/

Good luck - don't give up. I know of a family in Halifax who found their missing dog 7 years after he went missing and another 4 years later. The norm of course is much faster of corse - if you read these site, esp the 1st, you will see that. Often, pets are not all that far from home. In the case of the dogs I mentioned, both had been stolen.

Call the SPCA, rescue groups, any and every lab that does research in your province - they sometimes do find that a boucher has sold them a family pet!! And if your dog is microchipped, you can show them it is your dog. There is a sad case somewhere (I forget exactly, mayne Massachusetts?) where illicit drug dealers have stolen 3 week old puppies from a home and even if they sell the pups, they are not weaned yet and still need to be fed prper forumula and helped to eliminate! (and they also stole an 8 week old Siamese kitten - tho I wondered what anyone was doing with a kitten that young that was a "gift". And they actualy sound like backyard breeders but that does not lessen the tragedy of these little puppies and their mama!!

Anyway, in most inststances, family pets are often not that far from home - my poodle was once lost for an evening and when we found him after a long exhausting night, he looked sooo happy to be home, he never ever broke out of the backyard again and my grandpa fixed the place in the fence he had managed to get out of. But of my God, it was hell searching and not knowing so my heart goes out to you!!

Here is the story about the lost puppy (http://www.gilroydispatch.com/news/contentview.asp?c=171363)

ElaineG
October 29th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Good night Jasper and Abbey. Stay safe and warm until you come home. We miss you so much.

Sheltielover
October 30th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Hi Elaine, Are you hangin in there,o.k? This is very tough isn't it :sad:
Has there been any sightings of Jasper? We had 2 sightings on Friday but the people didn't call till yesterday. as they hadn't seen the missing ad till then. This is now her 13th day missing, and I miss her like crazy!!!! I hope shes getting a little food somehow, I know water is pretty plentiful where she is missing from, and hope shes staying warm at nights too( All the same for Jasper as well) :fingerscr . God please bring our babies home safe to us very soon. We love them so much!!!!!!!

ElaineG
October 30th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Jasper was seen yesterday (Saturday October 29) but ran off as has been his habit lately. I was frustrated to learn that some of the rescue labs had to be live trapped and that is why I am thinking about a trap. Also, his territory seems to be quite circumscribed. I am becomming increasingly concerned because he has been seen limping.

I know how you feel about Abbey and wonder how you are managing. I feel guilty about leaving him with a friend. My friend is devasted too and has been looking every day, hiking through difficult terrain.

I am just sapped of energy. I have difficulty working. I haven't opened my office blinds since last Sunday. I can't bear to look out on Jasper's yard. How do I work and do all the normal living things knowing that Jasper is out there? And he doesn't want to come in!

I can't get the humane societies to get down there and help us catch him! I was so angry yesterday, I swore at the KW Humane Society woman who just seemed to be throwing up blocks. The Cambridge lot are the same. None of the control officers will go in and look. Too difficult. Too dangerous. Not our jurisdiction. My son, my friends have been doing it!

And, the postmortems! You should have done this, you didn't do that, you should have known. I am totally beaten down. Have you had this?

Since we haven't heard, I think your last lead must have been unsuccessful. We have to keep searching even though some are saying, "You've done enough. You have to move on." Are they serious? Hang in there. Me too.

Sheltielover
October 31st, 2005, 11:23 AM
Hi Elaine, Yes our search is still on.....I'm so frustarted though.....The apparent last sighting of(or at least 2 different people thought it was her)Is a good 10-15 min drive from where she was last spotted.3 days before that.... There is a really nice person on this board that is helping me look and being very helpful to us,as she lives out that way. I am so much like you in the fact that I can't concentrate on anything, I've been short fused, and shes all thats on my mind.....I'm trying to do my norm daily routine but it so hard.
I have had to deal with some very rude animal control officers. One told me that "shes probably been eaten by a wolf" I COULDN"T BELIEVE THAT, that he would actually say that to someone whos just lost there beloved dog. Course I could'nt say anything because I just burst into tears at that moment and hung up. I'm happy there has been another sighting of Jasper.....don't you just wish they would give themselves in....(AUGH)Lets keep the faith, together we will get through this, and be reunited with our babies :love:

ElaineG
October 31st, 2005, 12:31 PM
After swearing at the humane society yesterday, today they are out looking for a trap, that they are willing to loan to us as long as we set it during the day and spring it every night. They will have to help us get it into position. How to do this is unclear: repel down the slope or don hip waders and risk a river crossing.

I don't know how some of these control officers actually get their jobs. One year a lady (a complete stranger) and I had to badger a control officer to rescue a duck and her ducklings from the side of a major highway where they were trapped by a concrete median. He said to just let them get killed on the road!

The mind is a difficult thing to shut down. I am working today in a somewhat distracted manner. He is constantly there and, you are so right about the frustration. The level is very high right now. Yesterday, I felt 95 years old.

Hang in there. We are together.

cpietra16
October 31st, 2005, 12:35 PM
I so hope you are both lucky soon and get a good lead. I can just imagine how frustrating it is to have people spot your dogs and yet you are never there when it happens. My fingers are crossed, and keep your faith...they have been spotted so they are ok at this point. When I lived on Vancouver island I saw so many packs of wild dogs (once pets), so dogs in general are very social...its just a matter of time. Try and use a few dogs to get your dog out in the open,ElaineG.

jesse's mommy
October 31st, 2005, 08:51 PM
I too hope you both find your dogs. I did find an article that might cheer you up. No matter what happens, never give up hope. Here it is:

Betty Jordt, who lives just north of Sioux City, Iowa was overjoyed to see her taffy-colored Lab mix standing out back one afternoon -- as if nothing had happened. But in fact, this Fido had disappeared seven months earlier.
Jordt had adopted the dog from a shelter five years ago. He had always come when called, the retired schoolteacher told reporters. But one day seven months ago, he just vanished.

Despite enlisting the help of the sheriff's office and placing ads in the newspapers, she couldn't find her Fido. Just before Jordt's birthday, Taffy had returned wearing his collar, but not the tags. Still, Jordt says he looks as though someone took good care of him.

We love happy endings.

ElaineG
November 1st, 2005, 06:42 PM
I sincerely hope there is a happy ending for both Jasper and Abbey. I am placing a trap tomorrow with the help of the humane society. I will have to bait it in the morning and spring it before night falls. We don't want any animals freezing to death. We can't place it where Jasper was actually living as the trap is too heavy to get over the terrain. It will have to be on the road - a road which is blocked by barriers due to a recent washout. I hope he is still in the area. :fingerscr This is day nine and I am heartsick. If only they knew.

Sheltielover
November 1st, 2005, 08:08 PM
HI Elaine, We are also setting a trap up tomorrow for Abbey and I pray to that she is still in the area :fingerscr . Good Luck with Jasper, there will be a lot of praying tonight for these two babies.....

ElaineG
November 2nd, 2005, 10:06 AM
The trap for Jasper is set and I am being cautiously optimistic. Because he is a big dog, the trap was very heavy, took two guys to carry it and was very tricky to set. Sigh.

CyberKitten
November 2nd, 2005, 02:19 PM
Good luck Elaine!!

doggy lover
November 2nd, 2005, 04:14 PM
I hope you guys catch your puppies, good luck and keep us updated.

ElaineG
November 2nd, 2005, 05:24 PM
No luck today, but we have the trap for as many days as we want, and there are two of us to do the baiting/springing.

cpietra16
November 2nd, 2005, 06:25 PM
My thought are with...I am sending postive vibs your way....it will happen.

Sheltielover
November 3rd, 2005, 05:32 PM
Elaine, How are you doing? Any signs yet??? I am getting so frustrated. SOmeone phoned and said they saw her 2 days ago(why can't they phone sooner) she is heading in the direction back, kind of circling, but in order to set the trap we need a recent sighting....Anyone living in Foxboro/Frankford area, Please keep your eyes open for my Sheltie :fingerscr Abbey, we need a sighting of her soon :fingerscr . I hope there is some good news on Jasper,Elaine...please I need some good news...... :fingerscr

ElaineG
November 3rd, 2005, 06:26 PM
Hi:

After two days, the trap is still empty and the food untouched - by any animal - and there has been no sign of Jasper. My friend says her dog disappears for twenty minutes when walked and she thinks she is visiting Jasper. He may still be in the area. The trap is really our last hope, but he is very wary.

I hope you have better luck with Abbey. Is she used to a crate? A trap won't be much different. Jasper hated his crate. At least sightings are an indication that Abbey is still well and safe. If she is circling, there is hope that you will intersect with her eventually. Have you mapped the sightings?

It's been a long time. We have to keep trying and keep other people interested in helping. What a blessing the weather has been so good. I'm trying to keep busy, but Jasper is always on my mind.

I had a call from an older man this week who had lost his black lab. He said he felt like something was missing inside. Well put.

ThaiGhing
November 3rd, 2005, 10:41 PM
Hello, I am wondering if either of you had any luck today?? I really hope you both get your doggies back home where they belong soon.

t.pettet
November 4th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Hi Elaine, so sorry to hear about your difficulties securing Jasper but I have caught many stray dogs with the use of a female in heat. I'll start at the beginning: about 2 yrs. ago there was a scruffy collie mix hanging around the small town I live in but animal control and many other concerned people couldn't get within 10 ft. of him. Everyone was worried that he'd get hit by a car or just starve to death, anyway at that time I had just received a beagle to foster from a rescue org. and she went into heat while in my care (she was spayed after her heat ended and re-homed) so I put her in the back seat of my car tied to the door knob, left one rear door open and parked the car where the stray hung out at the local park. I went and hid some distance away and within 15 minutes the collie was circling the car and had hoped in. A mad dash to close the door on him (he didn't even notice as he was so enamoured of the beagle) and I was able to put a loop around his neck and call animal control. The beagle wasn't impressed with his advances and gave him a little nip on the side of his face, but he was captured and resides with me. He took some time to adjust but is a wonderful dog. If you could even get the urine from a female in heat (a breeding kennel could oblige) and put it in the trap you'd have a good chance of capture. Apparently a male can detect that odour from miles away. Good luck and hope this helps.

ElaineG
November 4th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Hmmm. Jasper is neutered. Would that make a difference to his level of interest? If not, it is definatley worth a try.

I put raw steak in the trap tonight and left it open as the nightime will be mild. We'll see if that works.

Sheltielover
November 5th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Elaine, We finally have our trap up to.....I pray this works for both of us. :fingerscr

t.pettet
November 5th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Hi Elaine, the scent of urine from a dog in heat has attracted neutered males and any other dog in the vicinity including other females. Its a highly potent attracting magnet. Any kennels in your area who could assist you?

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 12:03 AM
That is a crazy clever idea. Neutered males will certainly be attracted to heat smell. The only difference between a neutered and an intact male is that the intact will go hunting for a smell he hasn't smelled yet, whereas a neutered one will just wait for a smell to accidentally hit him and then go after it... Does that make any sense at all? :o