Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

last resort...

JessXx
October 28th, 2005, 10:44 PM
What can someone do besides chaining the dog up if they jump the fence?
We've done everything for my Shyla but she still jumps the damn fence...

Lucky Rescue
October 28th, 2005, 11:04 PM
How long is she being left in the yard? What kind of exercise is she getting? We need a little more info.

She's a husky, right? Huskies are known to be escape artists. These are true working dogs, get bored easily and want to run, since this is what they were bred to do, although I'm sure you know that.

I suggest you do something like sledding with her, or something else strenuous to work off her energy.:)

twodogsandacat
October 29th, 2005, 09:27 AM
How high is the fence? If it is four feet make it six feet.

JessXx
October 29th, 2005, 04:18 PM
hey, yes shes a huskie. She likes to be outside for most of the day and most of the night so shes out a lot. Shes not unhappy and her chain is long enough for her to get good exercise... so shes not confined too much. We walk her all the time, trying to get in at least 2-4 hours a day......
shes pretty energetic and grew up on the farm, being free, she doesnt like the city rules ;)!

yoda900_ca
October 29th, 2005, 07:08 PM
i had an alaskan malamute that was an escape artist too. It took me about 9months before i cam up with a meathod. Fences he dug under. Invisible fence was truely invisable to the dog. We bolted a heavy duty cable between a large tree and our garage.(the smaller tree he riped out as well as the frame of the garage) and hooked him up to a run that was 60ft long the led from the dog to the run was about 14ft so he had plenty of room to move. We used a choke chain but i didn't know about prong collars then and would have rather used that. It seemed to work well he never got loose after that.