Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Normal for male cat to pee high?

Snooky'sMom
October 28th, 2005, 06:41 PM
I got a new cat from the shelter a week ago. I already had a resident female and have limited access to eachother so far. The male kitty is 4 years old and quite bold. My problem is when he uses his litter he stands up when he pees and as a result it go all over the inside of the litter box (Thank goodness there's a hood on it.). It's creating quite a stink and I have to clean it daily or twice daily. I've had a male cat before and he never did this. Is this just an aggresive response to being in a new place? He is being kept confined from my other kitty and they each have their own litter. I sure hope it's temporary!

LM1313
October 28th, 2005, 08:40 PM
It sounds like he's spraying (marking his territory.) At least he's spraying IN the litter box and not on the walls! Is he neutered? Unneutered males are more likely to spray.

~LM~

happycats
October 28th, 2005, 08:52 PM
My one male "Sega" who is 12 has been doing the same thing for 12 years!
He doesn't ever spray in the house and never has, he just stands up when he pees (kinda like a human man :rolleyes: ) I clean the litter (and Sega's pee spot daily as well)

Snooky'sMom
October 29th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Thanks. He is neutered. Was with a family for four years and one of the kids developed allergies so he was taken to a shelter. He was there for 2 months. I'm thinking that the shelter life stressed him out and it might take some time before he feels secure in his new home. Then again , he might have been doing this way before the shelter. The lady who had him before had all his possessions with him too and his litter box is well marked in the back from urine . Now that I'm hearing other male cats are like that it just might be his way.

Snooky'sMom
November 1st, 2005, 08:07 AM
Looks like I solved the problem. It was his litter. It was too small and with the hood it didn't provide any room for moving around. I got him a BIG litter pan with no hood and the problem is solved!