Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten peed on my bed!!

Stacer
October 28th, 2005, 06:07 PM
I got home from work today and gave my kittens their usual pets and cuddles when I came through the door. I was changing my clothes in my bedroom, and petting Finn who was on the bed. Angus jumped up and went to my husband's side of the bed, turned to face me, then proceeded to urinate. It took me a second to register what he was doing. I was unsure what to do, do I pick him up and move him to the litterbox mid-pee, let him finish and punish him? I ran for the squirt bottle and when I returned he had finished and was just walking away form it. I sprayed him. Was it too late? Anyway, does anyone have any advice on how to get kitty urine out of a down duvet, or should I just take it to the cleaners?

LM1313
October 28th, 2005, 06:18 PM
My kitten likes to pee on anything soft. But if there isn't anything like that around, he'll use the litterbox . . . so at the moment I just don't leave anything soft on the floor and I shut the bedroom door while I'm at work! I was thinking one of these days I'd set up an "ambush" for him by leaving something soft on the floor and aiming ye olde spraybottle when he goes for it. BUT he doesn't always dig before he pees, so it can be hard to tell if he's peeing or just about to sit down.

Anyway, I too have been having trouble getting the smell out of the bedspread. I've used a ton of Nature's Miracle, an enzymic cleaner, but it doesn't seem to help on the bedspread at all, although it did a TERRIFIC job on my coat when he got to that. Am I using the stuff wrong? I've just been letting it soak in and air dry.

I think if you moved the kitty to the litterbox in mid-pee and then punished him, he might think you're punishing him for going in the litterbox instead of on the bed.

~LM~

Puppyluv
October 28th, 2005, 06:27 PM
I woud take the duvet to the cleaners. I just read an article last week about the mites that are found in duvets, and that we should wash them at least once a month. Might as well take advantage of the cat pee (sounds odd I know) and give it a good clean.

kayla
October 28th, 2005, 07:21 PM
A recent foster dog peed in my bed and it still stinks. If you figure out how to get out the smell PLEEEEEASE share!

CyberKitten
October 28th, 2005, 08:11 PM
NEVER EVER punish your kitten. Cats do not understand punishment and the nky response is they will fear you - who they associate with whatever punishment was given - and using a water bottle is punishment. The only way water bottles work is if you squirt the water in such a manner that they cannot see you so they associate the water with the place/duvet/activity. Otherwise, it's just a waste of time and harms your bond with your kitten.

Cats who urinate inapropriate always have a reason for doing so. Is he not neutered and as a male, seeking to mark territory - urinating is one way males do this. Does he have a medical problem? A uti - urinary tract infection? Is he unhappy with the litter box? Is he distressed about something?

By the way, when cats urinate as a means of elimination, they normally do it on a horizontal or flat surface like the ground or in a litterbox. When cats spray in order to mark their territory, they turn their backsides to the object, twitch their tails and spray urine on the vertical surface. So think about how he actually did it and that can give you a clue as to part of the answer as to why.

Firsly, you need to rule out a medical problem with a vet visit. If he is fine and all the test results normal, then you need to ascertain the reason for the behaviour. If it is because he likes soft areas, either keeping him away from the area or discouraging him - that would be hard if he sleeps with you tho it is hard to imagine any animal not ill urinating where he sleeps. (Even after he was neutered, my rabbit urinated a couple times on my bed - still marking his territory and if it's possible, I think rabbit urine smells worse than cat urine, lol ). If he is unhappy with the litter or location - is it in a relatively private area and does he have his own litter box. The rule of thumb is one litter box per cat plus one. What about the litter?

Also, make sure you get the smell out completey because cats who smell their urine where they previously voided will think this is where they should go again. So you need to clean it thoroughly and not use any bleach - since the fnely tuned sense of smell felines have will smell the similar smell in the bleach.

I have my own finely honed method of ridding a mattress, chair, rug of the smell. First, start asap by blotting the area to absorb as much of the fowl smelling stuff as you can. Old or paper Towels work well for this. Then, 1 qt warm water and 1/2 cup white vinegar, and dribble the mixture oin the stain. Do not rub it in - blot the area until you no longer see the stain. Finally wash the duvet and add Nature's Miracle or Pet 'Oops' Remover - whichever has worked for you in the past. There are others on the market as well with those who swear by them. If after all that you still smell the area or see the stain, apply more Nature's Miracle or another enzyme cleaner.

Or, as Puppluv suggests, you could bring it to the drycleaners for a good overall cleaning. But the above process has worked for me over the years.

TobsterMom
October 28th, 2005, 08:16 PM
I watched an episode of Ellen once...she had a problem with her kitty peeing on her duvet. For weeks she couldn't figure out why. Her vet said that cats are often attracted to the down in duvets and like to pee on it. She put her duvet away, and hasn't had the problem since.

JessXx
October 28th, 2005, 09:12 PM
umm i do think it was a bit late, just say no if no spray bottle is handy, cause he might think u punished him for urinating in the litter box and you def. dont want that ;).
My cat has done it b4, she did it cause her litterbox was full (i was not home b/c I couldnt be and my sister forgot to clean it) so is that possible. another reason is because they are angry at the owner, this may be the case, are you out of the house a lot? is he fixed? because you know with male cats...
If none of these things are possibilities, take him in to the vet to see if its not health related.
And you can get out the cats pee by just washing it about 2-4 times with some tide or bounce (anything should work.)

Stacer
October 28th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Well, I think we've figured out why he may have peed on the bed. We discussed it and looked stuff up on the internet. We figure because we are away all day at work he's angry for being left home alone and expressed his displeasure. We read that cats often will urinate on areas where the owners like to sit/sleep, etc..., especially after being left home alone for a long period of time. And I was paying more attention to Finn when he decided to do his business.

Cyberkitten, Angus was definitely urinating, he was squatting and I initially though maybe he was starting to crouch to pounce on Finn. He's not neutered yet, he's only four months and we've got an appointment for him to get the snip in early December. From what we've been told by the vet, his spraying/marking instinct won't kick in until after 6 months or so. This was the first time this has happened, if it happens again we'll take him to the vet to get checked out. But we're sure it was him expressing his displeasure with us.

I think we'll take the duvet to the cleaners and treat the duvet cover in an enzyme solution and give it a good wash. I've heard that blotting the area with isopropyl alcohol will also take some of the stink out, I may give that a try. And I may also search for a book on cat psychology!

Puppyluv
October 28th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Well, I think we've figured out why he may have peed on the bed. We discussed it and looked stuff up on the internet. We figure because we are away all day at work he's angry for being left home alone and expressed his displeasure. We read that cats often will urinate on areas where the owners like to sit/sleep, etc..., especially after being left home alone for a long period of time. And I was paying more attention to Finn when he decided to do his business.

Granted, I'm talking about a dog here, but my dog did the exact same thing, for what I think was, the same reason. I had left her much longer than ever before, and it was pouring rain that day, so when i got home, i just took her out for a quick pee break, and then went to change my clothes so we could go for a full walk, well she wasn't too impressed by my lack of attention that day, and jumped up on my bed and started to let loose. (She was fully housetrained at this point) She has never done it since, but I'm thinking they were similar situations.