Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some things should just NOT be shared between dog and owner.

Puppyluv
October 28th, 2005, 05:02 PM
EWWWWWWWWWW
Some things were just not meant to be shared between dog and person. Actually, some things were just not meant to be experienced by either.
I took Layla to the vet today because she was due for her rabies vaccine, and she had a small eye infection and a growth on her muzzle.
Well it turns out that the growth is ring worm, which the vet suspects came from a dog at the park, because I noticed it shortly after a play-time with a new doggy.

After the vet, I had a dr appointment, because I had some really annoying eczema on my elbow. Well guess what, it's not eczema, it's ring worm :yuck:

Now we're both on the same meds, (terbinafine)and have to keep ourselves covered to prevent spread.
I'm all for sharing things with your dog and vv, but this is just too much!!!

Shamrock
October 28th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Oh no, puppyluv! :yuck: I am sorry that you and Layla have picked up this nasty fungus... and hope the meds will get rid it quickly for you both.

Prin
October 28th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Sorry, but that's really funny. You know you're spending too much time with your doggy when... :D Good luck with getting better. :)

Puppyluv
October 28th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Sorry, but that's really funny. You know you're spending too much time with your doggy when... :D Good luck with getting better. :)

I know.. I was walking home with her thinking, "maybe my friends are right.... I have to get out more" But then looked at those big brown eyes of hers, well actually one big brown eye, and one red swollen, weeping eye, and thought "Nahh what do my friends know?" and then let her lick me all over..... so if I come back tomorrow with an eye infection you'll know why... :rolleyes:

jesse's mommy
October 28th, 2005, 06:49 PM
We just took the rescued kitty to the vet today and everything checked out fine, except for the fact that the vet thinks the kitty might have the start of ringworm on her nose. Well, this kitty has been coming up to me and rubbing her nose to mine, my fiance has been petting the kitty's nose, and my dog has been cleaning this kitty for a week now. So here's the possible scenario: I might be getting ringworm on the tip of my nose, my fiance on his finger and my dog on her tongue! Just keep your fingers crossed none of us get it. If I get it on my nose I'll post a picture of my nose for everyone to laugh at!!!

Puppyluv
October 28th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Jesse's Mommy- :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr
It's not fun!! I've only had it for a while ( :o so now half my class probably has it) and it sucks!!
I really hope you don't get it!

CyberKitten
October 28th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Oh dear!! S sorry to hear that Puppyluv and Jesse! There seems to be a ringworm epidemic of ringworm on this site! It is so easily transmitted and very contagious! What about the tiny vulnerable babies at the NICU Puppyluv? Of course, you prob have scrubs on then tho that is the 1st thing I thought of - :fingerscr :fingerscr

Puppyluv
October 28th, 2005, 08:57 PM
What about the tiny vulnerable babies at the NICU Puppyluv? Of course, you prob have scrubs on then tho that is the 1st thing I thought of - :fingerscr :fingerscr
That was actually the first thing I thought of too! I do wear scrubs, but I called the hospital first thing and talked to my supervisor, told her what I had, she said not to worry, they would keep an eye out, but didn't think anything had been passed to the babies, or even anyone at the hospital, and to just take the week off for good measure. I don't know what I would do if I infected one of the babies, they have enough problems as it is.

As per the high occurance of ring-worm, my vet told me that because (at least in Montreal) the city is dredging all of the lakes, ponds, canals etc, the molds that were once in the ground are getting lifted up, and so all it takes is one little mud-loving dog to bring it to everyone else.

jesse's mommy
October 31st, 2005, 01:33 PM
Puppluv -- How is the ringworm? As of now, none of us have it, but I'm going to keep a close watch on the three of us for another week or so. I know ringworm is extremely contagious, but do you know how long it takes to show after exposure and is it contagious right from the start or is it like chicken pox that it's only contagious to the time it starts showing? If you know anything so I don't overdue the searches for possible signs, it would be appreciated. I can get a little overbearing about these things at times.

melanie
October 31st, 2005, 04:01 PM
ha, its sucks doesnt it, i got it from the drought, but of course my dog or no one else has it, so everyone sorta looks at me strange. :D

ah a wonderful member here, who i assume might want to remain nameless, gave me this great tip, and it worked a total charm.

1:4 bleach to water. that is 1 part bleach and 4 water. use it 3-4 times a day, jsut dab it on, and away go the bloody ringworms.

gosh our members are bloody brilliant :D :D

Puppyluv
October 31st, 2005, 07:53 PM
Puppluv -- How is the ringworm?
Itchy. So very very itchy. I can't tell if it's getting better... I'm supposed to give it another day before going back in. Same for Layla. (But I think I'll have to take her back anyways, because her eye infection isn't improving on her current meds)
It takes about 5-10 days to show up after infection, and It's contagious the whole time. (Except apparantly after 48 hours of medication, it's no longer as contagious)
On a plus side however, my sheets and towels have never been so clean and smelled so good (they have to be washed daily)

Melanie-Ahhhh the bleach and water!!! Not that again! I had to use that for layla's paw and the smell of it drove me insane (i detest the smell of bleach :yuck: ) But if it works, it's worth a try, I'll just go buy one of those swimming nose plugs!