Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A sad local story of one woman's rescue work

Shamrock
October 28th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Earlier this month in my area, a fire tragically claimed the life of a dedicated cat rescuer, Bev Parent.
She'd long been active in the city, homing abandoned and feral cats. She died from injuries received trying to rescue her 70 cats. Sadly, 59 perished along with her.
She lived in an apartment, and I have since read where some have accused her of being a "hoarder' of cats. I find this very sad indeed. She devoted her life to these animals, and the fact that she wound up with so many is a testament to the scope of the problem of cat overpopulation. She was dedicated to doing what she could to help. She rescued, neutered, spayed, and found homes for countless cats.
If people would just accept responsibility for their animals, spay and neuter their cats, and stop dumping them to fend for themselves, dedicated caring people like Bev Parent wouldnt be so over- taxed with the numbers.

From all I have read, she kept her cats and her apartment in good order. It seems a sad shame that instead of commending her for dedicated and valiant efforts.. some view her as a "crazy cat lady".

I wondered what your thoughts were on this?

Roxy's_MA
October 28th, 2005, 04:08 PM
I have heard the term "haorder". If her apt was sanitary and all the cats were looked after properly, it is really no one's business. Sad story, she died trying to save the lives of the kitties. Truly is a labour of love. I don't care for the term "crazy cat lady". I guess I don't see saving the lives of those no one else cared about as crazy. JMO

Prin
October 28th, 2005, 04:22 PM
IMO, hoarders aren't really known for adopting out cats. They might start off that way but then they get carried away and their homes become "end of the line" rescue shelters... If this woman was adopting them out, I say she deserves credit for that. I can see Lucky ending up with 70 cats with all the cats she fosters because nobody else can... You know? They're doing their best to rehome these cats while keeping them healthy and that's what matters.

CyberKitten
October 28th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I did read her story somewhere recently. I do not see her as a hoarder given that the cats she had were medically cared for and spayed or neutered. Hoarders tend to think they are rescuing and then allow the situation to get out of control and most of the cats are neither s/ned nore recieve proper vet care and the surroundings are unsanitary. In that regard, she hardly fits the profile. It's sad ppl would be so cruel and mislabel her but many ppl do not even understand rescue!