Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Indestructible toys?

puppy4ever
October 28th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Does anyone know of any great toys for dogs that don't get chewed up in a few months? I've given up on stuffed toys and rubber squeaky ones as my puppy has already gone through so many of them. My pocketbook is getting empty! The only toys that seem to be intact are his rope and kongs (if you consider this a toy).

Any ideas on toys that will last more than few months?

jesse's mommy
October 28th, 2005, 02:54 PM
We found that Jesse has chewed every single toy we've gotten her including her rope except for a Hartz squeaky toy made out of latex. The three she has have extremely annoying squeaks to them, but she hasn't gotten through any of them yet. I have (not even exaggerating) approximately 25 stuffed toys that need "surgery" and have thrown away at least 30-40 others that have been mauled beyond repair or ripped to shreds because it's the cheap plastic. The latex toys seem to be the best we've found, but very loud.

Roxy's_MA
October 28th, 2005, 02:58 PM
I have owned all three Hartz laytex squeeky toy (and believe me they are extremely annoying). The only one Roxy hasn't been able to puncture is the spikey ice cream cone. She will rip apart about anything else.

jjgeonerd
October 28th, 2005, 02:59 PM
They don't exist!

Gabby destroys the toughest and largest Nylabone they make in 2 weeks. The bee-hive shaped Kongs (black ones - toughest) last maybe 2-3 months. Those are the only 2 types we buy her. Nothing else even stands a chance! :eek:

jesse's mommy
October 28th, 2005, 03:01 PM
The last Nylabone we got Jesse lasted two days! Both of her kongs have chunks taken out of them.

jessi76
October 28th, 2005, 03:02 PM
http://www.talktometreatball.com/

The Talk to me Treat Ball is great! It's too big for puppy to get it's mouth around, it's made of hard plastic, no edges to chew, you fill w/ treats, and can record your own message on it. When they bat it around, it plays the recorded message and dispenses treats.

My pup is a toy-wrecker. (toys are destroyed in minutes) This toy has taken a really good beating, and keeps on going... and keeps him busy for as long as I let him play with it. We got it at the end of August, and it's still in great shape (a bit scratched, but otherwise ok).

Roxy's_MA
October 28th, 2005, 03:05 PM
That looks really cool. I have never seen them. What is the appoximate cost of one?

jesse's mommy
October 28th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Ready for this one? Jesse figured out how to take the "recorder" part out of the talk to me ball because it's easier to get the treats out of that end. I'm telling you Jesse has extreme ADD -- Very smart, no attentions span, and takes the shortcut out of everything, kind of like her mom! :p

jessi76
October 28th, 2005, 03:19 PM
LOL! go jesse!!! I can BARELY get the recorder out of mine, I have to pop it out using a wooden spatula handle (through other end of ball), so I don't think my pup will ever be able to get it out.

They are a little pricey - roughly $15-$20 (US). I got lucky and got one on sale for $9 (US) at a little specialty store (doggy boutique).

It's really amusing when I record the cats growling and hissing on it....

puppy4ever
October 28th, 2005, 03:36 PM
That toy looks amazing! I'm going out to buy one now. Thanks for the tip Jessi!!!

Prin
October 28th, 2005, 03:56 PM
The laser ball looks really cool. :)

doggirl
October 28th, 2005, 03:56 PM
The blue kongs are much tougher than the black ones (and they show up on x-ray). :P

Prin
October 28th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Really? I've always heard the opposite. Regardless, my doggies like the blue ones much better than the black ones.

jjgeonerd
October 28th, 2005, 04:34 PM
The blue kongs are much tougher than the black ones (and they show up on x-ray). :P
Are those the ones that are blue swirled with white? Never seen solid blue...just red or black.

Even the Kong website saya black are the strongest. :confused:

I'll have to look for the talk to me ball!

Prin
October 28th, 2005, 04:52 PM
What the hey! Costco in the US sells this: Kong Time (http://www.kongtime.com/video/play_kongtime.html)
Gadgets gadgets gadgets... How many dogs are going to chew on the Kong Time instead of the kongs... :eek:

Puppyluv
October 28th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Nylabones? Tough? Ha! Don't make me laugh!

The two best, most indestructable toys I have ever gotten Layla are:
1) Four Paws Rough and Rugged Drumstick
http://www.woofnwhiskers.com/product~numRecordPosition~57~P~43~strPageHistory~c at~strKeywords~~SearchFor~~PT~6.asp

and
2) Planet dog Orbee Bolt, which appears soft, and feels soft, but if it does get destroyed, will be replaced for free.
http://activek9.com/pd-01071.html

jjgeonerd
October 28th, 2005, 05:05 PM
What the hey! Costco in the US sells this: Kong Time (http://www.kongtime.com/video/play_kongtime.html)
Gadgets gadgets gadgets... How many dogs are going to chew on the Kong Time instead of the kongs... :eek:
ha ha...too funny. My wife sent me that link and I said the same thing! I could just see Gabby smelling it and realizing it was full of stuffed Kongs. It'd be destroyed in about 5 minutes! :D

I need to look for that Rough and Rugged Drumstick. Looks good. :thumbs up I like Nylabones because they're flavored...I think that keeps Gabby interested in them. She'll only chew her Kong when there is food in it, but she goes nuts for the Nylabone all the time.

Prin
October 28th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Are Nylabones the ones that they chew on that get sharp as heck and then in the middle of the night you step on them and rip your foot apart?

Puppyluv
October 28th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Are Nylabones the ones that they chew on that get sharp as heck and then in the middle of the night you step on them and rip your foot apart?
Those would be them, they are also the ones that, when snuck into your bed by a certain doggy, results in little plastic shards all throughout your sheets. :evil:

jawert1
October 28th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Those would be them, they are also the ones that, when snuck into your bed by a certain doggy, results in little plastic shards all throughout your sheets. :evil:

holy cow, at least now i know this is a common occurence, i was starting to think peaches had it out for me lol :p

but seriously, simon's a chewer, so is peach, but simon worse...i go through 2 nylabones every 2 weeks and a new kong for each once a month. simon desqueaks anything with a squeaker so those last about 5 minutes.

jjgeonerd
October 28th, 2005, 07:22 PM
...or that get dropped on your hardwood floors and leave big dents! :p

Chiceh
October 28th, 2005, 10:21 PM
I hear you all about the chewing and destruction. I have 2 Labrador Retrievers and boy can they destroy toys. I have gone through many black tough kongs, red kongs, water kongs, nyla bones, real bones, ropes, balls, even baseballs but they seem to destroy everything. Forget any plush toys, they are shredded in minutes. I am searching as well for the best chew toy. Where can I find the tough stuff?
Chiceh :crazy: