Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Infected Teeth?

LOLA
September 8th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Last week my 8yr old cats face swelled up to the point where it nearly shut his eye. A few days later when I awoke I saw a big infectious wound on that side of his face. Im assuming it was from an infected tooth that abcessed thru his cheek and is draining since his breath was pretty bad. He isnt the kind of cat that lets you do too much to him, but Ive managed to dab the wound with hydrogen peroxide. Would neosporin ointment be better to put on it? It seems to be healing, but is still oozing a lot. He also washes it frequently and is eating alright, tho not as much as Im sure there has got to be some pain involved. Thanks for your help.

Lucky Rescue
September 8th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Abcesses on a cat's face - in addition to being incredibly PAINFUL, are dangerous.

The problem is that cat skin heals quickly on the surface, but the infection remains underneath. It's doubtful this wound will heal on it's own - it will continue to drain and the infection may affect his eye.

You MUST take this cat to the vet - the wound needs to be drained and flushed out, and the cat needs antibiotics.

Your cat is suffering and needs help now.