Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What are my options ?? Urgent !

Jazzmanian
October 28th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Wed. late evening, I spotted a dog wandering the street near my home. I thought at the time that I recognized the dog, and his owner lived near me, so I went ahead and caught up to and brought the dog to my house for the night.

Yesterday my next door neighbor was able to contact the person that we both thought owned the dog, and see if they were looking for their dog.

These folks (who we thought owned the dog) said they gave their dog away over a month ago, and the new owner had to have it put down since it bit them.

I'm not sure how much of this I buy, but it is now apperent that the people that I thought would be frantic to find their dog, are NOT.

Since my neighbor knows about this, she has contacted bylaw, and they have told my wife this morning that it is illegal for the dog to be at our house while we attempt to find it's owner, and we must hand it over to them, and they take it to a neigboring city pound. It's a 72 hour hold.

Then we can apperently adopt it if no one claims him in 72 hours. (which seems likely) but we need time to decide ourselves if we can handle a second dog of a large breed. And of course there is money involved. We'd then be faced with the $$$$ fees just to get the guy out of lockup again.

Can anyone tell me any other options compared to handing him over directly to the bylaw, and pound. (which I find difficult to deal with).

I live in small town Alberta, (Lacombe) so if laws are involved this is my jurisdiction.

My ideal would be to take a bit of time to fnd the owner privatly before taking any steps for adoption, and at that time the second option would be to possibly adopt him directly from my home to another through a rescue listing or something of that sort.

I really would hate to see him end up in a pound. It is NOT a no-kill.

(please ignore spelling and typos since I type this is a hurry)

Thanks
jazzmanian

Jazzmanian
October 28th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Here's a pic (if the upload works)

Jazzmanian
October 28th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Another pic... He's on the right :-)

rivers
October 28th, 2005, 01:59 PM
OMG, he's gorgeous. They can't put that dog down! He looks healthy and well looked after. Strange story though.
Sorry don't have any help, besides holding thumbs that this dog finds a loving home quickly.

Roxy's_MA
October 28th, 2005, 02:03 PM
He is Goergeous. I would not bring him to the pound. Maybe you could contact a rescue in the area, and they could help out. adoptananimal.ca
will give you a list of all the rescues in Alberta. Lacombe is near Red Deer right?

badger
October 28th, 2005, 02:03 PM
I guess the new 'owners' (if they exist) didn't want to pony up the money to have him put down (here in Montreal, it's 80 $ for a cat) and just threw him out and he wandered back to his old home. Either way, he's lucky you found him. I'm not sure I would've gotten the city involved. Are you only allowed to have one dog where you live? Seems excessive.

If the city comes for him, you can explain that you've decided to adopt him (or it was all a big mistake) and then work with a rescue group or privately to find him a new home. I wouldn't send him to a kill shelter if you can avoid it, they are all overcrowded and it's hard for animals to be there, not to mention the needle hanging over their heads.

Maybe someone here can help this poor fellow out.

PS I'd forget about the 'owners'. They could care less.

jawert1
October 28th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Try and keep him if at all possible (or at least till you can find a suitable family for him to go to), I know in the States, shelter's are so overworked that they don't have time to follow-up on all the calls that come in regarding found strays, so the potential for them not calling back may be good. Best wishes on this one, hopefully the best possible ending will come about :)

jesse's mommy
October 28th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Keep Him!
Keep Him!
Keep Him!

Luvmypit
October 28th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Your little dog looks like hes saying where did this thing come from?

I say keep him until you personallya dopt him out or send to a rescue.

Did you tell the animal control where you live?

Roxy's_MA
October 28th, 2005, 02:54 PM
If he is good with other animals cats and dogs. I would be willing to keep him until a home can be found. I would of course need to check with my BF, but I usually win when it comes to these things. I am located about 10 min north of Edmonton, about 2 hours from Lacombe. PM me if you need a place for him to stay.

SarahLynn123
October 28th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Just tell them (animal control) that you found the owners, then decide whether to keep him or adopt him out!

Hes gorgeous!

Good luck

Sarah

Jazzmanian
October 28th, 2005, 04:13 PM
"Just tell them (animal control) that you found the owners, then decide whether to keep him or adopt him out"

I would try something like this, but for two reasons.

1: small town, they would just have to look over my fence to see that is not the case.

2: what if he is microchipped, and his owners are looking for him (assuming that he is not at all the dog I thought he was, although I still think he is)

I just checked with my local rescue, and they're afraid to try and pretend this is an owner surrender because Bylaw already knows about this dog. They do not have the contract to accept dogs from bylaw.

and further

The vet will scan him, so I hope to at least do this before I give him over, but I do wish to abide within my laws as well (stupid and nonsensical though they be).

If he goes with Bylaw, he'll get a checkup etc. at the pound. (right ?) He does seem to be pulling at hair around his tail, but I don't know if this is behavioural or medical.

I'm having the bylaw officer that my neigbor talked to and knows call me back. He's apperently sympathetic to the case. ... But...

my wife just called me and said that this guy just called her DEMANDING that we call animal services and have him picked up. Slammig phone etc.

What happened to bleedin' common sense? Why must us citizens be babysat as if we are completely incapable of taking appropriate actions in a situation?

In my perfect little (fantasy) world. I'd be given a couple of days or a week to place ad's in local papers, advertise on radio, the net etc. and if no owner steps up, I'd have the option to find him a home, or give him one. Arrggghhhhhhh!

Jazzmanian
October 28th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Spread the word in case..... pls.

Based on my wifes most recent demands by bylaw officers, there is a good chance that this guy is going to end up in a pound.

He'll be held for 72 hours then he becomes adoptable.

Fee from this place is $107.00 plus spay/nueter.
estimated to be $100 to $250 depending on the dog and
if he is not already nuetered.

Maybe we can at least find someone who would like to adopt him from the pound. He'll have at least two weeks there, but they were unwilling to tell me if they ever place a dog with a rescue or a shelter situation.

rivers
October 28th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Try posting on Craigslist. It seems a busy site for people looking to adopt dogs. http://edmonton.craigslist.org/

Jazzmanian
October 28th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Yup - it's the law, I'm required to turn over a captured stray within 24hrs to animal services.

badger
October 28th, 2005, 05:47 PM
At least put a hold on him so they don't release him to anyone but you (if the owner doesn't appear) OR euthanize him if he just happens to bite the vet out of fear, even though he isn't aggressive in normal circumstances. This happens more often than you might think. Dog bites vet. Bad dog (read: unadoptable). Dog is 'disposed of'. Don't want to scare you or anything.
Too bad you have to shell out to resolve this, but other than hiding him and telling animal control that he ran off, there doesn't seem to be any other solution.

Jazzmanian
October 28th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Hey all.

Good news the owner just contacted me.

This is not the dog I thought (at first) it was. This has been confirmed. Also he is coming by when I get home tonight to pick him up.

It's a good thing for all, since his owner says the dog has epilepsy and needs treastment. He escaped after being upset by a trip to the vet in the first place.

Looks like a happy ending ! :) :crazy: :party:

Jazzmanian
October 28th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Thanks to all the repliers to this topic !

SarahLynn123
October 28th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the update!

I love happy endings!

kayla
October 28th, 2005, 07:01 PM
That's great news! Just out of curiousity how did the owners find you? Did you put posters up or something?

Yay for happy endings!

jawert1
October 29th, 2005, 12:05 PM
I'm so glad to see this story had a happy ending :)

Prin
October 30th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Yey another happy ending! I'm glad that this doggy will get his meds before you had to figure out what he needed the hard way. :)