Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bladder Infection

Byrd
October 27th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Every once in a while my dog gets a strange odour from her feminine region. This started when she was very young (before she was spayed) and happens mostly when she is excited about something. It is kind of a musky/fishy odour. I have been asked several times if she has a bladder or yeast infection. Would that cause this scent, or is it just female excitement... I have never had a female dog before, so don't know if this is fairly normal.

Prin
October 27th, 2005, 10:41 PM
It's not the anal glands? You're sure? I've heard of over-excited doggies expressing their anal glands by accident..

TobsterMom
October 27th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Musky/Fishy??.....anals.

Can't mistake the "anals" smell :yuck: . If it only happens once in a while, and doesn't last, and she has no other symptoms, she's probably expressing her glands.

Byrd
October 28th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Hhhmmm, I used to groom, so I've smelled that smell :yuck: I really don't think that's what it is. It really smells like (and pardon the possible vulgarity here) excited female.

jesse's mommy
October 28th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Byrd -- I hate to be gross, but maybe she does get excited like that. It's not unheard of. Jesse did it once -- thankfully only once -- (I won't go into details), but it was definitely that and I almost freaked out. I had never thought, but she did. There was no mistaken it. Have you called the vet and ask them about it?

Puppyluv
October 28th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Does she have a lot of hair around there? My parents' dog has a fair amount of hair around her genitals, so when she pees, the pee is "trapped" in the fur, and the skin gets irritated and then infected, producing a smell similar to the one you describe. They have to keep her hair cropped short there, and wash her regularily. Also, the vet gave them some ointment for it.
Might that be a possibility?

Byrd
October 29th, 2005, 07:38 AM
When the smell first started it was when she was real small and would hump things... so we took it as just that, getting excited. But, it continued after she was spayed, which kind of shocked me.

No, no hair around there, I buzz her close, I don't like the smell of a urinated on dog so have been keeping her butt, genitals, and inside of her legs shaved with a #10 blade since she was a very young puppy.

I think it's just the excitability factor... she does it when playing, or in flyball, things that get her going.