Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog is sick....

cnjord4
October 27th, 2005, 05:18 PM
I have a 2 year old male pekingese. Last Saturday he got a hold of a semi-dead flower. We do not think he ate any of it, he just kind of tore it apart. Sunday he ate once, Monday he wasn't eating and he started vomiting, Tuesday he started to eat a little bit and wasn't vomiting and he was active like he always is, Wednesday he was his normal self and eating a little bit, and then today he vomited again and wouldn't eat. I put off taking him to the vet because he started acting fine again. I just thought he was vomiting because he hadn't ate that much because it was the yellow foamy vomit, but he had ate a little bit just not as much as normal. I'm just curious if I should be really worried if it could be serious. I'm taking him to the vet in the morning. Any ideas on if the flower could be causing him to be sick?

Also, we had put a flea collar on him Saturday afternoon, could that cause him to be sick? Even though we took it off Sunday when he didn't want to eat.

Also about fleas, the pills Capstar and Program, are they safe to use?

jawert1
October 27th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Go with your first instinct and take your pup to the vet immediately. They can also answer your questions re: flea pills. Good luck and keep us posted on his progress :)

PetFriendly
October 27th, 2005, 05:37 PM
While you're at the vet ask about the different flea products. There are bunches of them to choose from and some cover more than just fleas, like worms, ticks, etc.

Let us know what the vet says about the flowers/cause of illness.

cnjord4
October 27th, 2005, 05:42 PM
See I know flowers can kill dogs, I just don't know what kind of flower it was that my dog got ahold of. I will post of tomorrow after I take him to the vet. I wish I didn't have to wait but we do not have any 24 hour vet hospitals around here.


Here is a list of the flowers that can cause dogs to become ill:
Poisonous Plant List
Aloe Vera
Amaryllis
Apple (seeds)
Apple Leaf Croton
Apricot (pit)
Asparagus Fern
Autumn Crocus
Azalea
Baby's Breath
Bird of Paradise
Branching Ivy
Buckeye
Buddhist Pine
Caladium
Calla Lily
Castor Bean
Ceriman
Charming Dieffenbachia
Cherry (seeds and wilting leaves)
Chinese Evergreen
Cineraria
Clematis
Cordatum
Corn Plant
Cornstalk Plant
Croton
Cuban Laurel
Cutleaf Philodendron
Cycads
Cyclamen
Daffodil
Devil's Ivy
Dieffenbachia
Dracaena Palm
Dragon Tree
Dumb Cane
Easter Lily (especially cats!)
Elaine
Elephant Ears
Emerald Feather
English Ivy
Eucalyptus
Fiddle-leaf Fig
Florida Beauty
Foxglove
Fruit Salad Plant
Geranium
German Ivy
Giant Dumb Cane
Glacier Ivy
Gold Dust Dracaena
Golden Pothos
Hahn's Self-Branching Ivy
Heartland Philodendron
Hurricane Plant
Indian Rubber Plant
Janet Craig Dracaena
Japanese Show Lily (especially cats!)
Jerusalem Cherry
Kalanchoe
Lacy Tree Philodendron
Lily of the Valley
Madagascar Dragon Tree
Marble Queen
Marijuana
Mexican Breadfruit
Miniature Croton
Mistletoe
Morning Glory
Mother-in-Law's Tongue
Narcissus
Needlepoint Ivy
Nephytis
Nightshade
Oleander
Onion
Oriental Lily (especially cats!)
Peace Lily
Peach (wilting leaves and pits)
Pencil Cactus
Plumosa Fern
Poinsettia (low toxicity)
Poison Ivy
Poison Oak
Pothos
Precatory Bean
Primrose
Red Emerald
Red Princess
Red-Margined Dracaena
Rhododendron
Ribbon Plant
Saddle Leaf Philodendron
Sago Palm
Satin Pothos
Schefflera
Silver Pothos
Spotted Dumb Cane
String of Pearls
Striped Dracaena
Sweetheart Ivy
Swiss Cheese Plant
Taro Vine
Tiger Lily (especially cats!)
Tomato Plant (green fruit, stem and leaves)
Tree Philodendron
Tropic Snow Dieffenbachia
Weeping Fig
Yew
Other: Many items common to a household can be harmful to pets. Be sure you have picked up and securely stowed all of these types of products: automotive, such as antifreeze and oil; batteries; mothballs; and lawn care products, such as fertilizer and insecticide. Even some things designed for dogs, such as flea treatments, can be harmful when ingested.

doggy lover
October 27th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Take you dog to a vet asap, like now. Many plants are very deadly from hour to days your dog could die from this.

cnjord4
October 27th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Take you dog to a vet asap, like now. Many plants are very deadly from hour to days your dog could die from this.

I have to wait til in the morning to take him. I hope he isn't sick from the flower and if so that we get him there before something happens. :( :( :( :sad: :sad: :sad: