Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Burs!

Shamrock
October 27th, 2005, 02:06 PM
How on earth does one get these out of a dog's fur? :confused:

My small poodle became covered in them yesterday while in the park. With his long woolly fur, they just stuck like glue to his legs, ears and all across his stomach. (he's so close to the ground)

I had a devil of a time with these things - they were deeply imbedded in the fur.
Took out a few by gently pulling them out - but others wouldnt budge. Pulling too hard caused him pain :sick: -had to abandon that..

Brushing them out was out of the question. I worked some hand cream into the fur to try to loosen them - did nothing.

I wound up with scissors and cut them out, but this wasnt easy either, as I was afraid of cutting the skin on his stomach -. he wasnt exactly cooperating for this.

There are still little remnants left to tend to, I will bathe him today, and get out the last little bits.

I've never experienced these awful things before, but I would guess its not uncommon. I wondered if there is some "trick" to getting them out, or are scissors the only option?

Lissa
October 27th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Ick, I bet trying to get them out of poodle fur is a hassle!

With our old dog (husky/german shepherd mix) we mostly were able to pull them out. For really embedded one's we did use scissors.

But then I found that a cat de-matter comb or even one designed to remove fleas from a cat worked wonders. Because the comb's teeth were so close together, it really helped to loosen and eventually comb out the burs.

But I think that poodle hair is probably a more difficult to work with :rolleyes: !!

CyberKitten
October 27th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Shamrock, rhe best solution is non stick cooking spray like pam. Spray a little on the area. The lubricating effect will make it easier to slide the burr out of the fur. Another "trick" is to use a seam ripper (as in for sewing) and pick the hairs around the burr until it can be pulled out.

To prevent burrs from becoming encased again, a spritz with mink-oil conditioner will keep his coat nice and slippery, and any burrs will brush out easily. You can buy mink-oil conditioner from most groomers.

mafiaprincess
October 27th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Wow, I just asked this elsewhere like 30 seconds ago.. I'm an idiot and let Cider play in a ravine.. We both ended up a mess, I could get them off me though.. But now she's wet and burry.. and doesn't want me to get them out..

xFire Angelx
October 27th, 2005, 03:37 PM
my cat weatherby gets them all over his stomache so bad that theres hundreds of them stuck together matted up in his fur takes hours to cut them all out i try to catch him while hes asleep to do that.. hes a heavy sleeper so it works out nicely lol
its a nightmare getting those things out sheesh

doggy lover
October 27th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Tucker get them at our cottage and with his long tail and leg hair its horrible. I use detangler and my fingers or a comb to word them out, I have heard of using the Pam spray before too.

mafiaprincess
October 27th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I got Cider burr free..

Wet dog, lots of conditioner and short fingernails.. Like pam it slides them out, but this way it was less mess..

Mad dog, but she smells great now, lol.

Shaykeija
October 28th, 2005, 01:34 AM
I use an under coat rake on my cat Piper. He has over 30 of those beasties tangled in his hair and tail.. Took me over 2 hours to get them all out and he didn't even bite me once. :p

BMDLuver
October 28th, 2005, 06:54 AM
If any of you have feed stores or equine product stores near you, look for Cowboy Magic or Mane & Tail spray.. you just spray it on, let it dry, then comb the burrs right out. It's simple, no tugging and no coat damage. You also have a very shiny coat afterwards that is more resilient to burrs the next time.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 28th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Joey gets them bad too. We eventually shaved him so photo section so now it isnt so much of a problem, but yes they are little buggers to get out. I came across a plant that is worse though, oblong shaped seedy things they just get embedded in the fur branch at all. Joeys ears were a mess with them.

did you know the man that discovered Burrs invented velcro. :D

http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa091297.htm

so I guess those annoying little buggers did serve a purpose at one point in time.

Shamrock
October 28th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. Percy is burr-free now, and I will really try to avoid repeats of this mess.
My daughter has horses, I've heard her mention the Mane and Tail products. I'lll ask her to pick me up some of that spray.
Percy's coat is dry... and I think that was part of the problem.
Burrs are nature's velcro for sure! ;)