Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need advice about biting please

Jenmlf
October 27th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Hey there,

So I have a shihtzu puppy (7 weeks) and most of the time he is sleeping but about 3 times a day he likes to play like a crazy person and bite. I try to lure him away from it by showing him his toys but he always goes back to biting me or whoever he is playing with. How can I train him to stop this? Its really frustrating especially since I have tryed to do what has been suggested to me. Any help I can get from anyone would be VERY helpful. Thanks :o

jessi76
October 27th, 2005, 03:11 PM
how old was he when you got him? 7 wks is VERY young, too young (IMO) to be away from the rest of the litter. This biting/playing is what they are normally doing to their littermates at this age. He needs to develop bite inhibition.

Jenmlf
October 27th, 2005, 03:36 PM
We got him at 6 weeks... We did have him to the vet when we got him to make sure it was ok and the vet said absolutely as long as he is eating and drinking on his own - which he is. He is a totally great puppy and plays a lot and with the puppies I have had experience with they bit until they are taught otherwise. I'm just looking for advice on how to teach him otherwise. Any advice at all?

jessi76
October 27th, 2005, 03:45 PM
We got him at 6 weeks... We did have him to the vet when we got him to make sure it was ok and the vet said absolutely as long as he is eating and drinking on his own - which he is. He is a totally great puppy and plays a lot and with the puppies I have had experience with they bit until they are taught otherwise. I'm just looking for advice on how to teach him otherwise. Any advice at all?

sorry, I just don't agree with your vet. Social skills are important also, which puppies learn from interacting with littermates and their mother... anyways, he's with you now, so you'll have to do it. Try to YELP when he bites (as another puppy would), ignore him when he bites, re-direct him to appropriate toys and reward him frequently for chewing on toys and not you. Research bite inhibition, you'll find alot of good information. When your pup is a bit older, you might want to consider some puppy classes.

good luck! those puppy teeth can hurt!

LavenderRott
October 27th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Healthwise, six weeks old may be old enough to leave the litter, but behaviour wise is a different story. Some States in the U.S. have laws regarding the age that brokers may sell puppies (to pet stores) and those laws say 8 weeks. Most responsible breeders let puppies go between 8 and 12 weeks.

Anywho - you can't turn back the clock.

Next time your pup starts biting you, stand up and turn around, ignoring the dog completely. Redirecting to something they can bite also works well. You must remember that these things don't work the first time you try them and take plenty of time, so be patient, persistant, and consistant.

Jenmlf
October 27th, 2005, 04:43 PM
thank you so much for your information! I love looking on this board to get all kinds of advice.

Jingles
October 27th, 2005, 05:45 PM
HI, my puppy is doing the same thing. I got him at 8wks of age. However mine is a large puppy weighing in at about 25 lbs. He's got BIG teeth and it really hurts when he bites. I've been trying some different things too. I find when I just turn around and ignore him that he then decides chewing on my clothes is the better option. And if I walk away he chases after me nipping at my clothes the whole way. I've been trying the holding his muzzle closed and telling him no. Then giving him one of his toys instead. So far it hasn't worked too well but I've only been doing it for about 4 days. Is this a good way to do it do you think?

Puppyluv
October 27th, 2005, 06:32 PM
most of the time he is sleeping but about 3 times a day he likes to play like a crazy person and bite

Is he getting any other exercise or play time? If all he does is sleep all day, he's probably pretty bored and restless (I'm not saying this is an excuse for him to bite - IMO there are no excuses to bite, ok well maybe a couple, but they involve crimes, and that's waaay off topic).
Stimulating his mind (training is a great way- that way you get two for one- better behaviour and a tired puppy) should help.

StaceyB
October 27th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Never physically try to stop the mouthing, holding the mouth will likely cause you to be bit. Yell ouch like it hurts, then walk out of the room and close the door behind you. Wait 30 sec and return. If he has stopped when you return give him something that he can chew. If you leave yourself in the same room he will try to do it again. You want your puppy to think that when he mouths you, you go away and you don't play. The mouthing that your puppy is doing is to try and get you to play. You want them to get the opposite result for mouthing. Remember that when puppy is being good, play with them and make sure they are getting enough exercise.

mona_b
October 27th, 2005, 10:55 PM
I also agree that 6 weeks is way to young.My breeder never let her dogs go under 12 weeks.

Just a question.How are you playing with him?Are you rough playing using your hands?

I find playing with pups is not different then kittens.We all know if you don't want your kitten to go after your hands,you don't use them,you play with them with toys...Geez I hope that made sense..LOL..

If you are playing with him,then use his toys.Get a ball that you can throw/roll around,and praise him for doing it.If he starts to "mouth" you,then give a firm "NO".When he stops,give him a toy right away.Then praise him...This might take a bit of time for him to pick up on.Remember,this also goes for things he shouldn't be biting/mouthing/chewing.

Also remember,he is teething.I would suggest you pick up a Kong and fill it with treats.You can also throw it in the freezer.This will help ease the pain from the teething.