Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

still doesn't have adult fur

MollysMommy
October 27th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Molly, now 13 months STILL doesn't have her adult fur. In all the books I've read, from what I can remember dogs usually get it before a year old. She has little adult fur patches, but she's had those patches for at least 3 months now. And they really haven't grown. And I wrong about the age when dogs get their adult fur? Or is Molly just an unusual case?

raingirl
October 27th, 2005, 11:02 AM
umm...i didn't know there was a difference between adult and puppy fur. I thought it was all the same...

MollysMommy
October 27th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Well, I know full-grown poodles have coarse fur. Right now Molly is as soft as velvet.

Beetlecat
October 27th, 2005, 12:47 PM
My pup shed out his baby fur when he was around a year old. But this was also in the middle of the summer when everyone was shedding.

Perhaps climate makes a difference. Seems a waste of resources to shed out a perfectly good baby coat to just have to grow a whole new winter coat :D

Prin
October 27th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Savour the puppy fur! :D Maybe she's just unusually soft.

Daizy
October 28th, 2005, 10:12 AM
My toy poodle who is now 14 months old has wonderfully soft fur. I never knew that it should be any different. The fur is curly now, as poodles coats should be but soooo soft.

MollysMommy
October 28th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Does she have patches of coarser hair? Did she EVER have patches of hair different than the rest of her body? The largest patch of coarse hair is on the top of Molly's rear end. Maybe toy poodles have softer hair? All the standard poodles I've felt had coarse hair. I really hope she has her puppy fur forever.

Daizy
October 31st, 2005, 10:57 AM
No, the only differency in her hair has been when she was very young and the curles hadn't formed. But she's soft all over with no patches of different types of hair. I do give her Udo oil - I wonder if that's got anything to do with it, only a little though, what is left on my spoon she licks off. And I remember by the boardwalk once there was a woman with her dog with the most beautiful soft & shiny coat and she gave her dog omega 3 oil tablets. The Udo oil (this stuff is wonderful) is found in a health store but you can find omega 3 oils or something similar in pets stores.

Daizy
October 31st, 2005, 11:26 AM
Just a thought too ... try putting conditioner on her after you have shampoo'd her, I'm sure that will make a difference and make the coarse patches nice and soft.