Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

fostering questions

scuba0095
October 27th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Hey everyone

I was just wondering do you all think fostering cats is a good idea to find the perfect cat for yourself? Fostering kittens and cats that is? Also Does fostering actually help a lot? What are the requirements for it?? Do you put all foster cats in a spare room together away from your other household pets? Is there a need for volenteer fosters out there or do the shelters handle most of it easily? Just curious questions. Just something ive always been interested in but never really asked about.

MIA
November 1st, 2005, 09:54 PM
I think it's a great idea and often suggest it to people for dogs and cats... especially if you have other animals in the house. I personally think there is a need, I need more foster homes! LOL It's great if a shelter cat can get out into a home environment and you get to see if it's a perfect match, which means if it is there is little chance the animal will ever be returned.

kayla
November 1st, 2005, 10:05 PM
Not sure where you are located but there is a sign at the Montreal SPCA right now saying they are desperate for fosters for pregnant cats. I did this last year and it was a very rewarding experience. They need fosters because the kittens would likely catch rhino and die at the shelter. This way you can keep the mother if you like her, and maybe even a kitten too! Warning: it can be hard to find the mother a home at the end of it all and you WILL get attached to her (and her kittens)!

Lucky Rescue
November 1st, 2005, 10:11 PM
Where are you? We're always trying to find responsible fosters for cats/kittens, and occasionally a dog. In fact we're in desperate need at the moment.

We ask that you keep the foster(s) separate from any pets you may have, and that you bring them to any vet appointments and all adoption events.
The vet visits are paid for, as is everything else, although it's greatly appreciated if you can help with buying food or litter.

You must agree to keep the animal until it finds a new home. Of course, if you want to adopt it yourself, you have first pick!:)

amber416
November 1st, 2005, 11:20 PM
I was just wondering do you all think fostering cats is a good idea to find the perfect cat for yourself?

I have found fostering to be the way to find many perfect cats for myself...too many, in fact :) ...it's hard to let the ones you aren't able to keep go!

SOS MIOW
November 5th, 2005, 01:58 AM
Most certainly fostering is an important part of animal rescue. A foster home is the first place an abandonned or homeless animal usually feels love for the first time in a while and it gives the animal a chance to relax after having gone through a very stressful time.

Foster moms/dads are usually the best people to report on the temperment of the animal and many of them end up finding good permanent homes through their own network of family/friends/coworkers (although the rescue will want to verify if the adoptive family is suitable and responsible for pet ownership).

Foster homes can choose whether to foster one or several animals (i.e., litter of kittens), a senior or special needs animal. The choice is yours. Of course, the foster home has first dibs on adopting the animal in their care (better than rehoming a second time).

Foster homes are what enables rescue groups to help more animals, as our own homes are usually full and we have to turn down many calls for help. Just being able to take in one foster cat/dog enables the rescue to save one more life.

Yes, there are responsibilities and commitment involved in fostering a rescued animal. But the rewards are great - especially when you see the magic happen between an adoptor and the animal.

We all shed a tear when it's time to let our fosters go to their forever homes, but we anxiously await the next poor soul who needs our help.

SOS MIOW is always looking for good foster homes. If you would be interested in helping us, check out our website at www.sosmiow.com and go to the Foster Home page for more information.

:grouphug: