Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Liberals treatment of aboriginals is criminal

twodogsandacat
October 27th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Michael Bryant is the AG who brought us BSL but he is also the minister for aboriginal affairs - another post he seems to have screwed up. While I normally enjoy any embarrassment for McGuinty this ticks me off royally. This level of incompetence is almost criminal (or should be criminal).

I am in Ottawa this week and the town was full of aboriginal veterans - so many that I couldn't get a room in the hotel I usually stay in. How sad that we honour them at a dinner just one day out of the year and treat them like this the other 364 days. Shame. Somebody needs to go to jail.

Check out this story....
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051027.wxmacgreg27/BNStory/National/

McGuinty blames the Feds (he blames the Americans for Toronto's gun issue so he obvioulsy won't accept blame for anything) but here's the kicker:

"For two years, the village has been under a boil-water order and the situation recently worsened to the point where the school had to be closed. Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty agreed the situation was "nothing less than deplorable," but said it was up to the federal government to act, because Ottawa is responsible for native matters.

One day later, fortunately, Ontario decided there had been a "jurisdictional misunderstanding." In fact, an agreement has long been in place that requires the province to act in an emergency and the federal government to pay. McGuinty remains furious at Ottawa for failure to move much earlier, but at least it is to be hoped this "jurisdictional misunderstanding" has been cleared up in time to save lives".

"jurisdictional misunderstanding" - I don't have a freakin clue and shouldn;t have the job.

twodogsandacat
October 27th, 2005, 09:11 AM
You seem to know more about this than I do however it sounds like both sides dropped the ball here and that the fact remains:

"an agreement has long been in place that requires the province to act in an emergency and the federal government to pay"

According to the agreement the province should of acted or rather was required to - then they can bill Ottawa. They should then sue if Ottawa balks at paying but payment shouldn't be required before action is taken.

Who gets to decide if it is an emergency situation?

I still have many questions. Why has it taken two years for this to become an emergency? What about the other communities will they also be looked at?

They both need a boot in the backside. This is not a third world country and no body should be living like this. How did they hide this from the press for two years?

You last comment is "At the end of the day it is the Feds fault and it's a disaster". Agreed but this is not the end of the day there are more communities out there with similar issues.

badger
October 27th, 2005, 01:00 PM
I don't mean to 'blame the victim' here, the whole aboriginal file has been mishandled for decades, BUT what is going on with the chiefs, where is all that resource money going, all those federal grants? Some - admittedly not all - of those reserves have plenty of money coming in and it's going into too few pockets. They want to be autonomous, I'm all for that, plus any help we can give them to maintain their communities, but there seems to be alot of mismanagement, and who pays? The people who live in those communities, who see the council members running around in new trucks while they struggle to feed their kids. The chiefs want Indian Affairs gone, but when the **** hits the fan, they come crying. Everyone is at fault here, and we all need to come clean.

CyberKitten
October 27th, 2005, 03:21 PM
One of my best friends is an aboriginal leader Badger and she would agree with you. On her reserve, the Chief and his wife play VLT machines and drive large vehicles. Mind you, there is considerable economic development there and they have quite a few services. Nothing like what I see in northen Canada and Labrador - which does border on the criminal!

doggy lover
October 27th, 2005, 03:50 PM
I think its horrible how long it took to help these people out, why would they keep ignoring it. Didn't anything get learnt with the problems in Walkerton a few years ago, I guess not. I wonder what king of filtration they have on their water supply if any? I hope they will all survive this and I hope they bust the governments a-- over this.

pitbulliest
October 27th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I was watching the news with my mom and we were both in awe that they are treating the aboriginal people like that...it was just disgusting..but then again, we should be used to the idea by now....considering the liberals treat everyone and everything like dirt.... :P BOOOOOOO BOOOOO!!!

kigaro
October 28th, 2005, 06:09 AM
federal & provincial gov't, regardless of which party is power, have always had poor / strained relations with aboriginals. and as badger points out, the reserves themselves are exactly the best money managers either. they're all to blame.

pitbulliest
October 29th, 2005, 09:40 AM
yeah but does the fact that the water has crap in it have to do with money management? Its a tremendous safety hazard... and the aboriginals are getting the **** end of the stick..

twodogsandacat
October 29th, 2005, 10:20 AM
yeah but does the fact that the water has crap in it have to do with money management? Its a tremendous safety hazard... and the aboriginals are getting the **** end of the stick..

This story broke Thursday. On Wednesday I spoke with a young aboriginal women in a hotel lobby in Ottawa. I had asked her what was going on. They had just had a dinner honouring aboriginal veterans. I told her it was about time and I felt proud for them. Less than twelve hours later I am reading about how many of them live their daily lives and I felt shame for us.

Those veterans had no issue putting their lives on the line for our freedoms and dignity.

When the chief arrived in Toronto with pictures of the situation the so called sh** was about to hit the fan. The jig was up. McGuinty acted. The question is: Why did McGuinty act?

Was it because the media was now involved? If so SHAME - resign yourself or fire a minister. Bryant will do as he WAS until just recently the minister for aboriginal affairs it happened on his watch while he was chasing the camera, pit bulls and a single high profile sexual predator while ignoring the hundreds that had no media value.

Of course let's play Bryant's (Devil's) advocate here and say that McGuinty acted out of genuine concern when he first found out (as unlikely this was his first news of the situation). Still let's go with the unlikely conclusion that he wasn't aware of the situation.

Smitherman and Kwinter had both visited the reserve in their roles as Minister of Health and Minster of Community Safety. Both were made aware of the situation. Both have admitted they were made aware. Smitherman thought his responsibility ended with a phone call. Still nothing was done. Then there is no doubt that they both did a great job of keeping McGuinty and the rest of Ontario in the dark.....fire one of those two. Fire both of them. To witness a crime and do nothing is criminal. To witness broken down humanity and do nothing is inhumane.

Either way this is McGuinty's and Martin's mess. In no way should the aboriginals be blamed. They live in this broken system or they assimilate and become white - this should not be the only option to live a healthy and proud life.

The system needs to be fixed by Ottawa and every Premier needs to assure that reservations in their respective provinces are healthy. The blame game is nothing but a circle and somebody needs to break that circle.