Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

terrible two's? the teenage years?

angie79
October 27th, 2005, 07:52 AM
i was just wondering is 9-10monthes old the terrible 2's my pup used to be fine in the house alone while we were at work (no i never crated him) the last week he has left a path of distruction when we leave the house. can anyone tell me if this is something that will pass? a stage? or anxiety? what to do if it is anxiety?

I know people are going to say crate him, i dont beleive in crates unless i have no choice.

jessi76
October 27th, 2005, 09:41 AM
there are other options besides a crate. Have you considered doggy daycare? hiring a dog walker? confining him to one room instead of the whole house? do you leave him things to keep him occupied? like a stuffed kong, or one of those toys that dispenses treats when they play with it?

it may just be boredom. how long is he left alone during the day? type of dog?

yoda900_ca
October 27th, 2005, 09:57 AM
somewhere around 9-11months puppies act like everything you taught them they forgot. :evil: They test u at this phase to see if the rules stil apply. When he was a younger pup what did you do? Revert back to that. The dog knows what he is or isn't supposed to do but he's hoping the rules can change. Don't be suprised if he tests u in other areas as well.ie not coming when called or not sitting when told. Stay on him it's a phase and it will pass as long as you reinforce the rules. Not sure what age it is but i always call 9-11/2 yrs the teenage, rebel ,if u make through this stage with your sanity you'll have a great dog phase(lol). Good luck w/your little dickens

MollysMommy
October 27th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Molly did this too! She was pretty much well-behaved until about 10 months. Then she chewed everything, including computer power cords, shoes, computer mouses, headphones (for some reason she was really drawn to wires), and even a part of the carpet. Here's the good news: SHE GREW OUT OF IT. She's no longer tempted by wires or wayward shoes, and she's even lost her taste for carpet, thank goodness. :)

jesse's mommy
October 27th, 2005, 10:35 AM
I sprayed that bitter apple stuff on things that Jesse wanted to chew. She was also drawn to wires (three electric blankets, two lamps and a treadmill wire), not to mention some of the molding in the hallway. The bitter apple stuff worked wonders and for my own amusement, it was kind of funny watching the expression on her face with it! :evil:

Beaglemom
October 27th, 2005, 10:43 AM
It will pass, if you do something about it now. If you do nothing, it will become a habit and will be much harder to break.

May I ask why you don't like/believe in a crate? It can be a wonderful tool to help stop this kind of behaviour (if used properly).

If you really don't want to use one, you do have some other options. Like was previously posted, having a dog walker or taking him to a doggie daycare are good options. A tired dog is a good dog. It could be that he just has sooo much energy and no way to release it except in a destructive way. Pups of this age have a tremendous amount of energy that they need to release, and they will find a way to do it. He could be getting bored too. This would also cause destructiveness.

Another option would be to restrict his access in your home. You could put him in a room that he will not be able to do much damage. Leave him with some of his favourite toys. Don't leave all his toys as this will make him bored quicker of what he has. Every few days or so change his toys. Give toys that dispense snacks but that make him work for them. This will keep him occupied. Make him earn his freedom in the home when you are away. Once he can be trusted, then you can let him have full access again.

Before you leave him for the day, take him out and give him a good exercise session. If he comes home tired he will most likely just want to sleep for a good part of the day while you are away. He will be too tired to do anything destructive.

Rottielover
October 27th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Harley is 12 1/2 months old, and he is going through adolencence. Training what training. Have to go back to square one with him. Get him to focus.
But I have recently startes crating Harley again, because his house manners were horrible after 4 months out. So back to square 1. He does not mind, he loves his crate. Right now it is the safest place for a 100lb puppy.... LOL

angie79
October 27th, 2005, 05:12 PM
today he was great no mess... it was very dicourageing when we realizeed anything on the coffee table was his!!!

new book....and the new massage chair in one day...

I love him he's my baby!!!!!!

someone asked why i dont believe in crates... probally because i grew up with dogs and they never went in a crate and had full roam of the house. #2 I get costerphobic and i guess I'm crazy he's my baby I wouldn't be comfortable in a cage...

Like i said he was perfect (after house breaking at 9 weeks) in the house alone he would sleep in bed or on the couch and be fine..

Thank you for all that said it would pass i hope your right...

jawert1
October 27th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I did crate training with Simon when he came home from the shelter (partly due to his going through heartworm treatment at the time), but we moved away from that and just kept him and Peaches barricaded in the kitchen as it was a smaller space and he stopped destroying the carpet. Perhaps the same would work for your lil guy, not crate per se, just smaller room to roam?

MollysMommy
October 27th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Did the same thing for Molly. We confined her to the kitchen. It worked great unless we left accidentally left a shoe lying around...

mafiaprincess
October 27th, 2005, 06:07 PM
It's only going to pass if you do something about it.

If you can't watch the dog destroying something so you can correct it, it's pointless. After the fact it is meaningless.

No correction, no badness. So the dog doesn't learn that tearing up stuff is bad.