Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Diabetic Dog

Sylvester
October 27th, 2005, 01:42 AM
I came on here for one final opinion before I put my beloved dog down. Rex a 2 year old Jack Russell terrier who was very healthy and never over weight was diagnosed with Diabetes about 4 weeks ago. We started him on a insulin (pork) injection twice a day (4 units at 8am and another 4 at 8pm). He responded to it well and gained his weight back. We also put him on a high fiber diet twice a day. A week ago he started losing weight again and we took him to the veterinarian for some blood tests. I am away in university so my parents have been dealing with the veterinarian through out this time. The vet. told them that the dog’s body is resisting the insulin and the dog is losing weight rapidly. He said there is nothing else that can be done. Now I would like to know if this is true? I have done some of my own research and looked at different situations and treatments. One in particular that I found was the use of different insulin such as beef, or a mixture of both beef and pork and such. Could this help my dog?

Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Sylvester
Guelph, Ontario

Sylvester
October 27th, 2005, 01:45 AM
This is him 2 days ago...

BMDLuver
October 27th, 2005, 07:47 AM
As you are in Guelph, Ontario... I would ask for a copy of his file and get a consult with Guelph University Small Animal Clinic. If anywhere would know of new courses of treatment and probability of good results, it would be them. That way you have explored another option.

I'm sorry your guy is struggling so hard with this.

PetFriendly
October 27th, 2005, 12:55 PM
I don't think you should give up yet. I think you should find a new vet and try some new types of insulin. I'm a type one diabetic and have been insulin dependant for over 15 years. Here are some of my thoughts on your situation. Keep in mind that this applies to diabetes in humans, but I'm going to guess its similar with dogs.

Different insulin: yes, do try other types if available. the same insulin will work differently for diffrent people, for some Type A might work best, while for others type B might work better. Ask the vet about trying synthetic human insulin... there are more types to choose from.

Insulin resistance: the longer your blood sugars are higher than normal, the more resistant you become to the insulin, thus the more you need. It is not however an insurmountable problem as once blood levels are back under control, resistance levels drop.

Fight or Flight: If your blood sugar is dangerously low for a long period of time, your liver kicks out adrenaline which in turn makes your blood sugar levels rise.

High Fiber: Fiber is hard for a body to digest. My insulin is based on the number of carbs I eat, when I calculate how many grams of carbs are in a portion, I have to substract the number of grams of fiber. SO what might be happening is the insulin is starting to work (looking for sugar in the blood) before the body gets around to converting the fiber into sugar through the digestive process.

Good luck and let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Roxy's_MA
October 27th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I agree, don't give up yet. I would see if your vet will try some different insulins. If not I would maybe get a second opinion from another vet.

I hope everything works out. :fingerscr He is beautiful doggy, reminds me of my best friend.

Prin
October 27th, 2005, 01:31 PM
That second pic made my jaw drop. Definitely go to Guelph. There has to be another way. What happens if humans can't use insulin? There has to be a way around it..

PetFriendly
October 27th, 2005, 02:39 PM
What happens if humans can't use insulin? There has to be a way around it..

If what you're taking isn't working well, you switch to a different kind. Insulin works different even across the different manufacturers. There are also meds you can take to help your system use the insulin better (they have some pretty bad side effects though so we try to stay away from them).

BeagleMum
October 27th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Sylvester: Your baby is so adorable. I wish you the best of luck in helping him get through this difficult time. I hope you can find a solution.

Sylvester
October 27th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Im sorry to inform everyone…I came home to Mississauga early this morning to be with the dog. And he was in bad shape…sleeping the whole time, didn’t want to get up or anything. He had a few short burst of energy and zest when he saw me coming home and then when I took him outside and are neighbors cat was outside. I gave him a big bowl of food and all the water he wanted. I went back to bed and slept with him for sometime. And gave him a bath…he was falling asleep while in it. I took him to the vet. and she advised that putting him down is the best thing to do…so at 11:40am today he past away. 12 hours away from being 2 years 4 months old. The whole morning he stuck with me and had this calm feeling in him like it was time…I held him to the last moment. This has to definitely be the hardest thing I had to do. I feel terrible but I know he is not suffering anymore and is in a better place. Thank you guys for all the help and support.

Sylvester

Roxy's_MA
October 27th, 2005, 03:34 PM
:sorry: :sad: I am so sorry about Rex. RIP little guy.

jesse's mommy
October 27th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I am truly sorry to hear about Rex. It's the hardest thing for anyone to have to do, but he is in a better place. My prayers go out to you and your family.