Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Here is Simon...

dmc123
October 26th, 2005, 07:20 PM
This is Simon. He is the newest guy to come live with me and my roomie. I am asking for advice from pet lovers about introducing a new dog to other resident dogs. If you know of another post here, please let me know. I tried to search but got a lot of "meet my new dog", etc.

Simon is being kept mostly outside in the dog lot, we bring him inside at night. He is somewhere between 1 1/2 -2 yrs old and is very hyper. Who knows who had him and in what condition he was kept before he appeared on my road a week ago.

When he comes in we either gate the doorways, or close the doors to separate him from the other dogs. We do this several times a day and he sleeps in the room with one of us at night.

Simon has met the other two dogs, Rudy (almost 10) and Delaney (6 1/2). All meetings so far happen when they are all leashed and inside the house. Delaney, the female, seems to hate him, but she seems to hate the cats and they are over 4 now. Rudy is a little more interested, he only growls a little, but I am afraid to let them mingle without the leashes.

Advice is welcomed on how to make this transition easier, and make me less worried.

I had no intention to get / foster / or adopt another dog at this point, but someone dropped him off in front of our house, and he quickly attached himself to our hearts. He is so sweet and appreciative of any love.

Ideas, links, or helpful hints very welcomed.

Thanks,
Diane

maddoxies
October 26th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Actually it is best to introduce them on neutral ground, so that the new dog is not 'invading' the terrority of the resident dogs. Since this fellow has already been in the house, I would suggest continuing as you are, going slowly, keeping them separated by a gate. Perhaps rubbing the new fellow with a towel to get his scent on it and then leaving the towel in the house so that the resident dogs get used to having his scent around may help. Poor fellow must be so confused being "dumped" like that.

jesse's mommy
October 26th, 2005, 09:17 PM
She's beautiful. I think introducing her on neutral ground is a good idea and also leaving a scented towel is important as well. I think if you keep this up you will be fine. Good Luck!!

dmc123
October 26th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks, I chose in the house because Rudy is much more territorial in the dog lot. He listens better in the house.

I should have tried walking them all together outside the house and outside of the lot. Ugh!

I just want them to like each other one day.

Diane

Prin
October 26th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Hello my name is Simon. And I like to do drawrings. Were you looking at my bum? :D (From SNL back in the day when it was good...)

I think you have to go to neutral territory often for the first bit. When they are out in the real world, they might become more like a pack, work as a team... Maybe...

It's hard though. I've always done test runs before committing to another doggy because sometimes they just don't get along...