Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Meanings of different barks??

lm9012
October 26th, 2005, 07:04 PM
My boyfriend and I just adopted a beautiful Jack Russell terrier mix dog from the pound. He's about 1 1/2 years old. We've had him a week, and neither of us knows too much about dogs. We do know we are in love with him already and are trying our best to make him comfortable and happy. He seems to love us right back. He is super well behaved and friendly. He doesn't bark much, my boyfriend has discovered he is already trained and does bark on command. Also, once my boyfriend chased some neighborhood kids out of our yard and our little guy ran right behind him barking as if he was protecting him! He has a different bark with me though. About 3 times already, all of which involved me being at his eye level, sweet talking him, or singing to him, he begins to howl and bark - his bark sounds almost like a shriek or cry. Once we pet him he calms down. Also, if I'm not home and my boyfriend has me on the phone, he'll put the phone by our dog's ears and I talk to him -- he makes the same howls and shriek noises again! Some people say it's his special way of 'talking' to just me. Others say he may be trying to tell me he is in some kind of pain. But why wouldn't he do this all the time? And why not do this to my boyfriend as well? We know he is trying to adjust, plus he was neutered two days before we brought him home. He has been through a lot and we want to be patient. I just have so many questions. Is it possible that he is trying to tell me something? Are there meanings to different tones/styles of barks? Sorry so long..any help is appreciated! Thanks! :thumbs up

yoda900_ca
October 26th, 2005, 09:27 PM
My sounds to me like he's singing along with you. Join the "pack" in agood old fashion howl . I had a malamute that we trained to "talk to you" If you said his name and then talk to me He would woo-woo and "talk" (malamutes don't really bark) We got him to do this when we noticed i would sing and he would howl.(my hubby said because my singing sucked-lol) so i started saying talk to me and praised him when he did it and tada talking dog. If he's not in any obvious pain or distress I think he's just chiming in.

jesse's mommy
October 26th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Definitely sounds like he's singing and talking. I would just have fun with it.

gottahavepets
October 26th, 2005, 10:54 PM
My aunt had a dog (not a jack) and he would talk and growl and it was almost english. Sometimes it even sounded like he was swearing. Niki has sounds that she makes that I know are 'talking' sounds, all kinds of moans and groans and gruffs. She has a hello bark, it sounds happy and cheerful and excited, she also has defensive barking sounds when she doesn't know who's at the door or on the deck or across the road. I think he's singing with you, it's sounds cute, you could take it on TV!

Prin
October 27th, 2005, 12:40 AM
We promised Jemma's old owner that we wouldn't stop her from howling. She's a very vocal doggy and we love it.

Yes all barks have different meanings. They vary by dog but a couple are constant...

The one you'll learn the quickest is the "robber bark".. That one is scary. Like all of a sudden they break out into a long series of barks with no breaths in between. Like rourourourourou rourou. But loud. LOUD. It means there's an intruder... Scary. I taped my doggies this week and they robber barked 3 times and we didn't get any junk mail or anything. I wonder what they saw.

Then there's the boredom bark. Little abrupt solitary bark with about 20 seconds in between. That's the bark you hear most often from doggies who are tied up outside. :rolleyes: It's kinda sad.

But like I said, every doggy is different and over time, you'll learn to communicate better. We never completely figure it out though...

lm9012
October 27th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I am taking him to his first vet visit this weekend. It will be a full week since we've had him..and yes everyday we are learning something new. I think he has a bit of a cold right now..he sneezes and makes little grunts like his nose is stuffed up..but it's still cold and wet so I'm hoping it is just a simple case of the sniffles. :sick:
I really hope all is well when we visit the doc. Like I said, we got him from a shelter..so we don't know what kind of life he had before. All we do know is he will have a great life from here on out.

I am loving the idea that he has a special way of 'talking' just to me...I think that is awesome..and I hope you are all right! :fingerscr

THanks again! I am happy to be joining the proud dog owner's club!

jessi76
October 27th, 2005, 11:46 AM
You may be interested in "How to Speak Dog" by Stanly Coren.

Roxy's_MA
October 27th, 2005, 11:57 AM
I own a Jack, and I can tell you they can get some pretty high pitched barks going on. Sometimes when she wants something really badly she will use her high pitched bark. She also groans alot, when she is resting and get interupted.

My Jack also sneezed and snorts alot. She does it when she is playing, digging her nose in a balnket, or bangs her nose on something. She does this quite often. She will sneeze, give her head a little shake, and get back at what ever she was doing.

Prin
October 27th, 2005, 01:42 PM
You may be interested in "How to Speak Dog" by Stanly Coren.
I find he gets way too detailed in the barks. Doggies are different for a lot of barks and his list is way too specific. The rest of the book is great though.