Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy in doggy hospital

yoda900_ca
October 26th, 2005, 04:56 PM
My 19wk old puppy is staying over night at the vet. :( he is sick again. Since we got him at 7 weeks he has had 2 upper resp infections,coccidia,hook worms, puppy impentigo and now his in w/the trots,fever,dehydrated and refusing to eat. Getting a puppy iv and my vet is doing blood work on him because he thinks it's abnormal that a dog this young should be sick so many times. Has anybody else had a puppy w/this many health issues so young? Is in just bad luck or could there be something wrong w/him? Personal I think the coccidia and hook worms have weakened his immune system but when i offer this suggestion to the vet he said no. He said if the blood work comes back neg he wants to run xray and pursue this further even if the fever and trots improve overnight. The impression i got from him was he feels there is something wrong with one of his systems. does anybody have any suggestions?

mastifflover
October 26th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Can I ask where you got your puppy? It sounds like you may have gotten a sick pup from the place you got it. I would save all the bills from your vet to try and be reimbursed. I hope your pup gets better quickly, have they ruled out parvo it is very common in pups. Info on where your dog came from may be helpful

Toonces
October 26th, 2005, 05:25 PM
I don't have any suggestions for you but I am sorry that you have this happening with your new pup. I had a foster dog with coccidia and he had the worst smelly runny poops I have ever seen, my vet said this would make him a little more docile than usual and he was very hungry all the time untill we got it cleared up and that was an ongoing thing and very hard to get rid of.

Again, so sorry and I hope he is feeling better soon.

yoda900_ca
October 26th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Goku is an alaskan malamute. i got him from a local breeder in the niagara region and she guareentee's thier health for 2yrs. One of the blood test they are running is for parvo even though he has had all his shots. i'm very frustrated. We have worked through some behavior issues w/this puppy and he is turning into a wonderful little guy. I really hoping his immune system is just weak from being sick. our family will be crushed if something is majorly wrong. :fingerscr

K9Friend
October 26th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Could be so many things - a virus, he ate something bad....keep us posted.
and if there is something wrong - definitely get in touch with your breeder.
Feel better soon lil' guy! :grouphug:

shannon1233A
October 26th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Yoda, so sorry you are all going through this. I will keep the little guy in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery :grouphug:

Lucky Rescue
October 26th, 2005, 06:51 PM
I don't know what kind of breeder you got him from, but

infections,coccidia,hook worms, puppy impentigo is not good.

These breeders should be covering these vet bills, since it doubtful he got both hook worms and coccidia since you got him.

Do you keep him in the house?

april07
October 26th, 2005, 07:05 PM
yoda, i'm sorry that you are having to go through this. i hope your little one will be fine and makes a fast recovery :grouphug:

doggy lover
October 26th, 2005, 07:14 PM
I think that I'd be getting in contact with the breeder, not only to get them to pay but for the sake of the other pups too. Good luck, keep us updated on how your little guy is doing.

yoda900_ca
October 26th, 2005, 07:46 PM
ty all; The breeder provided pet insurance till he was 14weeks. I am in touch with most of the other puppy owners. there were 9 all together in this litter. 2 others came down with coccidia about 2weeks after we picked them up. Once the first pup came down w/it the breeder issued us a worning to get all other pup tested and mine and another female both got sick. he also had an upper resp the week prior. the sulfer drug for coccidia caused the pup impentigo. after the coccidia his stools tested neg for parsites. he was tested again in mid late sept which was neg. he then got another resp infection. tested neg for worms again. Then took him in last week because he was eating non stop and i mean anything in site. He tessted pos for hookworms. Dewormed him then yest spiked fever wouldn't eat dinner and the runs started after mid. wouldn't eat breakfast,didn't want to go for awalk and the soonest the vet could get me in was 2pm. He checked for coccidia again-neg; still somehook worm but they have to take meds10days apart to wipe them all out. No blood in stool but some mucus(yuck) I'm still at a loss and so is the vet. ty all for your imput. hopefully it's just a run of bad luck oh someone asked if he is in the house. Most of the time yes. He spend about 2hr's a day outside w/us walking playing etc.(He a malamute so unless u spend at least 2 hr's walking or playing in the park he get's antsy) and a few hours in his outside pen. He loves his outside with us time. he play's w/us inside 2 but we have wood and tile floors and he's clutzy so it's hard for him to really run inside.

Prin
October 26th, 2005, 10:34 PM
I hope your doggy gets better, :fingerscr and I hope you don't recommend your breeder to anyone...

yoda900_ca
October 27th, 2005, 02:52 PM
i just brought goku home. The vet is fairly sure that he has a stomach/intestinal infection related to having all the previous problems. He said sometimes hookworms can cause a secondary infection. The gave him an iv ,antibotics and by this am he was his normal hyper self. His stools are normal on meds and he has to take atibiotics 4 10days. We will get all blood work results back by tomarrow am. The vet said he'll have a more definitive ans once all the blood work comes back. Hopefully he's ok and it's just been bad luck. I've spent a small fortune in vet bills since I got this pup. I think after today they total more then i spent on him.

Roxy's_MA
October 27th, 2005, 03:01 PM
If the breeder garauntees health for two years, I would see if he/she could cover some of your expenses. Do you have a reciept or any documentation of this garuantee?

yoda900_ca
October 27th, 2005, 03:22 PM
i do but it is for serious health problems such as siezures, cancer, thyroid disease, etc. at which point she will let you get a new puppy when she breeds again or refund your money and depending on the situation. I don't really want a diff dog we are very attatched to him. We have been visiting him since he was 3wks old and he's one of the family already. Also we have had some personal losses in our family and i don't think my 10yr old could handle if his dog went away.(i had a stillborn baby girl and a month after that I spent 5wks in the hospital from complications from gallstones which cause my liver to shut down. this was about a year ago now. when i bought the dog i knew the finacial obligations but didn't quite think i'd be spending over $800 dollars in 2months time. I'm not sure what we'll do if he comes back w/ a cronic problem so i'm hoping for the best. :fingerscr

mastifflover
October 27th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I am so glad to hear your baby is feeling better. I totally understand not even considering another dog he is your baby and you sound like you have been through enough. I hope all turns out well with the test results and I would still try and get the breeder to help out since some of this started there. :pawprint: :pawprint:

jawert1
October 27th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Glad he's home yoda and also quite glad you're here too :)

yoda900_ca
October 28th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Goku's blood work came back this afternoon all normal w/ a slightly elevate WBC. This ties in w/the vet feeling he has a intestinal infection related to the previous problems. The good news is he saw no eviedence of any internal organ problems or thyroid disorder. THANK YOU to everyone who responded to my post. Your imput and support was very much appriciated. Hopefully our pup is on the mend and this is the last of the vet we have to see for along time. Thanks again :grouphug:

Toonces
October 29th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Great news!! Give Goku a big belly rub from me, so happy he is ok.