Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for a dog in the Ottawa area

BeagleMum
October 26th, 2005, 03:32 PM
A friend of mine is looking for a dog within a 5 hour radius of Ottawa. She is looking for something like a Springer Spaniel or smaller. We have been checking petfinder and all of the local shelters but there hasn't been one yet that has really grabbed her heart. She is looking for a dog 2 years or older.

Can anyone help?

born_a_lion
October 27th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Hi Grover4!

The best anyone here can suggest to you, in my opinion, would be to keep looking. Finding the right dog doesn't always happen right away. Sometimes it takes a while. Just keep visiting the local shelters. Also, she may want a specific breed, but you should suggest to her that she have an open heart. Sometimes the "perfect" pet comes in another shape, size, age and gender that you would never expect:) Just by going in and seeing all the dogs in need of a good home, one might catch her attention and steal her heart away!

Also, the web is a great source for finding a new little fur baby to join you as a companion. But, if you have access to a vehicle, or don't mind a bus ride, she should actually go visit the shelters/rescues. With the over-abundance of animals looking for a new home, the websites are not always up-to-date. Most try their best to, but since they are volunteer based, it can be very difficult. So, please keep in mind that there may be more animals there than you are seeing on the site.

Here is the list of animal shelters/rescues I know of in the area;

Trinity of Hope
Ottawa Humane Society
Friends of Abandoned Pets
Minpinerie
Westminster Pet Sanctuary (2 Special Needs Dogs)
Arnprior and Disctrict Humane Society (Arnprior)
K-911 Rescue (Manotick)
Homes For Abandoned Pets (Lansdowne)
Leeds Grenville Branch Ontario SPCA (Brockville)
Kingston Humane Society (Kingston)
SPCA of Western Quebec (Hull)

There are other rescues on the Hull/Gatineau side.

You might even want to check Montreal. I know Foxy Canine Companions and Little Angels Animal Adoptions, both have very good reputations.
Quinte Humane Society (Belleville)

Best of luck to your friend!