Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cana heart murmur always lead to early death

cpietra16
October 26th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Hi, I did not want to highjack "Concernedmom's", But I am in a state of panic...I am so not ready to lose another baby so soon. Nicki has always had a mumur and in the last few days I have noticed that she seemed to want to cough up a hairball , but nothing comes out. She seems to be able to eat, but when I give her tuna juice she seems to gag after ever other gulp. She will try and try to drink but its almost like she has an irritated throat. She is very playful and still hunts the other cats down. i have an appointment with the vets tommorrow morning, but I was just wondering what I should look for when a cat's heart murmur becomes "dangerous", lack of a better word. Nicki is only 9 and I really want to keep her around another 10 years...
Concernedmom, when you say gagging, do you mean like coughing up a hairball and when you say out of breath...can you please explain...or anyone elase that has seen these things happen to their cats..thanks

jessi76
October 26th, 2005, 12:45 PM
you'll know if it's just a hairball, or a life-threatening can't breath type gag. I'll do my best to describe what my cat did, but I'm sure all cats are different....

Mine was under a computer desk that she didn't normally sit under (she was hiding), had her mouth as wide open as it could go, struggling to breath, bording on a "no air spasm" - was hunched over... it was horrifying. my other cat (who just started living w/ me) was right next to my cat, HOWLING - to get my attention, fast! and it worked. My cat just sat there, with her mouth wide open, struggling to breath... and I knew something was VERY VERY wrong.

cpietra16
October 26th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks Jessi76, Nicki isn't hiding, but now that I've been on this board, everything seems to be magnified. I lost Orca two years ago, and I am thinkig it may have been his heart. I came home and he was laying in the middle of the livingroom floor like he was fast asleep. When I called I knew he was gone. He also has a heart murmur . I don't want to come home and see Nicki laying down in the middle of the floor, especially if I know what to look for. I hope I am just panicking...I'll know tomorrow.

Puppyluv
October 26th, 2005, 01:39 PM
No, heart murmurs do not "always lead to an early death" I was diagnosed with one at 2, still have it, and have no plans on dying anytime earlier than the murmurless. Murmurs are not so much a problem, as they are a symptom. They are irregularities in the beating of the heart, often caused by turbulant blood flow.Good luck with your kitty though :fingerscr