Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick Kids-Nephew in Hospital

raingirl
October 26th, 2005, 09:05 AM
I just found out from my mom that my Nephew is in Sick Kids hospital in Toronto with Pnuemonia.

If some of you remember, a while back I posted about my sister and her disabled son, and how I was unsure about whether he was getting good care with her, since my sister isn't really all that smart. You can search my old posts if you want to the whole story.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, my sis took him to a walkin clinic as he was having trouble breathing, and he was immediately air lifted to Sick Kids because it was so bad (which my sister didn't see...but that's another story).

So, he was there for a few weeks and almost died, and because he can't sit on his own (he is almost 2 years old now) he was getting food in his lungs. Now he has a feeding tube....or at least he did. Anyway...my sister decided to feed him food again (don't know why?) and he got sick again!

I guess I'm just ranting. At least he is getting better care now. At sick kids, they found out the bones of his skull are overlapped causing pressure on the brain, which is probably why he has brain damage (which is funny because no one figured that out yet!). He now has a case worker, and a nurse that comes to my sister's each day.

I guess I'm pissed that my sister doesn't learn, but thankful that Sick Kids is now involved and helping out.

Prin
October 26th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Aww, I hope everything works out. Poor kiddie. :grouphug:

raingirl
October 26th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Yeah. I hope so too. My mom was saying that everyone at the hospital was shocked that NO DOCTORS had even tried to find out what was wrong with him in the last two years. No investigations, no tests, nothing! One nurse even told my mom that this was grounds for medical malpractice, as my nephew probably wouldn't of had so many problems, if these had been investigated earlier, even at birth!

And no one can really visit him as he is in isolation.

Luvmypit
October 26th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Oh raingirl, I do remember your story and how worried you were. I am glad that at least now if your sister isn't paying attention that there are others involved.

Heres hoping your nephew recovers and maybe finds a nice long term care plan to deal with the damage sustained and deal with it accordingly. AT least he will now get the help he needs.

CyberKitten
October 26th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I know how angry you must be but at least now he is in a good hospital with some good resources and hopefully your sister will listen to them!!

mona_b
October 26th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Sick Kids is DEFINATELY one of the best hospitals for kids.I know,I spent alot of time there after my daughter was born.One of the top orthapedic surgeons did surgery on her at 3 months for her clubfoot.And he did a great job with the castings.Which she was 2 days old when she got her first cast.

Even though he ended up going to the States years ago,she still goes there to get her foot checked.She been going there for 18 years now.

Your nephew is in great hands there.. :thumbs up

Your nephew is in my prayers...And your sister BETTER listen to the Doc's.

doggy lover
October 27th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Sorry to here about your nephew, but Sick Kids is a great hospital. Hopefully now they can give him some help. Why would she feed him if he was on a tube feed, mind you we have had families insist on still giving their parent food when on them. Is there no other resources where she lives to get more help? Keep us updated on how he does.