Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Possibly Pregnant?

buffytwin
October 26th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Hi there, I have a friend who is looking to take a dog from a friend who got it from SPCA. The dog is a Chihuahua mix, but it appears that her nipples look a bit swollen, or bigger then they should be. Does this mean she is pregnant, or could there be other reasons? She's about a year and a half old. Do dogs that come from SPCA get spayed or neutered? I thought I read somewhere that they do that before releasing the dogs? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

raingirl
October 26th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Some SPCA's do, and some don't.

Swollen nipples could also mean an infection or possible "false pregnancy" if the dog is not spayed.

The only way to tell for sure it to take it to a vet and have them examine her. I would also contact the SPCA where the dog came from to find out it it was spayed or not.

If the dog is pregnant, who knows who the father is, and if the pups are too big, the dog could die. I would suggest to your friend that if the dog is pregnant, to have it spayed (and abort the puppies) as it would not be safe to continue the pregnancy. And yes, the vet can spay and abort the puppies before they are born. It is very common, and would help by not adding to the unwanted pet population.

Let us know what happens.

buffytwin
October 26th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Ya I told her either way to take it to the vet and she's going to, but thought I'd ask just to see:) Thanks for the info, and I will pass it to my friend. I work with her everyday so soon as she finds out what it was, I'll let you know:) By the way, i've seen tons of pictures of your doggy Odin, he's adorable! I just love him!

Lucky Rescue
October 26th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Check for a spay scar low down on her belly. It may or may not be visible. Nipples larger than normal may just mean she's had a litter in the past.

The person who owns the dog should have some records - of shots, spay surgery, etc.

raingirl
October 26th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Thanks Buffy. I hope it works out with this dog. I can't imagine a Chi giving birth to a large dog's pups!!

buffytwin
October 27th, 2005, 10:08 AM
My friend has been calling vets and they all have told her they will charge $60 just to look at her and that they may not even be able to tell if she's pregnant or not... I don't think anyone wants to spend that much money, the lady thats getting rid of him obviously won't, and the lady that might be taking her (my friends grandmother) doesn't want her if she is pregnant and probably won't want to pay that much possibly for no reason.. Kinda sucks:( They should have pet pregnancy tests in the drug store, lol... So at this point I'm really not sure whats going to happen.

doggirl
October 27th, 2005, 10:53 AM
My friend has been calling vets and they all have told her they will charge $60 just to look at her and that they may not even be able to tell if she's pregnant or not... I don't think anyone wants to spend that much money,

This is a typical exam fee - I don't mean to come across harsh but what is a fair price in your opinion for a veterinarian to examine a dog and check for pregnancy?

the lady thats getting rid of him obviously won't, and the lady that might be taking her (my friends grandmother) doesn't want her if she is pregnant and probably won't want to pay that much possibly for no reason..

Did I miss something? I thought the dog came from an SPCA? Why is the person wanting to get rid of her? Which SPCA was this? Didn't the friend find out when they adopted, if the dog was already spayed? It's not like it's top secret from adoptors. How long has she had the dog? Is she planning on charging your friend?

Jazz&Cricket
October 27th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Just another thought...if the person doesn't want to spend $60.00 on the dog....what happens if the dog has some other health issues? Owning a dog is not cheap by any means. (I know...I have one with heart issues, one with hip dysplasia) I'm not trying to be harsh either just adding a bit of realism.