Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Harnesses

april07
October 26th, 2005, 12:45 AM
There are 2 different dog harnesses that I've seen...the step in, and the other one that goes over their head and under their front paw. Which one would you reccomend?

The reason I ask is a couple of weeks ago my mom and cousin both have maltese (and obviously they are small) they bought Rogz collars the small ones and they ended up pulling and the collar came off. they did take back the collars and i guess there was a shipment where they accidently put the cat claps on instead....but still the worry is there.My boy is a westie and he does well on walks but he really pulls when he sees other dogs as he is so excited and wants to see them. So after my famililes incident there is a little bit of fear there. I thought putting a harness on him while we go for walks might be better as if for some reason it did unsnap you at least have some time to get him before he fully gets out. also has anyone else ever had a collar unsnap??

epundt
October 26th, 2005, 09:19 AM
I have 2 harnesses for my lab x. One is a lunge harness, useless, the other is the kind she steps into and buckles around her chest. She also wears a collar. If she wants to shed the collar or the harness, it takes her about 2 seconds to do it. She backs away from you, ducks her head, moves her front feet forward and it slips off. Since we go fishing a lot we have to keep her restrained when we come up to the dock or else she will jump off too soon. I worry about her getting between the boat and the dock, really hurting herself. Now what I do is get an exceptionaly long leash, hook it into her collar or harness, loop the leash around her chest and and back into itself on her back. When she pulls it tightens up around her girth and wont slip off, when she slacks off, so does the loop. It doesn't hurt her but she can't wiggle out. I also use this method when walking her when she has to be on a leash. On my smaller dogs, I like the step into type harness that buckles around the chest. They haven't mastered the escape method my lab has. :)
E.

jessi76
October 26th, 2005, 09:43 AM
There are 2 different dog harnesses that I've seen...the step in, and the other one that goes over their head and under their front paw. Which one would you reccomend?

The reason I ask is a couple of weeks ago my mom and cousin both have maltese (and obviously they are small) they bought Rogz collars the small ones and they ended up pulling and the collar came off. they did take back the collars and i guess there was a shipment where they accidently put the cat claps on instead....but still the worry is there.My boy is a westie and he does well on walks but he really pulls when he sees other dogs as he is so excited and wants to see them. So after my famililes incident there is a little bit of fear there. I thought putting a harness on him while we go for walks might be better as if for some reason it did unsnap you at least have some time to get him before he fully gets out. also has anyone else ever had a collar unsnap??

YUP! We recently went to a buckle collar instead of the plastic snap-in collar closure because our pup Tucker did unsnap it by pulling. When we walk, I use the EASY WALK harness, made by the same company who makes "the gentle leader" head harness. Here's a link so you can see how it works (easier than trying to explain it in a post)

http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?ID=75

This does have the same snap-closure, but because the leash attaches in the front, not back, it minimizes pulling. My pup has not been able to unsnap this one - been using it for 5 months now.

SnowDancer
October 26th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Check out the website www.tailsup.ca. It is a store, but from the listing of products you will see the connections for Canine Equipment and Canine Friendly - same company - the Canine Friendly will show you a harness that goes over the front of the dog like a bib and clasps in the back. These harnesses are great - and are lined to prevent rubbing. Easy to get on. My dog has 2 of these. We also recently got him the NewTrix training harness - can be used with a collar of hook on to his harness. The New Trix would not be left on your dog - really just used for long walks as there is a piece that goes over the nose. I haven't used it as yet - the lady who walks my pup once a week has though. Many people have stopped to ask me brand type of the Canine Friendly 3 in 1 harness though.

rivers
October 26th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I bought the step-in for my 9 week old schnauzer. It works really well, and I like it that it doesn't pull on her neck. She hasn't escaped yet, even with her pulling and running ahead. It adjusts too as puppy grows. I like it, worth the extra $.

Puppyluv
October 26th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Has anyone had any problems with any of these harnesses rubbing on the chest? I've tried 3 different harness on Layla, and since she has sparse, wiry chest hair, and is quite long and lean, the harnesses all rub away at her breast bone, leaving a pretty bad cut. As a result I haven't been able to harness her since. I would really like to be able to, but haven;t found one that won't rub away. Any ideas?

jessi76
October 26th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I haven't noticed any rubbing with the easy-walk, and Tucker has barely any fur on his underside - mostly just very fine hair & pink skin... and it hasn't bothered him anywhere.

raingirl
October 26th, 2005, 11:52 AM
I LIke Buddy Belts leather harnesses. They have a belt buckle closure, and are form fitted, so impossible to get out of.

http://www.barkandfitz.com/product.cfm?cid=22&pid=242&sku=5322

jesse's mommy
October 26th, 2005, 02:03 PM
We have a harness for Jesse that wraps around her chest and has the plastic snap/buckle on it. She has very short hair and is extremely strong (all muscle) and we haven't had any problems with it rubbing her chest and giving her cuts or with it breaking. We actually got the harness for the dog that is the next size up from her just in case if she grew any bigger than she is. Even though she hasn't grown any larger, I think this is why we haven't had any problems with irritation or with it breaking. When we put it on we adjust the size of it to fit her on the loose/comfortable side as opposed to a snug fit. It's the best thing in the world because I have carpel tunnel and it makes it a lot easier to walk her and hang on to her. Hopefully that helps!

Puppyluv
October 26th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Hmm I passed a pet boutique today that seemed to have lots of different harnesses, so maybe I'll go back this weekend with Layla, and ask to try them out (with the prices they charge, I can't imagine them saying no :rolleyes: )
It's odd because the harnesses I have are extremely soft nylon, I mean, I think I could wear them and not get chafing, but she seems to be really sensitive to them.
She can wear them if she wears a tee-shirt underneath, but it isn't always practical for her to wear clothes.
I really want to find one that works, because she responds really well to them (when she's wearing the shirt, and not getting cut)

PetFriendly
October 26th, 2005, 03:14 PM
She can wear them if she wears a tee-shirt underneath, but it isn't always practical for her to wear clothes.
I really want to find one that works, because she responds really well to them (when she's wearing the shirt, and not getting cut)

What if you made sleeve type things out of lambs wool or really think polar fleece for the straps that rub?!