Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog has a licking problem

toymom
October 25th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Honey is a 2 yo golden retriever. She has always been a licker. She licks people a lot and licks stuff a lot. When she is in her crate, she will just lay there and lick the bottom of the crate or the front grate of it. :eek: It is kind of gross to watch. :yuck: She licks herself a lot, licks all people, licks the puppy...
I have asked the vet, he just says she likes to lick a lot. Anyone else experience this? It is a slobbery problem.

jesse's mommy
October 25th, 2005, 11:07 PM
My dog is a tongue on four legs. I just warn people before they come into the house and make sure I have wetnaps on hand. I would rather her be a lover than a fighter!

LM1313
October 25th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Ebony will lick rugs if she's lying down or will "nibble" on her paw. She's not trying to get burrs out or anything, she just likes to work at the fur between her pads with her teeth. She doesn't scrape them or irritate them, so we just let her. ;)

~LM~

Prin
October 26th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Maybe she's bored or anxious?

BMDLuver
October 26th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Licking paws, people, legs, etc... I refer to as obsessive compulsive behaviour. I have an Aussie/Berner cross that does it and it normally coincides with anxiety.. she does it for comfort. I use Biocalm, an all natural supplement from the vet and it really does reduce this to a bare minimum. It took about 2 weeks to see the full results.

Of course, some dogs go at feet and legs because of allergies too.

Corrie
October 26th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Toymom....I have a 10 month old West Highland Terrier, Charlotte, who has a similar problem....she sucks at her feets alot...but only her feet, not anything else. I e-mailed a trainer/breeder of Westies who is the guru of all things Westie (she really knows her stuff) and this is the answer she gave me...

For many animals, foot sucking and licking is a comforter, like thumb sucking is for children, and often occurs when the dog is tired or getting sleepy. You might try offering her something in place of her foot or allowing her to choose something she can use as a comforter to replace foot sucking. Foot sucking *may* be a familial trait, running in certain bloodlines. In some cases, the Westie will transfer the habit to a sock, small stuffed toy, or other soft object.

However, if this habit tends to occur within an hour of eating, you might
want to consider changing her diet or adding a digestive enzyme, since foot
licking can be a sign of discomfort in the digestive tract or a sensitivity to a
certain ingredient.

Hope this helps.

toymom
October 26th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Thank you, she likes to lick all of the time, but she does lick the crate when she is going to sleep, so maybe it is a comfort thing like thumb sucking. Sometimes she has her toys in the crate with her when she goes to sleep and sometimes not. I will try giving one to her when she is licking the crate and see if that helps. :)