Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Member & Just Rescued Kitten Questions

jesse's mommy
October 25th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Hi there. I'm a new member, but have read many posts in the past to help with questions I have with my 1 1/2 year old female pit/lab mix we rescued from the humane societ (very sweet, loves to give kisses!).

Anyway, I have a question because I'm known to constantly pull over on the side of the road and rescue animals from dogs, to chickens -- don't laugh at that one -- to my newest a kitten who has to be under a month old. Unfortunately because we have the active puppy we are not able to keep the kitty, though she is the sweetest thing. She is very thin, but eating on her own and has been eating since I got her. Her stool is now normal and everything seems fine. My questions basically have to do with the fact that she is a stray. We have found a non-kill sanctuary to take her for adoption, but we have to wait two weeks, which is fine. We set up the spare bathroom for her with a bed, blankie, food, water, toys and a litter box while we aren't here or need a few minute break from the puppy's amazement with this little creature. I have never owned a cat in my life so this is completely new to me. We are not going to take her to the vet and spend the money on shots since we aren't keeping her and know the sanctuary will take care of them. I've bathed her and sprayed her with a kitten safe flea formula and also have cleaned her ears. Is there anything else I should be looking for? Her ears were just dirty, no mites. As I said before she is very thin -- you can feel her ribs and her bones in her legs, but she does have a little belly on her (could be because she has been eating regularly the past two days). Her stool seems fine and doesn't look like it has any worms or anything in it. The only thing I did notice is that she has some black spots around her anus. Not fleas or worms, just spots. It's rather weird. So to the naked eye she seems fine, but again I know nothing about cats. I just want to know if there is anything I should be looking for and I also want to make sure my puppy won't get any diseases. I really don't know where to start. Thank you so much!!!