Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Giving a New Name to an 11-month-old

Byrd
October 25th, 2005, 08:18 PM
A friend of mine is about to adopt an 11-month-old Australian Shepherd (Willow's littermate to be exact). There is one problem and that is the name... she was unfortunately given the name Aussie. He would like to change it as it is 1) more of a male name, and 2) Just a silly name for an Aussie.

Does anyone have any suggestions.... I've said to try to find something that rhymes with the current name.

MollysMommy
October 25th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Really, I don't think it matters. As long as you completely drop the old name and just keep using the new name. Dogs are quick learners. Most dogs adopted from shelters are given new names, and they are just fine. When I adopted Molly her name was Midge (GROSS), so we started calling her Molly all the time. Now she doesn't even respond to the name Midge whatsoever.

CyberKitten
October 25th, 2005, 11:28 PM
I agree - She will learn the new moniker with little problem. Pets even learn to respond to several names. My YY is called Katie by my mom and understands all the commands (when like any cat she deems it worth her while to answer a "command" or her name, :) ) my friend who cares for her when I am away even tho they are primarily in French. Most pets are quite versitile in terms of responding to names.

I've never thought of Aussie as a male or female, kind of genderless really, in the same vein as Canadian - unless yiou are being pc in French and it is Canadienne or Canadien. ;)

Byrd
October 26th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Well, I'm thinking Aussie would sound like Ozzy, as in Osbourne.

He is probably going with Stormie.... he likes storms and storm chasing, etc... so the name suits him as well as her. I knew that someone I know would have a pet with that name in the near future.

Prin
October 26th, 2005, 12:13 PM
I don't think you should necessarily pick a rhyming name. This bugger is young enough to learn quickly. :) Hmm... Hard to suggest without a pic... What about Red (like Red Foreman :D )? Or Jimmy?

PetFriendly
October 26th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Doesn't Stormie sound like a male name too though?! A picture would help

Byrd
October 26th, 2005, 08:17 PM
This is the only pic I have, it was when they were four months old and we took Willow up to visit her.

And, like with the last person I told this name to, Stormie is a girl's name to me as I used to ride a mare named Storm.

BMDLuver
October 26th, 2005, 08:20 PM
How about Motley? Kind of goes with the coat pattern and definitely different.

Byrd
October 26th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Oh, here he sent this one... It's dark because it was taken with a camera phone.

doggy lover
October 26th, 2005, 08:59 PM
What a sweet little merle, they are so different. I've only ever seen one in bc's and that was from a distance. Does AS's have a website that gives you the names of their registered dogs you might get an idea from there, or look up Australian baby names or abarigonal names from Australia, just an idea?

Byrd
October 26th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Here is a pic of the two girls together, dispite the differences in colouring you can really tell that they are littermates.

It's amazing, I went with him to pick her up, and she has already taken to us... and even moreso him, which is incredible. She stared at her 'daddy' the whole way home. You can tell in the pic that she is a little nervous, but for a car ride home with strangers and then being in a strange place with a strange dog, she did really well.... that is her dad she is looking up at.

Her colouring is odd, in some lights she looks like a red merle (which is what she was born as), but in others there is a bit of blue there. She is definitely red though as the spots are brown.

He would like a name that has something to do with fire, but is feminine, as his nickname is FireMate, he is thinking Phoenix (What we were going to call Willow as I'm Byrd and He's FireMate so she, our daughter, would be a cross between us), but I don't think it's feminine enough.... which is why Willow didn't get it.

Prin
October 26th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Oops sorry! I thought you were looking for a more male name... :o
What about Blaze?

MollysMommy
October 27th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Ooooh...I really like Phoenix.

doggirl
October 27th, 2005, 11:04 AM
We change names of dogs and cats all the time, including senior pets. They do fine with a changed name. It doesn't need to sound similar to the original name, trust me they will figure out a new name pretty quick if they're treated well when they're called. I think people tend to go overboard with name changing, they do just fine.

Byrd
October 27th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I think Phoenix is it! He has been trying it out with her all night.

She did well overnight.... very nervous pup. She seems to already becoming attached to her dad, which is great. Slept on the bed and is sticking very close.

Byrd
October 30th, 2005, 07:18 PM
So, I found out some new info on this dog. Seems she may have been abused, not necessarily by the owners, but by her birth mother. Brandy got everything, and took everything from her, even took cookies right from her mouth.

Um... the worst thing is, and the thing that really ticks me off, is she has never been to a vet.... no vaccinations, no heartworm, nothing! :mad:

I went to see her Friday and she didn't walk anywhere, she crawled. She would piddle at a sudden move, and heaven forbid if you accidentally touched her as she scooted past you. Within half an hour I had her up and moving about on all fours.

So, I had her stay with me on saturday (her dad works saturdays) and she and Willow had a blast together playing all day. She was a different dog by the time she went home, but apparently she quickly withdrew back into her shell once home.

Today we took the girls for a walk in a conservation area, they had fun.

She is learning how to be a dog from Willow. Her "big" sister is teaching her things she didn't seem to know.... like getting on couches, playing tug o' war, what a ball is for, play fighting, and most importantly cookies!

Willow Rush:
http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/1562/willowrush6my.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Happy faces (it's hard to believe they are the same age... Willow looks so much older):
http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/1287/willowandphoenix4st.jpg (http://imageshack.us)