Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy mouthing/chewing

Jingles
October 25th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Hi, I have a 10wk old shepherd x collie/maremma, Toby. He is constantly grabbing my clothing or hands. I tried for about 3 days straight the saying ouch like he hurt me but it didn't seem to bother him at all. So someone told me to try holding his mouth closed and saying no. So I've been doing that but he thinks its a game or something, he just keeps barking at me or trying to grab my hand when I let go. Anyone have any good ideas of how to train him not to chew my pantlegs or hands??? :confused:

Puppyluv
October 25th, 2005, 05:56 PM
I was tought to grab and (gently) hold the muzzle shut, and give him the old stare-down, straight into his eyes, and don't avert your gaze until he does, if you loook away first, he'll think he's won.

Jingles
October 25th, 2005, 10:09 PM
I've been trying that but it doesn't seem to work, in fact even if he does look away, when I release his mouth he usually does a little nippy thing again like playing or testing. So I grab him again and it takes an awfully long time for him to look away and then he may not nip right away but usually within minutes he's doing it again.

jessi76
October 26th, 2005, 09:11 AM
If you haven't done so already, I suggest looking into some puppy classes. The advice/info here is GREAT, but I feel a hands-on class is the best.

Our pup was a mouthing/biting machine too (as most are!), we simply ended playtime, and walked away - ignoring the pup for a few minutes. Then we'd redirect him with a toy and encourage him to chew on it, when he did chew on just the TOY, he got rewarded with a treat/praise/pats.

Jingles
October 26th, 2005, 10:54 AM
I've been looking into puppy classes but I can't seem to find any in my area. The one I did find wouldn't allow my puppy in because "he's not old enough". I figure a puppy weighing 25 lbs at 10 weeks should be allowed into classes. If I wait til he's 6 months he'll be a handful and a half!! And I know he can learn quite easily right now. I've already taught him to sit, come and heel (most of the time). He's a bright pup, but I do think you are right. Someone who can give me some hands on help would be extremely helpful.