Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Remember DOS?

raingirl
October 25th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Anyone here ever remember using DOS?

I sure do! And now I need to teach people who to do FTP using windows command prompt (which is DOS really).

Grr..any tips?

Puppyluv
October 25th, 2005, 04:32 PM
I do! cd.. :D
No tips though sorry, my brother tried to teach me windows command prompt, but gave up and told my parents that my next computer should be an apple, because I'm hopeless. :o

raingirl
October 25th, 2005, 04:36 PM
hahah. I am using screenshots to explain what I mean, but I'm sure people are going to be confused!

I am trying to explain that cd/ then enter will take you to the previous folder...I hope that makes sense!!

BMDLuver
October 25th, 2005, 04:41 PM
lol... MS Dos... haven't used that in ages...

explain what the letters mean as in cd/ change directory back

what in heavens name are these poor people going back to DOS for?

Puppyluv
October 25th, 2005, 05:15 PM
what in heavens name are these poor people going back to DOS for?
I'm guessing, but not sure, that they're not actually going back to dos, but that it's some sort of computer programming that Raingirl is teaching. That why my brother was trying to teach command prompt to me, so I could fix little problems, and change settings etc. But for every problem I fixed, I caused 5 new ones....

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 25th, 2005, 06:33 PM
does it stand for Disc Operating System.

I vaguely remember my old computer and the huge long codes you had to use, was that all part of DOS. I think I had word perfect back than too.

mafiaprincess
October 25th, 2005, 08:56 PM
I've used dos to find lost items or hidden items on my computer.. but that's about it. It can be quicker to deal with some stuff.

I'd suggest typing out line by line what you'd liek them to type into dos, and do it over something like msn, so if something happens, you can sort it out fast.

CyberKitten
October 25th, 2005, 10:13 PM
I actually liked DOS - but that was before Windows, lol Mind you, I still like UNIX. I used to do hobby programming with Q Basic - remember that? ;) I suppose we still use some of the processes in Visual Basic NET and some of those little VBA macros. (Have you ever considered creating macros to set up an online manual for the students to examine after class - sort of a place they can recall what they have learned or for reference. I am a Java person and prefer object oriented programming - as opposed to Basic and VB's object based prpgramming - but those little macros provide a very simple way to develop small programs (Students could click on what is essentially an Active X app on a web site and it shows them again what they already learned - and they can repeat as often as needed.)Mind you, you can use any programming language to do that but for small apps that take little time to create and even less space on your server (I still think in that mode even when it is not usually necessary anymore, lol). But ActiveX apps, VBA macros are prob the easiest to do. You can also accomplish the same thing using Flash or even one of the various programs designed to create Help Files. (which I guess these would be come to think of it, lol)

To those of you who started off in DOS (I now encounter med students and Residents who are soooo Windows oriented that they think typing commands is crazy, lol), do you still use the old 8.3 rule even tho it is hardly nec anymore? (In terms of naming). And so you still press F1 for Help or try to use the old Undelete command when you are running Windows XP? Am I alone in these piccadillos? I admittedly now name my files longer than 8 characters but I stiill tend to prefer short names.

I can't say I have thought of DOS as the Windows as the Windows prompt. I still call it the DOS prompt. (Old habits die hard I guess). I taught the Residents (the ones who did not already use FTP in some way) working in my Research program to use WS_FTP and just used screen shots and the occasional macro for some specifics. Some ppl need more than an arrow it seems. :p But for FTP with DOS

There are some good basic (er PUN NOT AT ALL INTENDED!!) make that good information on DOS programs:

http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/

qnos-e01.exe is a fast telnet/ftp program you might be interested in.

One of the things I have become lazy at - when I use FTP to transfer files - is that FTP by default assumes every file is in ASCII - and between that any my wonderful (NOT!!! :D ) typing skills - I end up with the error messages. Just don't forget the command, like binary for exe files, etc. (depending on the FTP ver of couyrse) And you can get a lost of the commands by typing at the FTP> dir a simple question mark, ie ?

Anyway - I don't know if this helps. I can only relate how I found making those simple macros a real help. Instead of answering a zillion questions, I only had to say, check it out on the intranet (we share a lot of stuff on an intranet) and see it in action. You know the expression, a picture is a thousand words - in this case I found a macro or tiny VBA app that showed where exactly to place the curser and what to type was wotrh a thousand little moving images, lol

Good luck!!!!

Jazz&Cricket
October 26th, 2005, 07:58 AM
No help either BUT, there are BANKING programs that I need to use at work that are DOS based!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Isn't that totally bizarre!!

twodogsandacat
October 26th, 2005, 10:08 AM
If you are using a Windows machine and are using DOS because it is built in and free I would consider using WSFTP. It is not that expensive and works well. DOS is ugly and I only use it if the job can't be done with a GUI (graphical user interface - windows)

Jazzmanian
October 26th, 2005, 03:44 PM
hahah. I am using screenshots to explain what I mean, but I'm sure people are going to be confused!

I am trying to explain that cd/ then enter will take you to the previous folder...I hope that makes sense!!

Except I don't think cd/ <ENTER> takes you to the previous folder (directory in DOS speak).

CD . (takes you to current directory - rather reduntand since your there now)
CD .. (takes you to the directory one up (parent) from current directory)
CD \ (takes you to the root directory of the drive.)

That said the FTP program itself run as a text based application within a windows command prompt uses different "moving around" commands, that are more based on UNIX then DOS. After it is started, ftp creates a subenvironment in which you can use ftp commands.

In the FTP program ...

CD / and
CD \

have the same effect since the program accepts both DOS style and UNIX style directory slash characters.

By The Way....re: DOS programs...

Not all programs that run in TEXT based windows are DOS programs. Many are 32bit windows programs that run in an only text mode. Also depending on your setup, your windows computer may be emulating (pretending to be) a text based terminal for a program running on a larger system in UNIX or some other operating system not at all related to DOS.

CyberKitten
October 26th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I use WS_FTP too if I can help it, lol And it's free - I think. The one piccadilloe I have noticed with it is when you upload the phtotos, it is case sensitive even tho HTML is not. Thus, main.htm is not the same as MAIN.htm and it seems like I have to type in the url as case sensitive which is really bizarre. I prefer WS_FTP as a kind of old and reliable program over CuteFTP and these other cutsey programs, lol

Is this a seminar just on FTP? You could introduce them to a variety of FTP software? - and concentrate on WS_FTP.

In my earlier post, I assumed you were teaching DOS? So I am a little confused - or just tired, lol

Jazzmanian
October 26th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Anyone here ever remember using DOS?

I sure do! And now I need to teach people who to do FTP using windows command prompt (which is DOS really).

Grr..any tips?

Try this - type "F1" at your windows desktop to get into windows help.
type "FTP" in the search and click on "Ftp subcommands"

Each subcommand is listed there.