Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Brittany Puppy Submissive Peeing

rjames
October 25th, 2005, 03:39 PM
I asked about this a couple of weeks ago but I don't think the responders understood my situation.

My brittany spaniel - now 18 weeks - has a problem of submissive peeing. It happens whenever she greets someone she hasn't seen in a while and sometimes when excited.

Other than Nature's Miracle, what's the best way to deal with this?

jessi76
October 25th, 2005, 03:47 PM
greet everyone outside.

Doesn't sound like submissive peeing to me. sounds like she's a puppy who can't yet hold her bladder.

Roxy's_MA
October 25th, 2005, 04:02 PM
We had a dog growing up that did this. She did all through puppyhood and adulthood. I don't know if it was considered submissive, but it definetly had nothing to do with size of her bladder. It was an excitment thing. We dealt with the problem by greeting her outside. Like your dog she would do when seeing someone she loved and hadn't visted in a while, or when she was really excited to see a family member. Not everyone got piddles from Pepper, only the ones that got her really excited.

rjames
October 25th, 2005, 04:12 PM
greet everyone outside.

Doesn't sound like submissive peeing to me. sounds like she's a puppy who can't yet hold her bladder.

I know for certain she can hold her bladder very well. It happens every day. If both my wife and I do not leave the house she's fine. No accidents. If one (or both) of us leave the house - upon arrival - get out the Nature's Miracle.

We've try to get her outside but it's not always possible...and besides she sometimes "leaks" while running to the door!

Call it what you want - submissive peeing - peeing - weak bladder - whatever - those are the facts and we need help!

jessi76
October 25th, 2005, 04:22 PM
You can call it what you want, but I won't call it submissive behavior. I don't see anything submissive about it. she's a young puppy, happy to see you, and loses control.

Have you tried desensitizing her to it? (come and go ALOT, alot in a day, day after day, if need be.)

rjames
October 25th, 2005, 04:32 PM
You can call it what you want, but I won't call it submissive behavior. I don't see anything submissive about it. she's a young puppy, happy to see you, and loses control.

Have you tried desensitizing her to it? (come and go ALOT, alot in a day, day after day, if need be.)

I believe it's submissive for a few reasons. Primarily, when initially greating her, she will have a small pee followed by running around a little bit and run back a pee a little bit again right in front of the person...run around for a few seconds...back and pee in front of the person. She will do this 3 or 4 times.

Second, she does this while carrying her favourite toy. She won't let go of the toy for about 20 minutes after greeting the person. Not even for food.

I haven't tried desensitizing. Would I do that similar to dealing with a barking dog?

jawert1
October 25th, 2005, 04:45 PM
my shepherd/chow female does the same, she's full grown and it's "I'm so happy to see you I'm gonna pee everywhere" pee - if she were submissive peeing there'd be other behaviours involved. I worked with Peaches (or PEEEEches depending :P) by coming and going a LOT on the weekends and upon arriving home, not paying any attention to her WHATSOEVER. No hellos, no petting, no eye contact, no nada for approx. 10 minutes. And yes, I had to instruct my guests to do the same lest they end up with wet feet/pantlegs. I'm happy to say that by making arrivals no big thing, she's really not had an incident in months. Also, once she went for more than a week without dribbling or full out puddling, I began eye contact again, but no physical contact. Basically now the only person she does pee on is my mom, but then hey, who doesn't get excited about a visit from grandma! Incidentally, Brittany's are a lot like springer spaniels (I've had the pleasure of owning one before) and so this may also be something that she never fully outgrows. Best of luck and keep us posted!

kayla
October 25th, 2005, 06:15 PM
My dog did the same as a puppy. If someone came to the door I would just greet them outside so at least she didn't get in the habit of peeing indoors. I would also ignore her when I first came home, and instruct others to do the same. She grew out of it at about 7-8 months.

Lucky Rescue
October 25th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Sounds like excitement peeing to me! This has nothing to do with housetraining and the dog has no control over it as I'm sure you already know.

Here are a bunch of great articles on dealing with this.
http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/htsubm.htm

mona_b
October 25th, 2005, 10:10 PM
not paying any attention to her WHATSOEVER. No hellos, no petting, no eye contact, no nada for approx. 10 minutes. And yes, I had to instruct my guests to do the same

That's exactly what you do.

We dropped off some newspapers at my SPCA on the weekend.Well while I was there,I saw this adorable pup.She wasn't up for adoption yet.But I just wanted to see her.They took her out and we went into the "observation" room...Well she ran around and I called her.There was a ton of excitement in my voice.Well she came running towards me,butt going a mile a minute,then she piddled,twice.We let her run around for a bit.We didn't look at her or say a word.Then after a while we started calling her.I was even sitting on the floor.We threw the ball around and I was even calling her.She was fine.A volunteer came in,ignored her for a bit,then started playing with her also.She didn't even piddle.I was told she was very submissive(3 months old)...The woman said the same thing jawert1 said.I would try this and see how it goes.

Also,for those who know me...I know what you are thinking and the answer is no....I am not getting another one..........Not yet that is.....LOL