Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pain in my backside

gottahavepets
October 25th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Help, I am having sciatica pain and would like any advice on how to ease it without needing to dope up. I have looked at other sites and they all seem to want to sell me some new funky drugs. I just want to make it go away. :sick:

raingirl
October 25th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Chiro. Have you tried that?

I have something like sciatica. Sciatica is when your sciatic nerve is being compressed by something. Do you know what is compressing it to cause the pain? Usually it's an imbalance in your body, like having one side stronger than the other, or one leg slightly longer than the other.

I get sciatic notch pain which is similar. I get it in my "sacro-illiac" which is where the sacrum (tail bone of spine) and illiac crest (of the pelvis) meet. It's not a true joint, but it has some mobility as they are connected by fibrous tissue. Mine is out of whack because I have scoliosis (curve in my spine) which curves to the right, so my left shoulder sinks down, and my left hip sticks higher up, causing strain on my left sacro-illiac joint.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I think you should see a chiro to get him to evaluate if you have any imbalances. He can adjust your spine and even things out, and also suggest exercises to strengthen the imbalance.

gottahavepets
October 25th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks I will try just about anything even acupuncture if it doesn't go away. I went to the doctor and he put me on relaxants and anti-inflams. Said exercise might help but I could be stuck with it. When I was due with my last child my hip was out and I could have damaged it then. At the time I was told it would bother me for the rest of my life. Sucks. But any suggestions are appreciated.

jesse's mommy
October 25th, 2005, 10:49 PM
The best thing to find out first is what is causing the pressure on the nerve. It can be anything from a slipped disk, to a misalignment in your vertebrae, to something as simple as an inflamed muscle. Once you find that out you have more choices from a back doctor, to a chiropractor or even a massage therapist. I went to massage school and know if there is an inflamed muscle causing the pressure on the nerve, there is a muscle that you can access through the front of your stomach (sounds weird, but true) that can take some of the pressure away. If you do find it's an inflamed muscle and would like to take that route, please research and look for a reputable massage therapist who knows and has experience with this muscle because it can be very painful if not treated correctly. Hopefully this helps!

gottahavepets
October 25th, 2005, 10:55 PM
I was worried that massage would hurt it more, I have tried heat and cold on it, that worked great until my magic bag started popping like popcorn. I do have a massage therapist in mind, they're very good and they do hot stone therapy, would you recommend that or just regular massage therapy? She did great work on that hip of mine. I didn't even notice it was hurting still, then she made it feel way better.

jesse's mommy
October 25th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Massage can be very helpful if you have the right therapist and if it is indeed an inflamed muscle. When did you notice the pain? Did it seem to just come on or did you move anything heavy or bend and twist a weird way? Did it come on sudden or was it gradual? Do you remember doing anything out of the ordinary that could have caused this? If you decide to pursue massage therapy talk to the therapist first and make sure this type of massage is within their scope of practice before you give them your money. Make sure they can give you specifics on how they handle sciatica because if they aren't familiar with it, they can actually cause more harm than good. It's a very tricky muscle to access, but really does wonders if it is accessed correctly. You definitely want to make sure the person is familiar with this type of massage. Your well-being should be their top priority and they shouldn't tell you they can do this if it's not within their scope of practice. I personally think massage therapy does wonders for the entire body. Not just sore muscles, but a total body relaxation and to be honest in this hectic world we need all the help we can get!

SnowDancer
October 26th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Have you ruled out kidney stones? Since I have suffered from stones and sciatic nerve I know the difference - but know some people who thought they had a pulled back muscle when the pain was really from kidney stones. Not pleasant, by the way.

Rick C
October 26th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Have you ruled out kidney stones? Since I have suffered from stones and sciatic nerve I know the difference - but know some people who thought they had a pulled back muscle when the pain was really from kidney stones. Not pleasant, by the way.

If I get "bunged up" I can tell you my lower back gets very sore. :sorry: I'm not kidding. "Stuff" seems to get caught up down there and pain is transferred to my lower back.

Broadly speaking though, I was having lots of trouble with my lower back a few years ago but gradually began to work on ensuring my weight didn't balloon in the winter, that I was in reasonable physical shape, that I altered my posture to a consistent position when sitting at my desk or on the couch at home, that I adjusted my vehicle seat . . . . .

These days I don't have much trouble with my back at all but it took a few years to work it all out.

Its about ongoing maintenance. But that's only my situation. You might have different things going on.

If you're carrying a lot of weight though, pressure on your back and knees might be the result.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

CyberKitten
October 26th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I have rather severe chronic pain and if I take meds, it is at night when I can afford to be drowsy. Have you looked ino visualization? Also, there are prcedures that can help - like radiofrequency denervation (I have has that and it is not at all bad) commonly known as a "nerve block". The nerve causing pain is essentailly muted, if I can put it that way. It works for many ppl - not for me since my pain doctor tells me I have the most complicated back she has seen in all her yrs of practice (a dubious distinction to be sure). But if it is just the one nerve - sciantic nerve - that is bothering you, I'd definitely look into denervation. You need to make an appt with a Pain Clinic and go from there. Many clinics also have pain support groups - other ppl with pain and medical professional. Here, they meet in the mornings so I do not have time to participate but I do think it would be helpful.

Relxation and reflexology are also helpful. My pain is only helped by narcotics which I won't take during the day so it is a challenge. Since an ulcer required surgery that removed most of my stomach, there is no way I can take NSAID's which I have subsisted on for most of my adult life.

I have developed my own visualization process - visualization is also giving us good results in pediatric cancer - and while for me anyway, it does not completely work, it des alleviate some of the pain. I think it's more a matter of being so busy I have no time for the pain. (Reminds me of that Carly Simon song, Have't Got Time for the Pain, lol)

I also tried gabapentin which did not really help. It does help ppl with nerve pain though and has few side effects so that is another med you could look at. Some ppl also have good results with anti depressants.

Good luck!

gottahavepets
October 26th, 2005, 09:43 PM
jesse's mommy, thank you, I went to bed last night and missed your reply, two weeks ago the pain came on real sudden and I didn't do anything that stands out to have caused it. After about three days it started to ease and I could move again, at that time it felt stiff like a healing tendon does. It was like that for another week or so, gradually getting better. I took a first aid course this weekend and maybe that stressed it again. The pain has been moderate to totally 'annoying', where I just want to pull my leg off and be done with it. Today after two anti-inflams it is feeling better. The muscle relaxant totally wiped me out though so I can only take it at night. As soon as I can I'll call my massage therapist and ask her about it. Hopefully I can control it without being doped up all the time, I have three kids who need me to be here with them in more than just body. Thanks all who have responded, I've got a lot of ideas to try.

jesse's mommy
October 26th, 2005, 09:59 PM
If the two anti inflammatories helped today, then it sounds like it's probably a muscle and not a bone/slipped disk. Usually problems with a bone or a slipped disk pain killers work best. So personally, I think you should give a massage therapist a try at that muscle. Let me know how it works out.

CyberKitten
October 26th, 2005, 10:27 PM
I assumed you had been diagnosed with scatica? Have you? If not, it is pretty specfic - distinct symptoms. (It's the same virus as chicken pox. But if you do not know for sure, please see your doc asap. There is an anti-viral drug that can help in the early stages but the sooner it is given , the better. I just assumed you had been through that. With sciatica, that med is given and then later there can be pain flareups and the pain is treated with a variety of meds.

Also, please be caeful if you take anti inflammatories. Take them with lots of milk!!!! Or at least food. They can be very hard on the stomach - speaking from personal experience and not my medical background tho I have seen that in patients too - not as bad as my own situation and because of that I know anti inflammatories can kill you just as much as narcotics. In fact, they are worse over time. I ended up in heart failure after an obstruction - my own oncologist initially gave me a diagnosis of stomach cancer, thinking my pervious cancer (minor bout given what I see daily) had metasicized. It turned out to be just a very large ulcer that had developed over time and b/c of its location and the fact I am in pain all the time, I did not even know I had an ulcer!! It just felt normal - or what is normal to me. People hear the worst thing about narcotics is addiction but that rarely occurs in anyone who truly needs them. If you take a narcotic for a period of time tho and stop suddenly, you will have to go thru withdrawal - which is not the same thing as addiction - which means you use a med for non medical reasons and "to get high". (Tho admittedly, I fail to see for the life of me why that anyone would willingly want to take that stuff to feel good. They just make me sleepy.) Tylenol 3, percocet or oxy-IR are all good narcotics for moderate pain, Oxy-IR has the same ingredient as percocet without the added acetemenophen, this making it easier on the kidneys and liver. Their other adverse effect is constipation and it makes some ppl nauseated. Oxy-IR did this to me but some ppl can take it without probs. Some can adjust to it without the nausea but I did not really have time to try it to see. (It would have meant taking time off work and there are perfectly good other meds that accomplish the same thing.) I was also nauseated by talwin, a synthetic narcotic - and I hated it. I prefer cold or hot compresses but my own pain physician (an anesthesiologist) says she does not want to treat me for burns in the event I fall asleep with a heating pad. I am secretly hoping the purring of 3 cats may prove to be a pain reliever - and YY does actually seem to know where I hurt and lies against the exact area that is worse and purrs louder than any tractor!! (There are studies on purring and its effects - I'd love to obtain a grant to study it but getting the research methodology and proposal written takes time and rseearch of its own! If anyone has any ideas or experience with the scientific study of purring in cats (which many vets have to admit is a nmystery), please let me know!! My own vet muses that cats, being the smart mammal that they are - with that added touch of mystery - may well be from outer space and purring is some sort of medicinal tool for them. I'd like to think she is partly right. I do know cats are definitely more intelligent than me are, lol

Anyway - good luck with your back pain. Pls obtain a diagnosis if you have not already done so!!!

If it is a pulled muscle or ligament, sometimes cold or hot cmpresses work just as well as medication. Muscle relxanats like flexeril are also good tho the few occasions I took it, it knocked me for a loop! I took it on the w/e when I was not on call or working and I think I was down for the count for the entire 2 days!! That said, some ppl say it does not affect them at all - helps their muscle spasma and does not make them drowsy. So, do not base what you do on personal experiences but on what kind of diagnosis your doctor comes up with, if you have not seen her/him yet.

gottahavepets
October 26th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I did go see a doctor, he didn't say I had sciatica, he didn't really say much of anything, I had that type of pain when I was pregnant so I used that to describe what it felt like at the time. I do think it is a pulled muscle, probably related to the fact my hips have never quite recovered from three births within 4 years of each other. Thank you for the info, I'll tell you what he put me on; cyclobenzaprine,and diclofenac. Are either of these addictive? He said to take them as needed for two weeks then see him again. I don't want to be addicted, if passing out is fun? I only want to do that at night, not during the day!