Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flu shots

doggy lover
October 25th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Who here gets there flu shots? I get mine as I work in health care, my kids as they are both asmatic and I make my husband get his as I don't need him sick. I just wonder if more people are getting it with all the talk about SARS and pandemics.

Schwinn
October 25th, 2005, 02:16 PM
I get one, but I find I usually get sick anyway. I never go to the Dr for the sniffles or anything, so I never find out if it's the flu or not. I usually get it when I'm at the Dr for something else and he says, "Oh, do you want one?" Cheryl never gets one, and she rarely gets sick (though, to this day, I'm convinced she had a bought of West Nile a few years ago).

jjgeonerd
October 25th, 2005, 02:49 PM
I'd rather get sick...don't have to go to work that way! ;)

If they're free I'll get them, otherwise I just brave it.

doggy lover
October 25th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Here the flu shot is free.

gottahavepets
October 25th, 2005, 02:58 PM
My son and I also have asthma and I got him the flu shot one year but it didn't protect him from the flu, he actually got sick more often that year. I like to build his immune system naturally instead with vitamins and echinacea, cold-fx works for adults, never give it to children though. When the mandarin oranges come out he eats them like crazy and doesn't get sick even when other members of our house do.

raingirl
October 25th, 2005, 04:57 PM
I have got one for the last 3 years, and not got the flu once since then. I have REALLY bad asthma, and if I get the flu, my breathing always gets so bad I end up in hospital. I also got pnuemonia 3 times after having the flu.

Actually, I got my flu shot today!

jjgeonerd
October 25th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Here the flu shot is free.

Does everyone in Canada get free flu shots, or just certain areas?

Nothing is for free here, although I worked for a company that paid for all of their employees flu shots if they wanted one.

doggy lover
October 25th, 2005, 05:39 PM
As far as I know it is free all over Canada, we even have free flu clinics in malls. I think it was last year we had to send down flu vac to you guys in the states as you ran out.

Dog Dancer
October 25th, 2005, 06:03 PM
In BC the flu shot is not free to everyone. As far as I know seniors, healthcare providers, teachers and those with chronic conditions like diabetes, heart disease, etc. get them for free from their Dr. or a clinic. Others are required to pay - about $15. My employer provides them for anyone who is interested. I get mine at work, although as a diabetic I could go to the Dr., but that's just another drain on the medical system - one for the Dr. appt and one for the shot, so I let my employer pay the $15.

jiorji
October 25th, 2005, 06:09 PM
never gotten a flu shot in my life. I don't really take any other pills either.
Haven't gotten a cold or flu in 4 years though.

SARS is back?!?! ...........

shannonRN
October 25th, 2005, 11:43 PM
I always get the flu shot, as I work in health care, and I don't usually get the flu :rolleyes: I have gotten the flu during the same season I received a shot though--getting the flu shot is definitely not a magic bullet, but I think it's a very good idea for those at high risk.

Cinnabear
October 26th, 2005, 01:21 AM
I don't think I'll be getting one.

In Alberta it costs 20 but free for high risk, kids under 2, babysitters and seniors.

Prin
October 26th, 2005, 01:53 AM
In Qc it's only free to people at high risk and people who work with people who are high risk.

My man has asthma and he's never gotten the shot.

I've never gotten it either... I love the flu. In CEGEP, I got the "Sydney Flu" which was a really bad one that killed a rugby player in England. I was the third in Qc to get it. It rocked. I slept for almost 7 days straight and lost about 20 pounds... I'd rather the flu than an enteritis... :yuck:

I just haven't figured out if it's better to get the bird flu right away, while it still hasn't figured out the human system yet, or later... Later there might be better treatments available but the virus might be much stronger too... Tough call...

Jazz&Cricket
October 26th, 2005, 09:05 AM
I'm in health care, so the flu shot is 'required' although not mandatory. I'm of mixed feelings...the flu shot is basically a roll of the dice, because the health authorities are making their best guess as to which strain of flu will hit...if they are wrong, you get the flu anyway. So do I really want more 'stuff' in me that might cause my natural immune system to malfunction (like becoming antiobiotic resistant, something I might face since I took massive doses of antibotics in the 80's..I do my level best to avoid any antibotics now.)

Puppyluv
October 26th, 2005, 09:13 AM
I have to get it, because I spend my afternoons with premature babies. Heck I can't even go in there with a sniffly nose, let alone a flu. But even before I started that, I've been getting the flu shot since grade 8, when my (then) coach insisted that we did.

CyberKitten
October 26th, 2005, 04:53 PM
I absolutely get a flu shot. I am both high risk AND I see sick children all day and while they hopefully do not get the flu (they are high risk in and of themselves), there are all sorts of flu bugs - and other things - around our hospital. I have the flu shot at work. A couple yrs aho, I was a "poster girl" on the DOH (Dept if Health) web site since the Minister came to get his shot at our facility. We have a place set up for employees to have their shots - and we even have candies and a room set up with info about infection control. You get a sucker after you have your shot, lol

And in the event some of my patients or their family members did not get a flu shot from their family doctor, we get enough to provide them. Most ppl are good about it but occasionally, they forget or did not get to their family doctor. We have nowhere near the amt of vaccine that a family doc would be giving out though - and I don't bother charging for it since I figure any family member of someone with cancer is potentially high risk. I do not advertize this either tho or I might have the extended families of some of my patients if they don't want to pay the $10. We just make sure to ask usually parents if they have had their shots. I could thus have my nurse give me mne and I could give her hers but it is more fun to take part in the hospital's launch of flu shot awareness. I really want that lollipop, lol

Roxy's_MA
October 26th, 2005, 05:16 PM
I have never got one. The older I get the more I feel I may need it. I have been sick more in the past four years than I had been my whole life. Coincidentally, that is the exact amount of years I have been on my own. I think my diet has changed for the worse since then, as healthy foods cost more than less nutrient foods (I still eat good foods, but I do eat way more crap). I guess I took advantage of the steady supplies of healthy foods when I was at home. Anyway, I think my diet has definatly had an affect on my immune system. Now I just have to build up the courage to get the needle :eek: :eek:

doggy lover
October 26th, 2005, 07:59 PM
It seems like only Ont. offers free flu shots to everyone, it started in high risk, seniors and med. workers, but now its free to everyone.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 26th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Actually I had a flu shot once,when my old work gave them for free. but dont plan on getting one this year. I actually havent had the flu since I was about ten.
The sickest I have been since than was strep throat last year....knock on wood...now I've probably jinxed myself. :eek:

gottahavepets
October 26th, 2005, 10:34 PM
If there was a shot for enteritis or "Norwalk" I'd get that over the flu, we get both of those every year and it keeps coming back. To the flu I say "Bring It On!". Although I do understand it being a very good idea in the medical fields; and the oil and gas industry my husband works in camps and they get them there. The population density is so much higher that a flue will rip right through a camp and all the men (and women) will be down with it. :sick: