Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why does she stare?

kayla
October 25th, 2005, 10:28 AM
I'm sitting at my desk at Kayla, my dog, is staring at me. We're talking a full on unfaltering stare. She does this quite often, every so often I feel her eyes boring into me and realize she has been staring at me for the last few minutes, what does this mean? She does it when I eat too which I think means she wants me to share, but what about when I'm not eating? She very relaxed when she does, lying down, not whining, just staring! Occasionally she stares so long she starts to fall asleep. I remember reading somewhere about only the dominant dog allowed to stare, does this mean she thinks she's dominant? I'm not overly concerned about it, just curious really! Thought someone with more doggy behavior knowledge than myself could shed some light for me :)

doggy lover
October 25th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Mommy I want to play. Tucker stares also but then he is a border collie its in the breed. Maybe she is bord and wants to play. When I'm on the computer too long Tucker barks or moans at me, if I ignore him he will nip me just above the elbow and that hurts. It is his way of getting attenshion. But he can stare for a long time especially when he is waiting out the cats.

LM1313
October 25th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Ebony will stare at me if she needs to go out. Sometimes she'll whine as well, but most of the time she just stares. It's enough to wake me up at night, too! :)

~LM~

jawert1
October 25th, 2005, 11:54 AM
My pointer Simon stares like that when he wants to go outside, he alternates between me and the door so I know when I feel puppy eyes boring a hole through me, we gotta go :)

Prin
October 25th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I take it as "are you ok? Really are you ok? Are you going somewhere? Are you ok? Are you still there? You're not moving right? You're staying there? You'll let me know when you move right? You won't forget about me? I'm very interested to know if you'll tell me when you move. You're not moving yet right?" :D

jessi76
October 25th, 2005, 01:30 PM
When Tucker stares, and it's not that he has to go out, I assume he's either awaiting further instruction, wondering where the heck his treat is, or it's my overwhelming beauty. ;)

Dog Dancer
October 25th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Halo can stare me awake at night too. When she wants out she'll stand beside me and stare at me until I wake up. During the day she'll stare at me and then go look at the door if she wants out. I do wish she'd learn to make a nosie then rather than barking when she's outside! Shadow has very intense eyes and she'll stare when you least expect it, but with her it's nerves - you're not going anywhere without me are you???

kayla
October 25th, 2005, 03:44 PM
or it's my overwhelming beauty. ;)

You know what I think you got it Jessi76! They are thinking "WOW she is so beautiful and magnificent. Maybe if I stare at her long enough I will grow up to be just like her" :p

It could be a milder version of wanting to play, but usually if Kayla wants to play she does more than just stare! I end up with a pile of toys on my lap, and then she grabs my sleeve and tries to pull me off my chair. Yesterday she pulled me all the way across the room (my chair has wheels) it was actually quite fun, a lovely break from studying and I did eventually get the point and takes her out for a walk(us humans can be so slow somtimes) :D

melanie
October 25th, 2005, 05:52 PM
call it what you will, but i call it stalking :D :D

seriously, how many times have ibeen focusedo n something only to feel those eyes, i turn around and she is staring at me. or she does the one where you look at her, turn away look back and she is 2 meters closer but looks the same, spooky friggin dog...... :D :D

as far as top dog staring, well ehres my test, i have always been told never let your dog stare you out, that is dont look away first. so if she is in trouble and i grouch on her and she stares, i jsut stare back till she looks away, cause IM THE TOP DOG and i can stare her out. and eventually she will look away :D

but she is my stalker really, pretty cute one though :D