Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

10 commandments for a responsible pet owner

mycat
October 24th, 2005, 10:58 PM
(I get this from the local newspaper)

1) My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be very painful.

2) Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3) Place your trust in me - it is crucial for my well-being.

4) Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertaiment. I HAVE ONLY YOU !

5) Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me.

6) Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it.

7) Before you hit me, remmember that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you.

8) Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart may be getting old and weak.

9) Take care of me when I get old. You, too, will grow old.

10) Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say "I cannot bear to watch it", or "Let it happen in my absence". Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, I love you.

Byrd
October 25th, 2005, 05:11 PM
That's good, I'm glad they printed it and I hope all the dog owners out there read it. :love:

That last one is really sad though. :(

doggy lover
October 25th, 2005, 05:15 PM
The last one is the hardest one to ever have to do, but if you truely love them you'll be there in the end :angel:

Toonces
October 25th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks for sharing that, our pets give us so much we owe them all of these things listed in particular # 10 :sad:

Byrd
October 25th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Yes, I was there with my last dog, whispering in his ear right to the end.... I think the last words he heard were "You are such a good boy and I love you soooo much". I had to calm myself down a lot, I was pretty hysterical and was afraid that the vet wouldn't let me stay. I'd had him half my life, he was my best friend. :( I think it is our duty that the last voice they hear and the last touch they feel be ours, and not someone they don't know.

MollysMommy
October 25th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Wow, starting to cry... :sad:

doggy lover
October 26th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Byrd I did the same with Travis rubed inside his ears, which use to make him moan with pleasure and told him how much mummy was going to miss him and that I loved him. When he was gone I kissed his forehead and said goodbye baby one more time. It was actually quite peacefull. :angel: