Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who do I call? SPCA?

Puppyluv
October 24th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Ok here's the story:
I took Layla out for a quick walk through the neighbourhood right when I got home from volunteering, so that she could do her business before I made food for myself. We passed by what I always thought was a fenced private yard, but apparantly it's some sort of semi-private garden with an 8 foot chainlink fence, and a pad-locked gate. Inside this little garden (not that little actually, the size of a decent back yard) was a dog, can't say how old he was, because he was really thin. They were sniffing at eachother through the fence, when these two men came from across the street, and started talking to me.
From what they told me, they are neighbours and live directly across the street from this garden, both have windows that overlook it. They first noticed the dog in there on friday night, but didn't see someone put him in there. Since then, there has always been at least one of the two on watch, and they have not seen anyone come to feed or take the dog out. They called/knocked on everyones door in the surrounding buildings, but everyone either a) says it's not their dog or b)doesn't answer/isn't home. They got pretty concerned, so they've been bringing the dog scraps of food (bread, left over dinner etc, as they don't have pets, and they don't have a lot of spare cash) and water.
The dog has a collar on it, but because we cant get to him, we can't see if there are tags.
If I could get to him, I would take him home with me so at least he could be inside until we figured things out, but the gate is seriously locked, and the fence is high (one of the guys tried to climb it while I was there, and it was futile).
I brought two cheap dishes that I use for Layla when we travel and gave the dog some water and some Wellness so that he can eat more than just left overs. He seems starving, he's really thin, and he reacts to the sight of food the way that animals do if they haven't seen it in ages.
I'm going to go back in about an hour and check on him to see if he's still there and ok.
My question is, who do I call? Even if I get someone to come, I'm not sure how they can get to him. I will continue to bring him food, and I know these two men are watching out for him, but I'm just really lost as to what to do.

Prin
October 24th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Aww. That's one reason I hate Quebec. Who do you call? Who can guarantee the dog won't be picked up by the SPCA and put down right away? I hate it.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 24th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Thats terrible, do you anyone that would know how to break the lock so you can steal the dogs. What about digging underneath the fence.

Lucky Rescue
October 24th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Please call the SPCA. The dog may be lost and there may be ID on his collar.

However he got there, he can't be left there to starve and suffer with winter coming on. If no one will take him in, the SPCA is the only alternative.

Puppyluv
October 24th, 2005, 10:04 PM
I'm going to go back and scout it out, see if there are any alternative ways into the area. If there aren't then I'll have some phone calls to make.

2Cats&AGolden
October 24th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Just a warning if you go back - be careful, and don't do anything risky, especially if it's dark out now. You just never know what is going on inside the home, so don't put yourself in harms' way. Good luck.

jiorji
October 24th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Just a warning if you go back - be careful, and don't do anything risky, especially if it's dark out now. You just never know what is going on inside the home, so don't put yourself in harms' way. Good luck.

yeah no kidding!!
be careful!

I wonder why nobody's answering. Poor baby!And it's getting colder now too Puppyluv :sad:
Is there no gate?? Can't one of the guys bring a ladder to jump over the fence and open the gate?

april07
October 24th, 2005, 11:43 PM
That is so sad,that poor dog :sad: It so awful,some people get animals and totally neglect them,how can they be soooo cruel,it's heartbreaking :sad: I hope you get things figured out and able to get the poor dog out of there.

CyberKitten
October 25th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Surprise, I was awakened by the phone and now can't get back to sleep so in reading this, wondered what you decided to do. Please be careful - we need every person committed to medicine these days. :D (Can you tell I am having one of those days vis a vis trying to influence seniors in med school to opt for pediatrics, lol)

Seriously, you really SHOULD be careful. You never know why they have a dog - God knows what they may be doing behnind closed doors. Tho on the other side of the coin, that poor pooch sounds starved and ravenous! It's wonderful of you to try to help the dog. If you do get arrested for dog napping, I'll volunteer my sister's services - (Her official photo has a dog in it - the one who was almost arrested by the Surete (cannot create an e accent egu on this and I am too lazy to use the char map) for barking in the wrong official language. Then again, if she can't keep her own dog out of trouble.... maybe you need Irwin Cotler, :D He is available at the same number, except when he is in Ottawa.

Sorry - I don't mean to sound so flip, I must be more tired than I thought. I do think you should contact the SPCA - let them earn their money instead of relying on so many vlunteer groups and then getting the lion's share of the press. But make sure they don't put the guy to sleep - I do not trust that SPCA too much, except when the area of communications is involved. Pierre (whose last name I cannot recall) IS good at that!

Good luck with the dog!!! I hope you get help for him (or her?)

Shaykeija
October 25th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Nothing a good pair of bolt cutters couldn't take off fast and quietly. Just be carefull.

happycats
October 25th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Nothing a good pair of bolt cutters couldn't take off fast and quietly. Just be carefull.
:thumbs up I was thinking the same thing!! But please be very careful!

cpietra16
October 25th, 2005, 07:14 AM
I don't know the situation, but is it possible to dig under the fence, unless its asphalt. Please be careful.

Puppyluv
October 25th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Sorry I didn't come back on last night.
Well I went back at around 11:30 last night, and looked for some options. It's ashphault under the fence, so digging wasn't an option, although the dog tried to dig through the concrete anyways (It was really sad to see him just scrape at the ground) The only way into the garden is through the one gate that is padlocked. I thought about a ladder, but the fence has cut barbs on the top (you know, the kind that take giant gashes out of your skin) And I'm not sure how this dog would react to someone just plopping over the fance and trying to scoop him up.
There was a sign on the garden saying it was owned by the eco-quartier of my neighbourhood, and a youth group, some sort of "beautifcation-youth-outreach" joint venture. I can't see this dog being put there by either of these two groups.
My parents were visiting me last week and bought me all new bath towels, so I took 4 of my old ones and tossed them over the fence into a pile, once I started to back away, he started to sniff at them and lie down, so at least he had something to sleep on.
I called the SPCA last night and they told me that they would have to "deal with it tomorrow", nothing could be done at midnight.
I went back and checked on him this morning at about 7, but I didn't see him anywhere, although there are tonnes of bushes and trees, (so many that I almost didn't see him last night when he was standing right at the gate) so he may have been sleeping in the bushes. I'm going to go back and check before I go to school, and also call the SPCA again to make sure they don't just "forget" I called.
ARRRGHHH this makes me so mad and so sad!!! :mad: :(

CopeyO
October 25th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Please keep us posted as I know I will not be able to stop thinking about it until I hear back from you.

Maggie

doggy lover
October 25th, 2005, 08:37 AM
People are so nasty, bolt cutters would get him out. It is better you called the spca at least they have the legal right to break him out. Good luck and let us know how things go.

Puppyluv
October 25th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Well I went back again, now that it's light out, and I couldn't see the dog anywhere. Now that it's light out, I could see all the way through to the other side, and there's a fence on that side too, but on that side, it is on soil, and it uses a building as one of the "fences". Where the fence meets the wall, is a gap, which could possibly fit the dog if he really tried. The food I left him last night was all gone, but I couldn't see him anywhere. I don't know if he snuck out, or if whoever put him there came and got him. I will make sure to add that street to my usual route, to keep an eye on it, but I don't think anything can be done now that he's just a roaming dog. :( :(