Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new puppy owner

zoey2
October 24th, 2005, 09:30 PM
i just got an english bullodg name zoey . she is 4 months old. i nevered owned a dog before so if you have any tips pls let me know!

doggy lover
October 24th, 2005, 09:37 PM
I find getting a good book on training will help, Dog training for dumbies is a good book and available at most book stores. Also get your dog into puppy classes if your a first time owner. Most people here are eager to help with any questions you have so ask away.

zoey2
October 24th, 2005, 09:41 PM
i am starting her at a puppy day care once a wk. have you heard good things about doing this?

Puppyluv
October 24th, 2005, 10:13 PM
I wouldn't put her in day care until after puppy classes. Are you planning on doing classes? They can be great for socialization and some basic training.

zoey2
October 25th, 2005, 06:16 PM
i never took her to classes,but she went to the daycare today and they said she loved it. she got along w/ all the dogs ,most bigger than her.

Puppyluv
October 25th, 2005, 06:19 PM
The reason I reccomend the classes is because it allows your puppy to socialize while you are there, I'd imagine that she probably really enjoys the day care, because it's play time, just classes might be more beneficial in the long run.

MollysMommy
October 25th, 2005, 09:46 PM
My puppy goes to daycare. She loves it also. But it is also important that your puppy learn some basic commands. Another thing to keep in mind with daycare is the quality...did your puppy have to go through a temperament test? Did the daycare require all your puppy's vaccination records? If they didn't, I would be careful as to what dogs your puppy is interacting with. The last thing you want is for your puppy to be harmed or for her to catch something from another dog. The daycare that I take Molly to requires that each dog get along with every other dog there before he/she is allowed to start coming. They are very strict and that makes me feel secure in that my puppy is going to be as safe as possible.

MollysMommy
October 25th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Also, read as many books as possible. It is so important to be educated. I went to my library and got tons of them. After awhile they start restating a lot of things...that's when you know you've read enough to survive as a beginner dog-owner. And believe me, this website is beyond helpful. I've learned more here than I could have ever learned from books. Experience is very valuable.

zoey2
October 25th, 2005, 10:20 PM
yes the daycare did ask for all records,they also had a ton of paper work i had to fill out. she must of had a great day she has been sleeping since she had been home.

zoey2
October 25th, 2005, 10:22 PM
how do u get a pic of your dog on there?

MollysMommy
October 26th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Where do you want to put a pic? In a post? Then you just hit "manage attachments", pick the file, then upload it. Simple as pie. "Manage attachments" is below where you write when you're posting.

Molly also sleeps the rest of the day when she comes home, and she only goes for half a day.

zoey2
October 26th, 2005, 08:39 PM
this is my baby

doggy lover
October 26th, 2005, 08:46 PM
What a cute baby you have.

MollysMommy
October 26th, 2005, 10:30 PM
She's adorable!

jesse's mommy
October 26th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Zoey is adorable! :p

gottahavepets
October 26th, 2005, 11:14 PM
She's sooo cute! I know daycare and classes has been mentioned. Has she started chewing on everything? Before she does if she hasn't yet, get a couple of knotted chew toys the right size for her, soak them in plain water (broth if you don't mind washing them) then freeze them. This acts like a cold teether on her little puppy gums, as one thaws toss it back in the freezer and pull out the other. You'll save a bundle on shoes! :thumbs up

zoey2
October 27th, 2005, 07:42 PM
thats a neat idea thanks.

mastifflover
October 28th, 2005, 11:45 PM
What a cutie and welcome. I suggest a great way to puppy proof your place lie down on the ground you know have a view of everything your puppy sees and could possibly chew and you can get it out of the way before it becomes a chew toy. Also for safety, electrical cords, ropes that could get wrapped around the dogs neck. You would not want anything to happen to your baby that you could prevent. Also when it is hot never over exercise your bully and I would get a book about English Bulldogs because there is a lot to learn healthwise. You will as all of us do keeping learning as you go but we are here for asking anything.

Toonces
October 29th, 2005, 08:36 AM
That is one adorable puppy you have there Zoey.

I have never had a puppy we have always adopted older dogs. Stick around here these folks know alot and are always great to answer any questions.