Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

looking for another cat but not just any cat..

scuba0095
October 24th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Hey everyone

I currently have a 10 year old male cat and am thinking about getting another cat. Right now All that lives in the house is one dog (german shepherd) and the cat and those are the only pets. We have a big bird coop in the backyard. However I am not looking for just just any reg cat. I was looking for one that would mboth make a great house pet and a great hunter. MY current cat that is getting pretty old has killed a lot of weasels and rats that came into our area trying to get in the bird coops etc.. . To find another cat like this will it be hard?? Color wise I was hoping to finally own a solid black cat but i guess temperment is number one as a cat that hunts is a HUGE GIANT PLUS IN THIS HOUSE LOL I was thinking of maybe seeing if anyone had any tom barn cats to adopt but I would want to bring them in the house and him his shots and get him nutered as well. (like keeping my pets healhty lol) But im not sure how realistic this is. AHhh millions of cats out there but how on earth do i find one that will have the working traits and personality to fit in here? :sorry:

scuba0095
October 24th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Oh yeah and I am from Kingston Ontario so if anyone can steer me in the right direction please do so! THNX :)

kayla
October 24th, 2005, 06:52 PM
I've never met a cat that doesn't hunt! :p

You could always try to find one at a shelter. Maybe you could work something out with them that if the cat isn't working out you could take it back until you find the perfect kitty? I think some shelters have a one week trial period. Lots of rescue people on this site though so I'm sure they will be able to be more helpful than me!

Another bonus of a shelter is they include spay/neuter and vaccinations in the price of adoption.

scuba0095
October 24th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Hi

sorry i did not see the cat rescue thread! I will post this message there. LOL

scuba0095
October 24th, 2005, 07:13 PM
OH wierd it wont let me post there... Oh well

happycats
October 24th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Hey Scuba,
I have a stray thats been hanging around for quite some time now.
She is a great hunter, she has killed rabbits, rats, and squirrels and birds in the yard!!
She is not bothered by dogs or cats. email me at likemymike@hotmail.com. I live in Oshawa, and am willing to meet you half way. I would really love for her to have a permanent home before winter.

\Thanks

CyberKitten
October 24th, 2005, 07:49 PM
OMG, killed rabbits - sorry, I know it is instinct but I can't fathom the words killed and rabbit in the same sentence on a pets web site. (I still mourn my bunny - who was the alpha male of the house, to both cat and dog!) In my house, the bunny chased the cat and vice versa of course. I have an award winning picture (the pict had to be good given my then photography skills, lol - I am improving a little) that shows my bunny and cat and dog at play. And rhe dog was a beagle!! I had to summon courage just to admit to my vet that I had a beagle and a bunny in the same house, lol (Even neutered tho, my bunny thought it was just fine to "hump" his beagle brother - guess he was coming out. :) Seriously, he did it once when we saw him, he was taught to never do it again - by virtue of a Ty Beanie Baby Buddy that was a rabbit almost the same size as him. Barring that, there were my socks, lol

I am sure any Humane Society (SPCA) would have some barn cats that otherwise would be pts by them!! Call them!!

happycats
October 24th, 2005, 08:05 PM
I apologize Cyberkitten.
And I feel awful that she kills things too. But I can't let her in, and I have been unable to find her a home.
Scuba may be the answer, he's looking for a hunter, and I have one that kills anything that enters my yard!!.

scuba0095
October 24th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Hello

I just wanted to also add that i am not to keen on cats killing animals as they are a domestic species not native to here etc... BUT I know this is selfish but my current cat has saved me MANY many problems in the past hes like our hero. ONe day he actually cornered and killed a weasel that was trying to get into my bird coop, had that weasel of gotten in all my birds would of been finished that night. THEY SEEM ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to keep out they can squeeze threw almost the impossible! Rats are another issue here, god knows why they love our area so much LOL sometimes mice and rats have gotten in the house as well and usually my cat is fast on catching them.. I do not even dislike these animals but they can spread many diaseses etc.. I get my cat dewormed every 4 months cause he catches so many lol Overall cat does a decent job but hes also 10 and For the longest time I have been thinking of getting another cat just like him. If i c ould clone him I would get at least 5! LOL

Lucky Rescue
October 24th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I wish you were closer! We have a bunch of barncats who need homes.

Hope it works out with you and Happycat