Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What would you do?

BettyThompson
October 24th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Do you have any sudgestions about were I can turn for help after Ive already called the vets in the area? I live in a very small town, the only vet who comes to town only does so once a week. I called the next two vets that are in the phone book and they cannot help me until they see Ugly,one of my puppies) in about a week, none will give me any advice until then. I'm really kinda scared. One has already died. What is the consiQuinces of giving them human antibiotics? Im very sorry if this is agianst the rule but I have no where else to turn. Ugly acts fine the only symtom is drooping eyelids.

Roxy's_MA
October 24th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Do you have a vehicle. Can you drive them to a vets. They need medical attention IMMEDIATLY!

BettyThompson
October 24th, 2005, 05:14 PM
The next closest place is 2 and a half hours away although I have a Car I dont Know anyone here yet and I don't get paid until monday. I dont have anyone to help me out There are no hock shops in town or anything that is why I asked about the peniccilan

doggy lover
October 24th, 2005, 05:23 PM
I would never give human meds to a dog, never mind a puppy. You don't know what is wrong with this pup and giving him human meds could KILL him. Take the puppy to a vet or get someone to take it for you, as soon as possible.

Roxy's_MA
October 24th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Check with the vets that are in driving distance. See if anyone will take a payment plan. I know some places do this. How old is the puppy? Is it a litter? If not where did you get them from. Maybe the original owners would be able to help you.

BettyThompson
October 24th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Ugly is 6 months old He isn't the part of the same litter. I have called all the vets in the phone book. Thank you, if the medicine will kill him I wont give it to him and i guess ill just hope for the best until the vet will see him. I'm sorry if i was any trouble thank you

doggy lover
October 24th, 2005, 05:44 PM
It's no trouble, what did the other pup die from what were his symptoms? Do you have two litters, what was the age of the other pup when it died? If you could give more info it might help, but if two pups are showing the same symptoms you could lose both litters. Send us more info and see if someone with more experience can help you out!

Puppyluv
October 24th, 2005, 05:54 PM
I'm aq little confused... :confused:
what is wrong with Ugly? what was wrong with the pup that died? When did it die? how many pups/litters do you have? Not to be harsh, but you've posted almost no info, so I don't see what advice anyone can give you.

CyberKitten
October 24th, 2005, 06:27 PM
I would happily offer some advice but the info is very confusing. I realize you may be in a remote area - or it sounds like it??? (Hard to tell without my clicking on Mapquest or Google Earth) I think you have no other option than to get your babies to a vet asap. I do not want to sound harsh but it all seems very dire - esp after one death! I cannot imagine NOT seeing a vet in a situation like that no matter where you live.

I guess I also do not see the prob if you have a vehicle? If no one can help you, how do you get to work? Who looks after the dogs when you are away? Could you not leave the healthy ones (are any of them healthy?) with that person while you take the ill ones to a vet. I often used to travel 3 hrs away to take my bunny to a vet who had knowledge about bunnies so 2 1/2 hrs hardly seems very long to travel, esp in an emergency!!! If you need people to help you bring the puppies to your vehcile, could you not ask a neighbour - if you don't know them, this actually might be a good opportunity to do so. If you do not want to ask anyone, can you not bring one puppy per carrier out and then when tou get to the vet, they can assist you. I think you are overcomplicating things.

And do not give human antobiotics to an animal unless s/he has been seen by a vet!!