Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bone marrow test

julie Lombardi
October 24th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Has anyone ever had a bone marrow test done on there dog before??? If so can you let me no how much it cost and the results.
Thank you so much !!! :angel:

doggy lover
October 24th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Julie I'm sure someone here has gone through this befor, this is one thing that I have not. I'm sure they will help you. I guess this is about your lab Dozer wasn't it, he is still not well?

julie Lombardi
October 24th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Thank you .... well.. yesterday he seemed a little more energized ! He is on predisone so he has heavy breathing ( panting ) it just concerns me. I hate to see him like this, it breaks my heart !!! We take him back for another blood test next week to see if his blood count is up any. My husband just left to go get some chicken livers that I am going to boil and put on his food. Today at work someone told me they are a great source of Iron. I just hate this waiting game. Iam so scared he has cancer. He is such a GREAT dog. Thanks for caring it means so much !!!!!!! :)

doggy lover
October 24th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I lost a dog to cancer last year I understand what you are going through, good luck and give Dozer a hug for me, that name makes me laugh it is what my husband has always wanted to call our dogs. :p

CyberKitten
October 24th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Are you still waiting for the diagnosis? Has he already had the bone marrow aspiation procedure? I do them all the time in humans and have to admit I am not sure what's involved with dogs - though I suspect it may be similar. Perhaps they might have to sedate an animal though - just as young children need to be. (It's not the most fun kind of test to be honest and I imagine dogs like kids may be less than impressed at having to endure it. Have you looked at vetinfo. The site may have info on what it's like for dogs.

I am sorry your dog is going thru this. I hope you get results soon and that they good ones!!

julie Lombardi
November 2nd, 2005, 08:47 PM
:D Hi ! I am sooooo excited.... Dozer is getting better. I have been giving him chicken liver for the past week and a half and his coloring is coming back ! His gums are pinker and as alot more spunk. I am still not sure what is wrong or what the cause was or is but the chicken liver has seemed to do wonders. He is down to one predasone a day now. We are soo thankful that for now he seems to be getting better.
I just wanted eveyone to know that if your dog is servely anemic try the chicken liver ( fully cooked ) I feel it really works.

ps.... THANK YOU so much for caring :angel:

jesse's mommy
November 2nd, 2005, 08:55 PM
I'm glad to hear your dog is better. And yes I have to agree, Dozer is a great name!

doggy lover
November 3rd, 2005, 02:29 PM
I'm glad to here he is doing better. Did you ever get the test done, what were the results?

julie Lombardi
November 7th, 2005, 06:09 PM
no we never did the test ..... but is his old self again !~ He goes back to the vet next Thrusday for more blood work so hopefully we will no some more. Have you ever heard of feeding chicken liver to dogs with anmeia?

BMDLuver
November 7th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Anemia is caused by a reduced iron level is it not? Therefore, most likely any liver would boost iron as would some vegetables such as spinach and broccolli.