Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why is my kitty urinating on stuff in the house.

tdoodlebug26
October 24th, 2005, 03:28 PM
I have two 6 month old female Torties. One of my babies urinates all over the house. It started out with her just urinating on our bed and now she has started urinating on practically anything soft. I thought at first it was the stress from our move, but now we are all settled and she is getting worse. I am taking her to the Vet this week to see if she has any medical problems. If its not medical what else could it be. I love my babies very much and couldn't bear to adopt them. My husband is getting very frustrated and I don't know what to do. I have a very small apartment and an automatic litter box. If anyone has any advice I am desperate to hear it.

Thank you

Lucky Rescue
October 24th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Lots of things can cause this. The first thing I think of is bladder/urinary tract infection. This is very painful and if the cat feels pain in the litterbox, they try to find a spot to go where it doesn't hurt them.

Are these cats spayed? If not, have this done asap, as hormonal changes due to sexual maturity and heat cycles can also cause inappropriate urination.

It could also be stress from the move as you mentioned.

Get the vet check first, then come back and we can take it from there!:)

CyberKitten
October 24th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Ditto to what Lucky said tho you should also be sure the litter is clean and I wondered if the automatic litter box was new. Cats hate change and I know a few cats who were not all that enamoured of the automatic litter box. (and it has been known to cause injuries) .

The number of plavces almost suggests a urinary tract infection but you should taker her to the vet to rule that out or verify that it is causing the problem. Cats with uti's associate the litter box with pain and thus avoid it.

Also make sure you clean the places she has urinated in thoroughly. If she still smells her urine, she will continue to go there. And don't use Javex or anything containing bleach!

tdoodlebug26
November 14th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Thank you for your responses, I have taken her to the Vet and he agve me Clavamox to clear up an infection if there was one. Unfortunatly, it didn't help she has now migrated to urinating on pretty much everything that is soft.

Both of my cats are spayed and we have now placed the regular litter box we used before out as well as the automatic one.

When we took her to the vet he didn't want to test her urine because he said it was painful and if the clavamox dosen't change anything then her problem is probably a behavior issue. Unfortunatly, due to my current location I have no other choices for a Vet. What should I do?

Thank you