Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is the favourite choice for puppy necessities?

rivers
October 24th, 2005, 01:51 PM
I have tons of questions, but I'll start with them one at a time, lol.
As some of you know, I have a new 9 week old schnauzer puppy. She is adorable and too cute.

I am from sunny South Africa originally, so having a puppy in this country is very different, and I don't recognise brand names in the stores, and have no idea what to buy.
The shelves in the stores have endless variety, and as a first time consumer of puppy stuff I am overwhelmed with the choices.

So firstly, what toys did you find are a puppies favourite and keep her occupied for a reasonable time?

Shampoo: I need to get a good shampoo for her, as in 1 week, I have had to bath her 3 times! With this wet weather, and her being so close to the ground, her feet, little legs and belly are sopping and muddy after her walks.

Treats: Which brands are good? A friend gave me a handful to try on her, but I think they are upsetting puppies tummy. They are small sausage shaped with something tasty inside. I need to find out the name of them.

Doggie biscuits: same thing, which brand should I buy? I want to use these for house training.

Food: I tried Nutrience and Wellness. She refused to eat these. I now have her on Eukanuba. Is this ok?

And lastly potty training. I have had dogs before, but they lived outside, and only on occassion did they come into the house.
So my question is, what do I say or do to puppy when she has an accident in the house? Do I ignore it, and hope to get her outside in time next time?
She doesn't have a crate, she roams around the house freely, as I am home most of the day. At night she sleeps next to my bed with a barrier placed along one side, so she can't roam around. Am I doing this right?
I am thinking of getting a run-around, instead of a crate.

Ok, that's it for now. Fire away at suggestions!!
:pawprint:

rivers
October 24th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Ebony rolling around in the leaves

Rottielover
October 24th, 2005, 02:00 PM
My fav choice would have to be a crate....
Then chew toys...Hard chew toys for teething.
A good buckle collar, and enrollement when she is ready for OB class
As for food, there are many foods alot better than eukanuba
Such as wolf cub. or Natural balance, or canadie

jessi76
October 24th, 2005, 03:06 PM
So firstly, what toys did you find are a puppies favourite and keep her occupied for a reasonable time?

Puppy Kong.

Shampoo: I need to get a good shampoo for her, as in 1 week, I have had to bath her 3 times! With this wet weather, and her being so close to the ground, her feet, little legs and belly are sopping and muddy after her walks.

Bathing w/ shampoo 3x/wk may dry out the skin.

Treats: Which brands are good? A friend gave me a handful to try on her, but I think they are upsetting puppies tummy. They are small sausage shaped with something tasty inside. I need to find out the name of them.

I use Solid Gold jerky treats - they come in 3 different flavors, and you can break them into smaller bites very easily.

Doggie biscuits: same thing, which brand should I buy? I want to use these for house training.

I make my own, there are many recipes out there to try. When I do buy them, I buy Mother Hubbard.

Food: I tried Nutrience and Wellness. She refused to eat these. I now have her on Eukanuba. Is this ok?

Go to the dog food forum, Prin has multiple posts on great food choices. (My pup really likes the Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul brand)

As for the accidents, unless you catch her in the act, don't scold her for it. and when you do catch her, don't yell and scream, a serious No will suffice, and take her outside to finish, then praise like crazy!

kimbilly
October 24th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Hi Rivers, I am from South Africa too (Cape Town) and when we got Bentley we were totally confused. It is a totaly different way here. My dog in SA was also an inside dog, but it seemed totally different.

I had never heard of Crate Training before and things like Kongs etc were all new. We made the decision to try and keep things as healthy as possable for him, so went with all good stuff. He is on Wellness food, he has Old Mother Hubbard treats or home baked preservative free treats.

He has a kong for when he is left alone and a ball that he has to roll around to get the treats out.

For house training we used the word buisness and had him outside ALL the time (well that is what is felt like) and it all came with time. We also never gave him complete run of the house. If i was in the kitchen he was locked in there with me and that went for any room of the house. We have a very open plan house, so blocked off areas with cardboard boxes, not attractive to look at, but it served the purpose.

I hope this helps and enjoy the little fur ball.

Luvmypit
October 24th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Congrats Rivers again,
I have a suggestion if your going to shampoo puppy so often use a Oatmeal based shampoo. I have one and its the only one I will buy. Its called Vet Solutions Oatmeal shampoo. This is only at the vets office though.

It has no soap in it just basically allows the dog to keep more of their natural oils while giving them a good clean. My dog has a bath once a month but sometimes when its rainy he gets more and its important not to dry out his coat.

Lucky Rescue
October 24th, 2005, 04:50 PM
So my question is, what do I say or do to puppy when she has an accident in the house? Do I ignore it, and hope to get her outside in time next time?

If you leave the puppy free in the house, and she eliminates, it's not her fault since she has no idea she's not supposed to do that.

The aim of housetraining it to prevent accidents, since each time she eliminates in the house, this behavior is reinforced.

You need to confine her when you can't watch her, or she'll never be housetrained. At 9 weeks, she has virtually no control over when she goes - the time between her having the "urge" and going is very short. Take her out every time she wakes up, right after eating, sleeping and playing. Take her on a leash and stand there until she goes, then praise her like crazy.

MollysMommy
October 24th, 2005, 08:27 PM
I know this has nothing to do with your post, but your puppy is absolutely adorable!!! Gosh, I love puppies. I really wish I would have gotten Molly sooner because I missed out on half her puppyhood. Make sure you enjoy it all you can!

Prin
October 24th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Kongs are great. You can stuff them with stuff when you leave and it keeps the doggy busy for a while... I also love the Air Dogs made also by Kong. They're tennis balls in different shapes. (My doggies love them.)

Eukanuba is not the greatest food out there. I know a couple of doggies who were stiff all the time and got sore easily because of Eukanuba.

It's really hard to find a good puppy food. I have looked for people before and so many of the good brands put corn in their puppy foods- I don't know why. You want to avoid corn, by-products, brewer's rice, soy, and anything with either "animal", "meat" or "poultry" anywhere in the ingredients. Those terms are not specific enough to tell you what animals your dog is eating. :yuck:

Wellness makes a good puppy food, but your doggy doesn't like it, right? Solid Gold makes 2. Hundchen Flocken and Wolf Cub. Hundchen is lamb and rice for all doggies, while Wolf Cub is made for bigger doggies, but after speaking with the doggy nutritionist at Solid Gold, he said it's not different enough to make a huge difference if given to little doggies. Wolf Cub is very tasty...

My doggies are on the Wolf King and I guess it's been about 8 or 9 months now, and they still wake us up to eat. In my experience, foods with fish in the first few ingredients tend to help the fur become shinier and healthy.

For the baths, I suggest just rinsing unless the doggie is very disgusting. Like everybody said, overwashing leads to a bunch of problems...

rivers
October 25th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Kimbilly! Hi and welcome to Canada, lol! We moved here April 2003. Seems like shorter. Thanks for the tips and help.

So I guess a Kong is in order and the mother hubbard biscuits.

About the washing, if I just rinse her now and again when she is really wet and muddy, is this ok for her skin? It won't dry her skin out too?
Our dogs in SA got a bath once or twice a year, and sometimes we let them swim in the pool! Remember that Kimbilly?!

I'll stick to the eukanuba for now, as at least she is eating, whereas she didn't eat for 4 days with the other brands I tried, and I had to resort to feeding her chicken, meat and rice.
But I would like to feed her something better, so I'm all ears (or eyes) to suggestions on what to move on to once this packet is finished.

The house training is going better after I read on here about taking her out every 20min. I also took her to the site that she likes to poop, and a success, yeeha, so she got a treat. All I have to figure out is how regular she is and when, because yesterday I took her out, she peed, came running back to me for her tummy rub, we went inside, and 2 minutes later she pooped in the house. If I know more or less what time she needs to go, I can get her out in time. :fingerscr

Keep the tips coming. Thanks everyone

jessi76
October 25th, 2005, 10:39 AM
I'll stick to the eukanuba for now, as at least she is eating, whereas she didn't eat for 4 days with the other brands I tried, and I had to resort to feeding her chicken, meat and rice.
But I would like to feed her something better, so I'm all ears (or eyes) to suggestions on what to move on to once this packet is finished.

It's best to switch food gradually - so since you have some Eukanuba left, and you want to switch, I'd recommend switching now - at first mix in a little of the new to the euk.. then more, then more... gradually - over a couple weeks. Otherwise an immediate switch could result in tummy troubles for the pup. also, stick to a feeding schedule - same times, everyday. also try to pick the food dish up (even if it's not gone) in a reasonable amount of time (I give my pup 20 min- half hour, then I take it up).

rivers
October 25th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Lifting the food off the floor: She nibbles all day, is it neccessary to lift the food up? When should feeding time be then? Morning and night?

jessi76
October 25th, 2005, 11:10 AM
some people free feed (leaving food out all day) and some don't. Personally, I do not. I'm sure you can search the forum for pro's/con's of free feeding, or someone will post here for you.

I prefer to have set meal times for my pup. When he was very young (wks) I fed him 3x a day. Morning, noon, evening. When I noticed he wasn't interested in his lunch anymore, I eliminated it. Then my pup decided he didn't want breakfast anymore - so that was gone too. (he prefers a "brunch" around 10-11am, but since I work full time, I give him a big stuffed kong for the morning) and now, we're down to 1 official mealtime at night, 7pm.

Feeding times really depend on you & your pup's schedule.

kimbilly
October 25th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Our dogs in SA got a bath once or twice a year, and sometimes we let them swim in the pool! Remember that Kimbilly?!

Oh yeah, my dog was always in the pool with me. She had long hair, so we got her groomed once a month too.

On a side note, Rivers, we have been here since Oct 2002, feels like forver and at the same time it all feels new. Are you in Toronto?

rivers
October 25th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Kimbilly- I'm in Halton Hills, near Georgetown. There are still days when I feel like a newbie and don't know what the h#ll something is, or how to do something. I can see an entire new learning episode coming when it snows for puppy. Salt and stuff...

oh, another example is 'Stuffed Kong for breakfast'! What is this? I thought a kong was a plastic toy?

jessi76
October 25th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Kong:
http://www.kongcompany.com/default2.asp

rivers
October 25th, 2005, 06:51 PM
ok, now I see! Why do they love the kong so much? Do they love it even if it hasn't been stuffed? Do I get the red one, or the blue one?

jawert1
October 25th, 2005, 08:08 PM
I mix stuffing mine with the Kong Liver Stuffin's or just straight peanut butter, though Peaches and Simon will play with it stuffed or unstuffed till the cows (or me) come home. Simon I think chews on his all the time simply because it's one of the few things he doesn't chew through (and that's a challenge for him!) :)

TobsterMom
October 26th, 2005, 07:52 AM
I'll give you some of my preferred neccessities.

A crate.....would never attempt to raise a puppy without one.
Stainless steel dishes....easy to clean, plastic will wear the black from nose
Kong
Road Hockey Balls.....indestructable, bright and easy to find.
Good quality collar and leash
Good quality grooming tools, especially with a Schnauzer.
Vet Solutions Shampoo....Love love love the stuff (available at vet)
Medi-cal food and treats....I switched my dog to this from Iams, will never feed anything but! (available at vet)
Milkbones...Not something I'd feed regularly, but my dog won't go to bed without his "cookie" every night :rolleyes:

Congrats on your new baby...she's precious. We're actually looking into getting a Schnauzer baby :love:

jessi76
October 26th, 2005, 08:45 AM
ok, now I see! Why do they love the kong so much? Do they love it even if it hasn't been stuffed? Do I get the red one, or the blue one?

they love it because you stuff it with yummy-goodness! some things I stuff my pup's kong with: chicken pieces; cream cheese; peanut butter; kibble; chicken broth (plug up hole w/ a treat, fill w/ homemade chicken broth and then FREEZE); dog cookie bits; string cheese; steak pieces; carrots; etc...

I used the Puppy-Kong when my guy was young - it's smaller and easier for them to chew and carry around. When my guy finally put some good gashes, and basically destroyed the puppy kong, I moved up to the red one.

rivers
October 26th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Sounds like loads of fun! I'm amazed they actually get the stuff out of it. Must have looong tongues?!

So as I am a stay at home mom, and am around pup all day, when would I give pup access to the kong? All day? When would I stuff it for a treat?

jessi76
October 26th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I give my pup a stuffed kong when I need to do stuff, like dishes, laundry, cleaning, etc... yes, he's with me, but I can't watch him, so giving him a kong keeps him out of trouble for a while so I can get things done. I also give him one when I need to leave, so he's not focused on me leaving and being gone.