Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my 12 year old dog has a problem

brenda s
September 7th, 2003, 02:11 AM
My dog has had mucus coming from her nose for several weeks. The vet gave her 2 rounds of antibotic and some drops. So far nothing has helped. She has this nasal discharge all the time. The vet said it may be her teeth, however her health wouldn't endure a tooth cleaning procedure. Does any one have any suggestions? I am having to clean this stuff up all day long.

Carina
September 7th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Poor dog. Has your vet had a really good look at her teeth? If it's serious enough to make her nose run, what she probably needs is more than merely teeth cleaning. She likely has an infected or abcessed tooth, or a cracked one, that could just be pulled. If you've ever had a toothache, you know how painful it could be for her!

I'd ask your vet to really inspect her teeth. Get a second opinion if you have to. A mild sedative & local anaesthetic would probably suffice for inspection/tooth extraction, I don't think she would need to be completely put under.

You can alleviate pain with regular buffered aspirin, given with a meal. Adjust the human dose for her weight and give accordingly.

golden girl
August 18th, 2007, 12:38 AM
I agree if the dog has a broken or decayed tooth that is causing pain or infection that it could and should be done with a local.:yell: There is a product called Oxy Fresh - you put it in the dogs water and there is also a gel which can be rubbed or brushed onto the gums. It sooths and cleanses and helps control the bacteria in the mouth. The only place I know where to get it is TLC Grooming and Sharpening Service in Ottawa and she does do mail order. Good Luck:fingerscr

rainbow
August 18th, 2007, 01:21 AM
This thread is almost 4 years old and the OP has never come back.

golden girl
August 20th, 2007, 12:13 AM
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

rainbow
August 20th, 2007, 12:33 AM
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .......I love your sense of humour. :D