Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need help, or suggestions

Rottielover
October 24th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Hi all. As you all know I am finally moving out away from my ex on Friday. Which is leaving me with almost no furniture, except baby stuff. Which I bought. I am looking for a cheap couch. Being a single MOM, and getting out of debt, I can not afford much.
Can someone point me in a right direction, or if someone knows of someone getting rid of a couch, it would be greatly appreciated.
The main thing is my daughter is ok, and she has enough stuff. And the dog is great. Now I am slowly trying to work on me..
So if anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated.....
Thank you.....Karen

BeagleMum
October 24th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Oh, if I had only known this a couple of months ago, I gave away a couch and chair set. If I hear of anything, I will pass the word on your way. Good luck and stay strong.

Rottielover
October 24th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Thank you for the thought. Up until now...Moving this fri, I thought my ex was giving me his couch :mad: decided not to.
I am tring to stay strong for my daughter and the dog....Worse thing to have is a rottweiler owner who is an emotional wreck

Rick C
October 24th, 2005, 02:16 PM
If you weren't 2,500 miles away, I could have helped you as I have a developing surplus of couches . . . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Roxy's_MA
October 24th, 2005, 02:45 PM
If you weren't 2,500 miles away, I could have helped you as I have a developing surplus of couches . . . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Ditto, I am trying to get rid of a couch two chairs and a automan as well.

Blaze01
October 24th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Have you tried Goodwill or Habit for Humanity? They usually have pretty decent stuff. Sure its not the best looking but i had a friend get a couch for $15. What about local yard sales? Clearance ideas at walmart and k-mart?

Prin
October 24th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Look in the paper... We've gotten a couple of temporary couches (in great condition, but not our colors...) from the paper. My friend also got a brand new Ikea sofa for $200 in the paper. It's worth a look.

CyberKitten
October 25th, 2005, 02:13 AM
I have some excess stuff too you are welcome to - if you were closer. That not being the case tho, have you checked out Montreal's Craig's List? Or the 2nd hand places like Value Village, Frenchy's or Salvation Army? Do they have Frenchy's in Quebec? (Mostly 2nd hand clothes but they get really good stuff, designer stuff, it's great - my secretary buys the greatest stuff there, seriosly new clothing for next to nothing.) I tend to buy books but that's me. A group I belong to has an agreement with Value Village if we pick up stuff for them, we get a percentage of profits. It gives us way more than any gvt grant!!

There are always garage sales too - check out the Gazette or La Presse (not sure if Le Devoir, in their claim to be the intelligensia of Mtl's elite, would even bother with ads. Surely they need to make money. :) There are prob more ads in weekly advertizers - there must be some on the west island.

Rottielover
October 25th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Hey guys....I have been looking constently, but so far no luck. around me all garage sales are very small, no big furniture. I have tried the salvation army, and village valuer, so far no luck.
The ones there were ripped, and mildew smelling, which I can not have in the house due to the fact I have a young child.
I am still on the search, the only things that are in real need are lamps and a couch. Other than that I have found everything else.
I can not believe how hard this is, starting new and all alone.
I am trying to keep my chin up, but let me tell you today I am having a real hard time

doggy lover
October 25th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Sorry to hear that you are so down Rottilover, but things will all work out for the better in the long run. Try the for sale section in your local news papers, and if worse comes to worse, just get a couple of big pillows to sit on for know. Eventually you'll find something. My thoughts are with you.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 25th, 2005, 10:19 AM
When we first moved into our house we had it furnished with those camper chairs for at least the first year if not longer.
Then we finally bought a couch and a chair. Then gradually accumulated more stuff. Then my husbands brother showed up with huge truck load of furniture. He had gathered from my husbands family. Now I am trying to get rid of it. I would send you a couch or two but like everyone else I am to far away.
You will find something soon. I would suggest if you have any of those liquidation places or discount warehouses maybe there is something there. :)

I am tring to stay strong for my daughter and the dog....Worse thing to have is a rottweiler owner who is an emotional wreck

This is what pets are for to help us through tough times.

Jazz&Cricket
October 27th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Hang in there! Maybe you could find a used futon that will double as a couch..sometimes IKEA has 'as is' furniture..it might need a bit of repair, but worth looking into. What about one of those 'flip chairs' that can be a single bed/couch?
Good luck, you've taken the first important step.

LavenderRott
October 27th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Try Freecycling. There should be a group for your area.

http://www.freecycle.org/

maddoxies
October 27th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Rottilover, I sent you a pm with my phone number, I might be able to help you out

glasslass
October 27th, 2005, 06:28 PM
This is really weird! As I'm reading these posts, there are 4 Google ads at the bottom of my screen advertising couches! Must be subject sensitive. I too wish you were closer as I have a 5-year old Lazy-Boy couch that looks new that I'd love to rehome to someone who could use it. I had king-size mattresses, also a queen-sized set, hauled off by my lawn man yesterday. Consolidating households, we have too much stuff. You sound down right now. Hope you can feel the encouraging vibes emanating from all the members here. Things are moving in the right direction and will get better. :grouphug:

Prin
October 27th, 2005, 07:12 PM
LOL glasslass! Me too. Couches couches couches...

You might want to check the "Tel Quel" at Ikea, too. My dad got his leather one in there for $400.