Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poop question

raingirl
October 24th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Ok. Already called the vet and they said to wait 24 hours to see if it happens again, then bring him in.

Because Odin is a bulldog, his tail covers up his bum. When he poops, we need to wipe his bum each time to get all the poop off, or it's gets irritated. This morning after he pooped and we wiped his bum, there was a dime size amount of bright red blood.

Anyone know what it could possibly be? I looked at his bum and in his tail curl/pocket and nothing was bleeding there, so we figure it was from his poop. There was no blood in/on his poop though, and his poop was normal.

He is behaving like his normal michevious self. Eating and drinking fine.

I'm feeling so bad having gone to work, in case something is wrong with him. I may leave early though, and go home to be with him. Grr..which means i will have to cancel my own doc appointment for tomorrow, because I can't leave early two days in a row.

Lucky Rescue
October 24th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Bright red, fresh blood means it's coming from the lower intestines/colon. This can be something very minor - irritation from something he ate, parasites etc. or it can be something more serious.

If this happens just once, I wouldn't worry. If it happens again or often, then definitely check it out!

raingirl
October 24th, 2005, 10:21 AM
thanks for the reassurance. THis is the only time it happened, and it was bright red.

We didn't feed him anything different this weekend. He was stressed though because we were training him to let us grind his nails (using the dremel). Could that have done it? Made his system upset?

doggirl
October 24th, 2005, 11:30 AM
It could be from a rectal tear; did you see any evidence of such? The blood was on his anus, not on his poop?

raingirl
October 24th, 2005, 11:58 AM
I only saw the tissue after, and I didn't walk him. My BF said there was no blood on his poop, and his poop was normal. I looked at his bum a few minutes after we wiped it, and there was no evidence of any cuts or tears, or any blood.

doggirl
October 24th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Might've been a small rectal tear...if so it should resolve itself...sounds like something that should be watched but nothing to be too concerned over at this stage.

Prin
October 24th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Was he forcing? When Boo is sick, he's afraid of diarrhea (he was beaten for it, which wasn't fun because he was intolerant to chicken...), so he forces and forces and causes himself to bleed (we've since taught him "It's finished" and he stops...).